The Student Room Group

Is Clearing worth the Gamble?

So pretty much , i have two offers

Law with Business - 3 Years - Portsmouth

Computer Science with Foundation - 4 Years - Angila Ruskin

Im currently studying Btec Engineering and im Predicted a DMM

I know this looks ridicolous lol , i was wandering if you think its worth it to reject both offers and try to get a lower-end russel group through clearing

I originally wanted to study at portsmouth just so i could maybe do a 1 year masters at a Tier1 University to increase my chances but then i chose to add a computer science course to my options so if i do get accepted then i have some time to think about it

I want to study law but im real enough to know that it will be very difficult even with a 1st From Portsmouth so i decided i want to study computer science because it still has a high salary and i enjoy it kinda....

The big con with computer science at angila is that im going to have to spend a extra 20k for a foundation year at a average uni?

I thank you for reading and i understand if you can't make sense of this

How big of a gamble am i taking?
clearing might not happen this year though , cause UK exams are cancelled this year (clearing starts on results day)
Reply 2
depends if you are willing to have a year out.
Original post by stereotypeasian
clearing might not happen this year though , cause UK exams are cancelled this year (clearing starts on results day)

i'm pretty sure it's still going to take place - u can check to verify
Original post by sirhazthe1s

I know this looks ridicolous lol , i was wandering if you think its worth it to reject both offers and try to get a lower-end russel group through clearing

I originally wanted to study at portsmouth just so i could maybe do a 1 year masters at a Tier1 University to increase my chances but then i chose to add a computer science course to my options so if i do get accepted then i have some time to think about it

I want to study law but im real enough to know that it will be very difficult even with a 1st From Portsmouth so i decided i want to study computer science because it still has a high salary and i enjoy it kinda....

The big con with computer science at angila is that im going to have to spend a extra 20k for a foundation year at a average uni?

The reality is nobody knows whether clearing is going to take place and, if so, how many spaces will be available. How lenient universities will be and how many overseas students wont come this year might affect it.

I would be tempted to look into rejecting both offers and try getting into Computer Science without foundation through extra as it gives you more options than clearing. Why are you looking at foundation courses. What GCSEs do you have and in particular what grade Maths do you have. How flexible are you as to where you will study.
Further to my previous post there will be many universities who are likely to accept you with DMM as long as you have GCSE Maths at grade 4 although some may require grade 5. Some might not accept you with your particular BTEC but many will. Having done a little bit of quick research have you looked at these
University of West of England wants 120 points and you are only just off that so they might accept you.
University of South Wales accept DMM with grade 4 Maths
Aberystwyth university are making offers in the range DDM-MMM with grade 4 Maths.
Plymouth University are offering 112-120 ucas points with grade 5 in Maths but might consider 4.

These are just a few options and there will others if you do your research. Look into where you are interested and email the departments. You could try ringing but in the current climate email would probably be better
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
Further to my previous post there will be many universities who are likely to accept you with DMM as long as you have GCSE Maths at grade 4 although some may require grade 5. Some might not accept you with your particular BTEC but many will. Having done a little bit of quick research have you looked at these
University of West of England wants 120 points and you are only just off that so they might accept you.
University of South Wales accept DMM with grade 4 Maths
Aberystwyth university are making offers in the range DDM-MMM with grade 4 Maths.
Plymouth University are offering 112-120 ucas points with grade 5 in Maths but might consider 4.

These are just a few options and there will others if you do your research. Look into where you are interested and email the departments. You could try ringing but in the current climate email would probably be better

Thanks for taking the time to make this but i dont think those universities are any better than portsmouth or angila ruskin however originallly i was going to do a foundation year but now i kinda think its a waste of time and money.I have spoken to Portsmouth and they think that i have a good chance of going from Law to Computer science without a foundation year

Im basically thinking of doing a 3 year Computer science degree followed by a 1 Year GDL , i think this combination might give me a advantage over other people applying to law firms.What do you guys think?
Thanks for taking the time to make this but i dont think those universities are any better than portsmouth or angila ruskin however originallly i was going to do a foundation year but now i kinda think its a waste of time and money.I have spoken to Portsmouth and they think that i have a good chance of going from Law to Computer science without a foundation year

Im basically thinking of doing a 3 year Computer science degree followed by a 1 Year GDL , i think this combination might give me a advantage over other people applying to law firms.What do you guys think?

These are probably as good as your choices. The problem is Ruskin have offered you a foundation year but some or all of these might not. If Portsmouth are prepared to offer you a place on a computer science course without a foundation year you are sorted. However make sure it is a computer science course and not anything else. The main issues are that some universities might only accept a BTEC in IT or computing or the Maths GCSE grade although I suspect the BTEC that you are taking might be accepted in most places and that you probably have a decent Maths grade to get on to your BTEC. If all else fails with Portsmouth check other universities as these are just examples I have used to show you that you will probably get in without a foundation year

Hey there,
This is just a quick side note!
If you aren't sure about the foundation year, make sure you speak to our admissions teams by emailing [email protected] they may have offered you a foundation spot if this is what you applied for, but do ask to check if your existing grades/predicted grades could get you in without the need for a foundation year. Our team will be able to advise.

All the best in your future studies
Megan
#TeamARU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending