The Student Room Group

Going for a drive VS Social Distancing

Curious where folk are on this, do the social distancing measures regarding contact and travel affect you going out for a drive alone?

Thinking on risks...you're obviously still kinda isolated in your own property, I get that non essential travel is out, but travel also implies a destination (ie things/people you could infect or be infected by) would the same hold true to having a drive around for the sake of some sun?

Realistically you could obv answer any query with I'm off to the shop' but curious how people actually feel about the idea.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by StriderHort
Curious where folk are on this, do the social distancing measures regarding contact and travel affect you going out for a drive alone?

Thinking on risks...you're obviously still kinda isolated in your own property, I get that non essential travel is out, but travel also implies a destination (ie things/people you could infect or be infected by) would the same hold true to having a drive around for the sake of some sun?

Realistically you could obv answer any query with I'm off to the shop' but curious how people actually feel about the idea.

I personally think it's fine; you're not risking transmission.

If we were all to stay stuck inside we would lose our minds.

If you are just leaving your house, getting in your car, driving around, going back to your driveway, getting out of your car and going back into your house without coming into contact with anyone else than I don't see a problem with it.
You also need to drive your car regularly, to keep the battery charged, and to make sure the brakes etc don't rust/seize
(edited 4 years ago)
Just dont do what a lot of idiots are doing at the moment... all going to the same place, seaside, Welsh tourist places..
.. the whole areas are that crowded Social Distancing is impossible.
Those beaches and tourist places will be the next thing they will have to shut completely... some people just dont seem to be able to think through this with common sense.
Yeah i'm talking about literally just going for a drive alone for the sake of it.

It's been a really nice day after months of rain and the roads sure are quiet....for some reason :tongue:
I have pneumothorax which is a respiratory issue, so I'm mostly self isolated but once every few days I go for a drive cos if I don't I'll go nuts. But I wear gloves when filling up and only use pay at pump petrol stations. I'm losing out on BP reward points but it's a small price to pay. It's the best source of fresh air you'll get atm, crack on, if you wanna play it safe just fill up as I do.

If you mean like in a legal sense, we're pretty lax on restrictions compared to the rest of Europe but some people naturally, are ruining it for everyone, but I don't think they'll start pulling cars over and having a go at you for being out and even then im sure they'd be fine if you're just out for a drive.

Original post by IWMTom
I personally think it's fine; you're not risking transmission.

If we were all to stay stuck inside we would lose our minds.

If it’s just you or family members you live with in the car and you do not get out among other people there should be no problem. Ideally it’s ok to go for a circular drive where you leave home and return home without getting out of your car at any point in the journey unless for fuel.
Original post by Ambitious1999
If it’s just you or family members you live with in the car and you do not get out among other people there should be no problem. Ideally it’s ok to go for a circular drive where you leave home and return home without getting out of your car at any point in the journey unless for fuel.

I think they want you to stay at home unless you are involved in key work or need to go out for food. Obviously you can bypass if needs be.
Do you think tonight's announcement changes anything?

Not to me tbh, this is the restrictions I was already thinking of and assuming I could theoretically be pulled by police and asked what my business was. But I suppose tonight makes that all a bit more likely to take place.

I'll be curious over the next few days how much effect/enforcement there is.
Original post by 999tigger
I think they want you to stay at home unless you are involved in key work or need to go out for food. Obviously you can bypass if needs be.

Ideally, but realistically people will go out for various reasons, we can just hope to fk they have the sense not to mix with others/potentially contaminate stuff.

Driving to food shops is allowed, 1 Period of outside exercise is allowed with 2m restrictions....so logically going for a solo drive should be fine you'd think? It can't teleport through car surely.
Ideally, but realistically people will go out for various reasons, we can just hope to fk they have the sense not to mix with others/potentially contaminate stuff.

Driving to food shops is allowed, 1 Period of outside exercise is allowed with 2m restrictions....so logically going for a solo drive should be fine you'd think? It can't teleport through car surely.

Yes ofc going for a drive if you are going to get food is ok.
My point would be this if everyone goes for a drive because they get bored then the roads will be full and that will mean more resources wasted. Its obviously not what they want.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes ofc going for a drive if you are going to get food is ok.
My point would be this if everyone goes for a drive because they get bored then the roads will be full and that will mean more resources wasted. Its obviously not what they want.

I assume this won't be a huge problem, roads around my city have been near dead all week even before tonight's announcement. Given the % that drive, and the smaller % that enjoy it, I suspect essential traffic will get around ok.

I'm not not hoping for a Mad Max lawless apocalypse, no matter what the things I ask, say or do may or may or may not imply.
The police have been pulling cars to check travel is essential. Recreactional driving or cycling, even if its to go do exercise somewhere else, is effectively outlowes even though the government said it would be allowed. The police have been using drones to harrass people in the peak district walking dogs, and illegally accessing the CCS number plate data base to send fines to people, indcluding key workers. The police have admitted their tactics are unlawful but "will not apologies" Welcome to the British Authoritarian panopticon, where some fat middle aged cops with huge egos think they are god.
Original post by AH-64 APACHE
The police have been pulling cars to check travel is essential. Recreactional driving or cycling, even if its to go do exercise somewhere else, is effectively outlowes even though the government said it would be allowed. The police have been using drones to harrass people in the peak district walking dogs, and illegally accessing the CCS number plate data base to send fines to people, indcluding key workers. The police have admitted their tactics are unlawful but "will not apologies" Welcome to the British Authoritarian panopticon, where some fat middle aged cops with huge egos think they are god.

This started around my way yesterday, my mate got stopped at a checkpoint, apparently they were pulling aside ever 3rd-4th person and asking reasons for travel. 2 of them looked like they wanted to pull my car over, prob for having the roof down and looking too cheerful, but I was approaching a junction and wouldn't have been safe to distract me. (I was delivering essential supplies to the vulnerable if anyone want's to know what my excuse for being out was :tongue: )

I live on a private road and park on a driveway, and have cancelled my insurance and SORNed the car as I won't be using it during the lockdown.

Is it allowable to drive my car around the private roads without going into the public road occasionally, to stop my brakes ceasing up? If I do this every few weeks and leave it running (how long for?) to stop the battery going flat, is that sufficient to keep my car running well?
Reply 16
Original post by maths42
I live on a private road and park on a driveway, and have cancelled my insurance and SORNed the car as I won't be using it during the lockdown.

Is it allowable to drive my car around the private roads without going into the public road occasionally, to stop my brakes ceasing up? If I do this every few weeks and leave it running (how long for?) to stop the battery going flat, is that sufficient to keep my car running well?

Define private road
Original post by IWMTom
Define private road

It's a private estate with signs at the end saying "no private right of way for motor vehicles" so whilst the public can drive onto it and nothing would happen, it's not allowed and the road isn't maintained by the council.

But if a police officer happened to be in the road while I was driving and they checked if I was insured, could it be a problem?
Reply 18
Original post by maths42
It's a private estate with signs at the end saying "no private right of way for motor vehicles" so whilst the public can drive onto it and nothing would happen, it's not allowed and the road isn't maintained by the council.

But if a police officer happened to be in the road while I was driving and they checked if I was insured, could it be a problem?

Not sure whether that's covered by the RTA or not.
Original post by maths42

I think your best answer is 'Maybe'. If a police officer/car was on it at all, it would imply it wasn't too private.

They might make something of it if it pings on their plate scanners or they want to know what you're doing out.

They might accept 'It's SORNED i'm just turning it over' given how many folk in the same boat.

They might have something better do.

*shrug* Hard to say for sure about any this, it changes every day or so.

I took my car for MOT 2 days back, apparently garages count as essential, and no ones said jack about MOT rules being relaxed I've seen.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending