The Student Room Group

Ratios

This topic is p*ssing me off! How can I learn ratios? Any useful YouTube videos?
For example, this question:

I have 3 types of shapes: triangle, square, or circle in the ratio 3: 6: 1. The triangles are either red or blue. The ratio of red triangles to blue triangles is 4:5. Given that I have 12 red triangles, how many circles are there?

It's so bloody confusing!!
I've tried visualising it on paper and it doesn't help!!
Original post by Steve445
For example, this question:

I have 3 types of shapes: triangle, square, or circle in the ratio 3: 6: 1. The triangles are either red or blue. The ratio of red triangles to blue triangles is 4:5. Given that I have 12 red triangles, how many circles are there?

It's so bloody confusing!!

You have 12 red triangles, so considering that the ratio (red triangle : blue triangle) is 4 : 5, how do you think you can get to 12 on the left side from 4?

Do the same to 5. This will in turn yield the number of blue triangles. So what is the total number of triangles??

Then the ratio (triangle : square : circle) which is 3 : 6 : 1 means the ratio of triangles to squares is 3 : 1.

I.e. for every ONE circle, we have THREE triangles... so since you have the number of triangles, just think about how you can deduce the number of circles here.
Why isn't anyone responding?
Are there any guides and practise papers on ratios for the edexcel 9-1?
@RDKGames
I need a guide for hard ratios for the higher paper.
9 circles
I usually start ratios with:
I have 4 sweets and agree to share (some!) with username4426374 in the ratio (me) 3 : 1 (you).
How many do we each get? I get 3 and you get 1. So I then acquire more sweets and agree to share those in the same ratio. If I now have 20, how many do you get? We share each four out as 1 to me, 3 to you..... i.e. four at a time. How many 4s in 20? 5? So we do this 5 times and you get 1x5 and I get 3x5 (check: do our two shares add up to 20?). This is the basis of ratios. Any help?
Original post by KAF128___
I usually start ratios with:
I have 4 sweets and agree to share (some!) with username4426374 in the ratio (me) 3 : 1 (you).
How many do we each get? I get 3 and you get 1. So I then acquire more sweets and agree to share those in the same ratio. If I now have 20, how many do you get? We share each four out as 1 to me, 3 to you..... i.e. four at a time. How many 4s in 20? 5? So we do this 5 times and you get 1x5 and I get 3x5 (check: do our two shares add up to 20?). This is the basis of ratios. Any help?

In your question, you have 12 red triangles. Red:Blue is 4:5 which is the same as 12:15.
So let's go with those as 12+15=27 triangles.
Put the 27 into the 3:6:1 ratio and.....
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest