The Student Room Group

When teachers ignore students, is it because they find the student annoying?

Or are there other reasons? This can be in class or through emails. Why do teachers tend to ignore certain students?

Scroll to see replies

It’s hard to tell without context but do try to bear in mind that sometimes teachers behaviour is not necessarily a reflection on the student.
The teacher may simply be busy, bad at returning emails or they have a rudimentary way of prioritising.

Try not to take other peoples behaviour personally. Otherwise, simply ask the teacher in question.
Agree with Anonymous #2 and I add that there is a sometimes the possibility of a teacher being turned off by the student's approach. Students should be aware of their teacher's needs and reactions then tailor their behaviour accordingly.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Agree with Anonymous #2 and I add that there is a sometimes the possibility of a teacher being turned off by the student's approach. Students should be aware of their teacher's needs and reactions then tailor their behaviour accordingly.

Oh dear. Is that student's impression on this teacher forever tarnished then?
Oh dear. Is that student's impression on this teacher forever tarnished then?

Not necessarily. There are possibilities for redemption.
Or are there other reasons? This can be in class or through emails. Why do teachers tend to ignore certain students?

Are we talking about university or school?
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Are we talking about university or school?

University.
University.

You don't have 'teachers' at university. You have lecturers.

Students can be incredibly irritating, pushy and demanding. This never gets them very far, and they're likely to get sidelined or pushed to the back of the queue. Some students act like they're the only person in the entire cohort and make unreasonable demands on lecturer's time and attention.
University.

I think you need to provide context. Generally, academics are busy people, so it might seem like they are ignoring you when in fact they are just busy. Do you seek them out during their office hours, or do you only ever email them? Are these emails low priority/asking for information you could find elsewhere?
Reply 9
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I think you need to provide context. Generally, academics are busy people, so it might seem like they are ignoring you when in fact they are just busy. Do you seek them out during their office hours, or do you only ever email them? Are these emails low priority/asking for information you could find elsewhere?

This person generally responds to my emails and the topic in question wasn't irrelevant as they actually asked me to email them. I emailed them twice this week with no response to either, which I don't mind. I'm just hoping I didn't annoy them.
This person generally responds to my emails and the topic in question wasn't irrelevant as they actually asked me to email them. I emailed them twice this week with no response to either, which I don't mind. I'm just hoping I didn't annoy them.

Well, they obviously aren't ignoring you - they may have children they need to supervise or higher priority work to do now that most academics are working from home. If you've already emailed them twice, leave it for a while before emailing again, as nagging them won't work.

What if they asked you to email them as a polite way to brush you off? As in ‘ya okay cool, just email me, bye now’.
Or they’re really just so busy.
Original post by Reality Check
You don't have 'teachers' at university. You have lecturers.

Students can be incredibly irritating, pushy and demanding. This never gets them very far, and they're likely to get sidelined or pushed to the back of the queue. Some students act like they're the only person in the entire cohort and make unreasonable demands on lecturer's time and attention.

Can confirm. I would never completely ignore a student, but an overly pushy or demanding/entitled student usually finds their email is the last one answered in my pile of things to do...
What if they asked you to email them as a polite way to brush you off? As in ‘ya okay cool, just email me, bye now’.

Jeez. I hope not. I mean we're on great terms irl so that would be a complete 180.
Reply 15
You might be a mitherer. Mitherers wait when I'm dealing with them.
Original post by gjd800
You might be a mitherer. Mitherers wait when I'm dealing with them.

I'm not! I swear. Basically what I sent them was a question scheduling a regular meeting time for us for tuition. This was before I was aware of lockdown. Then I sent another two days later telling them to disregard the previous email as I sent that pre-awareness, but if they could e-mail me some resources that we're currently working on, it would help me work on it myself. No response either. No more mail from me after.
Reply 17
I'm not! I swear. Basically what I sent them was a question scheduling a regular meeting time for us for tuition. This was before I was aware of lockdown. Then I sent another two days later telling them to disregard the previous email as I sent that pre-awareness, but if they could e-mail me some resources that we're currently working on, it would help me work on it myself. No response either. No more mail from me after.

In that case they mighta just forgot. I dunno what the staff situ is in your place, but in mine we are getting an overwhelming amount of emails from both students and, worse,the institution with seemingly hourly updates on the COVID siuation

Try again!
what happened in the end?

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you feel yourself or someone else is being ignored. While I can't speak for all teachers, I can help provide some context as to why you may feel like this. Generally, it is nothing too personal. The most common cause of delays via email and other digital platforms is because of teacher's workload and schedules - which has only been heightened during the pandemic.

During a class setting, perhaps it is because they want to ensure everyone has a share of the voice - ensuring all class members have their say and participate rather than the same student answering over and over again.

Hope this helps,

James - Student Rep

.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending