The Student Room Group

what course should I study at university

hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I am not sure what I should study at university.
my level subjects include:
Biology
Business studies
Computer science
and Psychology
based on my subjects, what would you reccomend I study.
I'd say start out by trying to think of what type of career you want afterwards and then which degree is going to help you towards that career
Original post by adeennnnn
hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I am not sure what I should study at university.
Biology
Business studies
Computer science
and Psychology

If you need to ask this question, ask yourself why you want to go to university and whether you actually need to.
Biology
Business studies
Computer science
and Psychology

Which one is your favourite subject?
Biology
Business studies
Computer science
and Psychology

i graduated with a degree in biology.

i recommend you look into Management, Accounting and Law. All boring subjects with good prospects. Also look into Liberal Arts which is offered by some unis.
Reply 5
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i graduated with a degree in biology.

i recommend you look into Management, Accounting and Law. All boring subjects with good prospects. Also look into Liberal Arts which is offered by some unis.

thank you for your recommendations! I really appreciate your help. I was looking at business management but the field is very competitive. I do also enjoy biology but I like the genetic side of it. unfortunately most courses for genetics require chemistry and I have no taken in. my subjects are pretty random and broad, therefore it makes it difficult to choose a degree/course. thank you again.
Reply 6
Original post by 5hyl33n
Which one is your favourite subject?

I like biology but all the courses I am interested require chemistry.
Reply 7
Original post by Littlevan36
I'd say start out by trying to think of what type of career you want afterwards and then which degree is going to help you towards that career

I know I want a career in which i can progress and be promoted. i do not want to be stuck in the same position for life.
although its quite specific you might like marketing which you could go into with a marketing/management degree
Find your passion then research which degree will help you in pursuing that passion.
thank you for your recommendations! I really appreciate your help. I was looking at business management but the field is very competitive. I do also enjoy biology but I like the genetic side of it. unfortunately most courses for genetics require chemistry and I have no taken in. my subjects are pretty random and broad, therefore it makes it difficult to choose a degree/course. thank you again.

you 100% don't need chemistry to do a degree in genetics but i would advise against biology and psychology on the grounds of job prospects
I know I want a career in which i can progress and be promoted. i do not want to be stuck in the same position for life.

What are you interested in? Have you done any work experience in professions that you liked?
You don't have to do a degree though don't forget! There are plenty of careers our there that you can get into without a degree.. have you thought of taking an apprenticeship for instance
Reply 12
Original post by hello9612
although its quite specific you might like marketing which you could go into with a marketing/management degree

marketing does sound interesting, I will look more into it! thank you
Reply 13
Original post by Littlevan36
What are you interested in? Have you done any work experience in professions that you liked?
You don't have to do a degree though don't forget! There are plenty of careers our there that you can get into without a degree.. have you thought of taking an apprenticeship for instance

in school I signed up to do work experiences in the business field, unfortunately due to the cornonavuris issue we were unable to do it. Maybe after I do some work experiences it may help me decide whether I want to go into the business field or not. Also, I go to an international school in Riyadh, it is very difficult to find and know of any apprenticeships, and I've never really looked into the idea. However I think university would be better fo me and I would like the experience as well. thank you very much for your help!
in school I signed up to do work experiences in the business field, unfortunately due to the cornonavuris issue we were unable to do it. Maybe after I do some work experiences it may help me decide whether I want to go into the business field or not. Also, I go to an international school in Riyadh, it is very difficult to find and know of any apprenticeships, and I've never really looked into the idea. However I think university would be better fo me and I would like the experience as well. thank you very much for your help!

Many universities dont require Chemistry for Biology. Most require a second science and what that includes differs according to universities. Bristol, Cardiff, Lancaster, Leeds, Nottingham and York all accept Psychology as a 2nd science and some others like Bath and Exeter dont actually state what they classed as a 2nd sience so you need to contact them to find out. Some of the more medical type courses like Pharmacy require Chemistry due to the drug involvement. Have you though of Nursing or something like Cardiac or Respiratory Physiology. They might be interesting,

This list is Bristol's science list

Science-related subjects include Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Electronics, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Psychology and Statistics

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/human-and-health-sciences/#healthcare-science-contents
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/human-and-health-sciences/#nursing-and-midwifery-contents
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/human-and-health-sciences/#society-and-wellbeing-contents

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending