The Student Room Group

summer plans now that exams are cancelled ?

so now that us year 11s don't have any exams to prepare for, what are your plans?

my school has totally stopped for year 11s and we just went in for a final assembly this morning. i don't think my teachers are setting work either as there isn't any point. is that similar to other schools?

we seem to have an extra 3 months now, so whats a good way to spend our time in isolation?

personally, i think i'm just going to prepare for A levels, read, and spend a lot of time doing art. i never really have the time to create my own pieces as they're usually for school so i'm excited to have so much time to explore!

next year i will be doing art, latin, classical civilizations and GPR (the Cambridge Pre-U). my Latin teacher is amazing and said she will give us a list of first year vocab for us to have a look at, so i will definitely get a head start and learn some of that while keeping up my prose translation. for classical civ, i already have many classical texts (from ovid, virgil, homer etc) so im planning to try and get through them. and then i'll obviously keep up art :smile:

on the side, i am quite interested in doing some extra learning and online courses. does anyone know a good site for this? i know there is a lot of free courses on OpenLearn, but i'm just wondering if there is a way to get any full qualifications in this time.
also, i know next year i want to begin Gold Arts Award as my school offers it and i have already completed Explore, Bronze and Silver. i could possibly start writing that! i could possibly start researching for GPR too.
also as a bit of fun (or just me being incredibly bored) my teacher gave us some Ancient Greek GCSE books, so i might have a look at that!! ive never done it before but i would like to try as i want to do a classics degree at uni :biggrin:

how about you guys? how are you spending this time and how is your school reacting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 15colesch
so now that us year 11s don't have any exams to prepare for, what are your plans?

my school has totally stopped for year 11s and we just went in for a final assembly this morning. i don't think my teachers are setting work either as there isn't any point. is that similar to other schools?

we seem to have an extra 3 months now, so whats a good way to spend our time in isolation?

personally, i think i'm just going to prepare for A levels, read, and spend a lot of time doing art. i never really have the time to create my own pieces as they're usually for school so i'm excited to have so much time to explore!

next year i will be doing art, latin, classical civilizations and GPR (the Cambridge Pre-U). my Latin teacher is amazing and said she will give us a list of first year vocab for us to have a look at, so i will definitely get a head start and learn some of that while keeping up my prose translation. for classical civ, i already have many classical texts (from ovid, virgil, homer etc) so im planning to try and get through them. and then i'll obviously keep up art :smile:

on the side, i am quite interested in doing some extra learning and online courses. does anyone know a good site for this? i know there is a lot of free courses on OpenLearn, but i'm just wondering if there is a way to get any full qualifications in this time.
also, i know next year i want to begin Gold Arts Award as my school offers it and i have already completed Explore, Bronze and Silver. i could possibly start writing that! i could possibly start researching for GPR too.
also as a bit of fun (or just me being incredibly bored) my teacher gave us some Ancient Greek GCSE books, so i might have a look at that!! ive never done it before but i would like to try as i want to do a classics degree at uni :biggrin:

how about you guys? how are you spending this time and how is your school reacting?

my school is closed but i'm still gonna be home-schooled for the next two weeks. i also probably meet up with my friends cause we're gonna dye our hair. my hair tips are gonna be electric blue
Reply 2
Original post by electriclions15
my school is closed but i'm still gonna be home-schooled for the next two weeks. i also probably meet up with my friends cause we're gonna dye our hair. my hair tips are gonna be electric blue

oooo that sounds so cool ! a lot of people are affected by the virus where i live so we cant really go out :frown: i know a lot of people dying their hair and i really want to as well lmao, i hope it goes well !!
Reply 3

That all sounds like a great idea :smile: I'm currently taking classics, latin and art as some of my gcse options (I absolutely love these subjects ), and next year for alevels taking english, history and classics/latin (undecided, but I might end up taking both). Preparing for alevels (and obviously gcses if they happen )with the time we have sounds really good, ty for motivating me :smile:. And i'm considering taking a classics degree too! I used to have ancient greek sessions in y10, so I might brush up on that, it's really fun. I'm also probably going to work on some piano and learn some new pieces, maybe attempt to compose! My friends and I were also considering doing our final pieces for art at home.

I was seriously upset, as I have to self-isolate, so couldn't come in for our last days of year 11. Thank you, genuinely for lifting my spirits, and it's really nice to see someone with similar passions. Hope everyone stays safe!
Reply 4
Original post by m0rb
That all sounds like a great idea :smile: I'm currently taking classics, latin and art as some of my gcse options (I absolutely love these subjects ), and next year for alevels taking english, history and classics/latin (undecided, but I might end up taking both). Preparing for alevels (and obviously gcses if they happen )with the time we have sounds really good, ty for motivating me :smile:. And i'm considering taking a classics degree too! I used to have ancient greek sessions in y10, so I might brush up on that, it's really fun. I'm also probably going to work on some piano and learn some new pieces, maybe attempt to compose! My friends and I were also considering doing our final pieces for art at home.

I was seriously upset, as I have to self-isolate, so couldn't come in for our last days of year 11. Thank you, genuinely for lifting my spirits, and it's really nice to see someone with similar passions. Hope everyone stays safe!

ah that sounds good, my school don't offer a classics gcse as they do ancient history and i just wanted to do normal history :frown: is it good? and aye classics gang!! its always fun to find someone here that likes it too :smile: ive never looked at Greek before now but ive heard its really interesting, my school only teach bits of it to the alevel students who want to do a classics degree, so it just seems nice to do it early.

are you carrying on with your art? im not sure what to do as i cant go see anyone to take photos of for my development :/ i might just finish up the pages ive started, but im hoping that my coursework will be enough tbh. what exam board/theme are you doing? :biggrin:

and oh no that sucks you have to isolate! i hope youre well and safe! my mum is pretty much making my family isolate now that school is done, just to minimise anything happening as lots of people i know have the symptoms :frown: im glad i helped you feel better, just remember its all going to work out in the end! :smile:
Does anyone know when us (year 11s) finish school officially, because I want to know whether I can get rid of my uniform now.
Reply 6
Original post by f0rgotmyusername
Does anyone know when us (year 11s) finish school officially, because I want to know whether I can get rid of my uniform now.

schools close for now on friday, and many expect that to last until september. but i would keep it for now as you might need to attend a leavers event, or on the small chance that exams ARE only delayed. i'd probably wait a few weeks at the minimum to see what happens
My school is setting work on google classroom. But if you think about even if exams were not cancelled, we still wouldnt be able to have the 'best summer of our lives'. This is because coronvirus would probably still stop us going to festivals, holidays and parties etc:frown:
Reply 8
ah that sounds good, my school don't offer a classics gcse as they do ancient history and i just wanted to do normal history :frown: is it good? and aye classics gang!! its always fun to find someone here that likes it too :smile: ive never looked at Greek before now but ive heard its really interesting, my school only teach bits of it to the alevel students who want to do a classics degree, so it just seems nice to do it early.

are you carrying on with your art? im not sure what to do as i cant go see anyone to take photos of for my development :/ i might just finish up the pages ive started, but im hoping that my coursework will be enough tbh. what exam board/theme are you doing? :biggrin:

and oh no that sucks you have to isolate! i hope youre well and safe! my mum is pretty much making my family isolate now that school is done, just to minimise anything happening as lots of people i know have the symptoms :frown: im glad i helped you feel better, just remember its all going to work out in the end! :smile:

hiya :smile: Sorry for the late reply, the last few days have been v weird. Classics gcse was insanely fun, (yes classics gang- i love that lmaoo) there being quite a variety in terms of what you learn; y10 more cultural context, our module was on women in the ancient world, and y11 more literature based (The Odyssey) and some weird stuff of the site of mycenae

For art, my examboard is edexcel; the coursework theme was 'hidden and reveal' and the exam theme we were currently working on was 'events' (but with art everyone pretty much ends up doing whatever they want and link it to the theme in some elaborate way right lmao) I have been carrying on with art (only have done one piece so far), apparently our teachers want us to send photos of whatever work we have and the work they want us to do (so they want us to continue with it). I think they're still going to try send our work to edexcel, though I'm not too sure.

Hope you're doing well :smile:

It sounds like we’ve chosen similar A-levels! I too want to do some courses and have been doing some on openlearn but they’re not a qualification (as you said).
I too plan to do a classics degree! :smile: but I didn’t do Latin at GCSE. My sixthsform do a small introduction course but it doesn’t go up to GCSE level, I hope that doesn’t affect my hope to take Classics at uni. (Hopefully Cambridge)

My school is still setting work but are only bothered about receiving the work if it’s a subject you plan to take at A-level. In case you’re wondering I’ve chosen
-classics
-maths
- English lit/Lang (the two in one course)
(i’m not sure if English is a good choice for me as it’s not my strongest.. I’m not awful but I’m worried that I won’t enjoy it.)

I’m guessing you did Latin at GCSE, if so, can you recommend any websites or books that might allow me to get the basics?
Thanks!
Original post by Frances353
It sounds like we’ve chosen similar A-levels! I too want to do some courses and have been doing some on openlearn but they’re not a qualification (as you said).
I too plan to do a classics degree! :smile: but I didn’t do Latin at GCSE. My sixthsform do a small introduction course but it doesn’t go up to GCSE level, I hope that doesn’t affect my hope to take Classics at uni. (Hopefully Cambridge)

My school is still setting work but are only bothered about receiving the work if it’s a subject you plan to take at A-level. In case you’re wondering I’ve chosen
-classics
-maths
(i’m not sure if English is a good choice for me as it’s not my strongest.. I’m not awful but I’m worried that I won’t enjoy it.)

I’m guessing you did Latin at GCSE, if so, can you recommend any websites or books that might allow me to get the basics?
Thanks!

*chance /not hope!
im jealous how much free time you guys got now to do whatever u want lol. im in Y12 so we're still studying at home. but if i had a whole 5 months until school starts again id do things i never got a chance to do because of school priorities, or focus more on improving other hobbies/skills. i wouldnt start A level content yet though unless youre really bored and have no other hobbies. theres plenty of time to study them in 6thform, so enjoy having no school-responsibilities now while u can... 😔
Reply 12
Original post by m0rb
hiya :smile: Sorry for the late reply, the last few days have been v weird. Classics gcse was insanely fun, (yes classics gang- i love that lmaoo) there being quite a variety in terms of what you learn; y10 more cultural context, our module was on women in the ancient world, and y11 more literature based (The Odyssey) and some weird stuff of the site of mycenae

For art, my examboard is edexcel; the coursework theme was 'hidden and reveal' and the exam theme we were currently working on was 'events' (but with art everyone pretty much ends up doing whatever they want and link it to the theme in some elaborate way right lmao) I have been carrying on with art (only have done one piece so far), apparently our teachers want us to send photos of whatever work we have and the work they want us to do (so they want us to continue with it). I think they're still going to try send our work to edexcel, though I'm not too sure.

Hope you're doing well :smile:

oh cool!! im doing events too, and i started looking at protests but i havent done anything since... hope yours is going well!! my teachers havent asked for anything haha. im suuuper excited to start classics at a level :smile:
Hate to break it to you but summer plans will definitely be cancelled as well.
Original post by lilTrain
im jealous how much free time you guys got now to do whatever u want lol. im in Y12 so we're still studying at home. but if i had a whole 5 months until school starts again id do things i never got a chance to do because of school priorities, or focus more on improving other hobbies/skills. i wouldnt start A level content yet though unless youre really bored and have no other hobbies. theres plenty of time to study them in 6thform, so enjoy having no school-responsibilities now while u can... 😔

If you think about it year 12 are in the worst position.
Reply 15
Original post by Frances353

-classics
-maths

Thanks!

hi!! what openlearn courses have you been doing? ive done one on the Aeneid and theres quite a few more classical and law ones i want to try out, but i dont think the courses themselves are really that worth it atm from what ive looked at :frown:

for Latin, i would suggest the John Taylor books as they take you through many exercises while introducing new grammar points in a manageable way. theres 2 books (Latin to GCSE 1 and 2) and at GCSE we only used the 2nd one as it is quite consistent to the difficulty of the exam, but i think the 1st one should explain the language in a way thats easier to understand if you have no experience in Latin yet. I would definitely suggest trying the language out as its actually rly interesting! im using the equivalent books to learn classical greek at the moment, it seems to be the best way to learn these languages and im really enjoying it :smile:
another series of books people tend to use in KS3 are the Cambridge Latin Course books, but honestly i would say just use the John Taylor books as CLC is suuuuper boring and not really like the GCSE lol. Im pretty sure you can get these on their website though if you did want to have a look.

and yess classics at cambridge is the dream goal for me too !! :smile: i wouldnt worry about not having the gcse, by showing you have looked at the language in sixth form shows you care for the subject, as long as you apply for the 4 year course :smile:
hi!! what openlearn courses have you been doing? ive done one on the Aeneid and theres quite a few more classical and law ones i want to try out, but i dont think the courses themselves are really that worth it atm from what ive looked at :frown:

for Latin, i would suggest the John Taylor books as they take you through many exercises while introducing new grammar points in a manageable way. theres 2 books (Latin to GCSE 1 and 2) and at GCSE we only used the 2nd one as it is quite consistent to the difficulty of the exam, but i think the 1st one should explain the language in a way thats easier to understand if you have no experience in Latin yet. I would definitely suggest trying the language out as its actually rly interesting! im using the equivalent books to learn classical greek at the moment, it seems to be the best way to learn these languages and im really enjoying it :smile:
another series of books people tend to use in KS3 are the Cambridge Latin Course books, but honestly i would say just use the John Taylor books as CLC is suuuuper boring and not really like the GCSE lol. Im pretty sure you can get these on their website though if you did want to have a look.

and yess classics at cambridge is the dream goal for me too !! :smile: i wouldnt worry about not having the gcse, by showing you have looked at the language in sixth form shows you care for the subject, as long as you apply for the 4 year course :smile:

Thanks for your advice for Latin!
I too did the Aeneid course and I did at the Latin ones but they only focussed on how Latin sounded. I did another one that was classics based, I can’t remember off the top of my head what it was 😂

In french I was only predicted a 5 which probably isn’t going to look great for a language based course at uni, but I might re take it next year or work hard to learn the basics of Latin while there is lots of free time. I was close to a 6 but I think I could have got a 7 as I didn’t try enough in the mocks as I focussed on other subjects. Oh well!

I did classics at GCSE but I’m the only one in my class who is carrying it on for a-level! I’m really surprised as it’s my favourite subject and I would’ve thought that someone else in the class would be passionate about the subject as well!

I don’t think my sixthsform does the Cambridge pre-u and I don’t have any extra qualifications (I don’t play an instrument or anything) so I’m a bit concerned about not getting enough UCAS points! I know I’ve got a while to get them but I think it would be good to get some now, I just don’t know how.
Original post by Greywolftwo
If you think about it year 12 are in the worst position.

doesnt make me feel any better tho 😔 i agree, but why do u think that is? because we still have exams next year that will go on as normal but we wouldve had 3 less months of school-time revision? though may be a pretty good time for people who work better at home i guess. how about the Y10s
Original post by lilTrain
doesnt make me feel any better tho 😔 i agree, but why do u think that is? because we still have exams next year that will go on as normal but we wouldve had 3 less months of school-time revision? though may be a pretty good time for people who work better at home i guess. how about the Y10s

For us, no school until September, maybe later. We can’t do any work experience, we can’t do masterclasses
Original post by Greywolftwo
For us, no school until September, maybe later. We can’t do any work experience, we can’t do masterclasses

Y12 too? yeah it was a real shame ive never even got to do work experience yet, and when i finally got the opportunity to, i got emails just few weeks later saying it aint gonna happen.. looks like im going to uni with no experience unless i take a gap(which i will either way). i hope the work experience/masterclasses will continue as they would next year without needing to reapply..

Quick Reply

Latest