The Student Room Group

Official Cambridge Adjustment 2020 thread

Scroll to see replies

just want to say a big thank you to @Doones for always being helpful and timely with his/her responses, and for assuring students in this almost-surreal time <3
Reply 81
Agreed!! Thank you! @Doones
Well, this forum aged well.
Frankly, this uncertainty makes me anxious and scared. I'm sure others are feeling the same way.

Thank you @Doones for being assuring in this time.

Would it not stand to reason that, if we don't do exams and get awarded our predicted or something similar, the summer pool won't happen? I don't suspect anyone would have received an offer if they'd not at-least been predicted the minimum grade requirements for the course.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Also Cambridge give out more offers than they have places
I think that there's going to have to be some form of assessment. I guess this could mean that adjustment could still happen... idk
Reply 86
Original post by helicopterbrawl
Frankly, this uncertainty makes me anxious and scared. I'm sure others are feeling the same way.

Thank you @Doones for being assuring in this time.

Would it not stand to reason that, if we don't do exams and get awarded our predicted or something similar, the summer pool won't happen? I don't suspect anyone would have received an offer if they'd not at-least been predicted the minimum grade requirements for the course.

Original post by rach223344
I was thinking the exact same thing. Also Cambridge give out more offers than they have places

Original post by lorna.kp
I think that there's going to have to be some form of assessment. I guess this could mean that adjustment could still happen... idk

At this stage I would assume Adjustment will happen as normal.
Reply 87
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/further-details-on-exams-and-grades-announced

Government said grades will be given without examinations. Which will be based on performances of the student on various assessment methods done so far. Will this allow the chances of securing a place with Cambridge adjustment more likely or less? We will just have to see. Will Cambridge adjustment happen even, we don't know
Original post by Doones
At this stage I would assume Adjustment will happen as normal.

I am really hoping that it continues this year but it just looks so unlikely that the possibility adjustment will happen this year due to the given circumstances.
@Doones do you think there’s a possibility of adjustment taking place ?
Really hope adjustment is still happening at Cambridge.
Original post by somebrick
Really hope adjustment is still happening at Cambridge.

Same here. I’m just confused because a student could be given grades less than they would want so how would they be able to apply for adjustment. It’s a real mess at the moment.
Original post by Bobleeswagger16
Same here. I’m just confused because a student could be given grades less than they would want so how would they be able to apply for adjustment. It’s a real mess at the moment.

I don't understand where the confusion is?
Yeah I'm really hoping it is; my interview feedback was actually really positive and I've been working my butt off. So I'm really hoping that this opportunity won't be taken away :frown:
Original post by JockstrapAttack
I don't understand where the confusion is?

Now that grades are being calculated, if a student was to get lower than the entry requirement, how would they be able to apply. This is confusing as they could’ve definitely met or exceeded the entry requirements given that the summer exams took place.
Now that grades are being calculated, if a student was to get lower than the entry requirement, how would they be able to apply. This is confusing as they could’ve definitely met or exceeded the entry requirements given that the summer exams took place.

FYI, to be eligible for adjustment, you not only have to meet the minimum offer requirement but also exceed it by at least one grade. If a deselected applicant doesn't meet those conditions but still wishes to go to Cambridge, then they would have to sit the exams in September and reapply in that academic year.
Reply 96
Original post by JockstrapAttack
FYI, to be eligible for adjustment, you not only have to meet the minimum offer requirement but also exceed it by at least one grade. If a deselected applicant doesn't meet those conditions but still wishes to go to Cambridge, then they would have to sit the exams in September and reapply in that academic year.

Not quite, you need not to have exceeded the Cambridge entry requirement, though it may make it more competitive. You need to exceed the firm choice made on UCAS and have met the entry for the Cambridge course
I know how adjustment works, it’s just that now a student who could’ve got A*AA or above in the real exam could’ve been given AAA and therefore didn’t meet the entry requirements because there was no exams this summer. How is that fair?
I know how adjustment works, it’s just that now a student who could’ve got A*AA or above in the real exam could’ve been given AAA and therefore didn’t meet the entry requirements because there was no exams this summer. How is that fair?

None of it is 'fair'. It's just a situation which has to be dealt with somehow.

Original post by Jakazen
Not quite, you need not to have exceeded the Cambridge entry requirement, though it may make it more competitive. You need to exceed the firm choice made on UCAS and have met the entry for the Cambridge course

Exactly.
Original post by Reality Check
None of it is 'fair'. It's just a situation which has to be dealt with somehow.

Exactly.

That’s a reasonable point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending