The Student Room Group

university courses

anyone know any universities that will accept a student for biological sciences without having done chemistry for A levels?
Original post by adeennnnn
anyone know any universities that will accept a student for biological sciences without having done chemistry for A levels?

Imperial. And probably lots of others.
I think most only ask for Biology.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Imperial. And probably lots of others.

thank you for your help 😀
however, I checked on imperial's website and under the entry requirement section it says the chemistry, physics of mathematics is required. unfortunately I only take biology as a science and am not sure if psychology is considered a science. but thanks for the help again
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I think most only ask for Biology.

thank you :smile:
thank you for your help 😀
however, I checked on imperial's website and under the entry requirement section it says the chemistry, physics of mathematics is required. unfortunately I only take biology as a science and am not sure if psychology is considered a science. but thanks for the help again

Not according to Imperial; others might take a different view. You'll have to do some digging! 😀
Nearly all universities will accept you without Chemistry but a 2nd science is required and that will differ dependant on the university. Most will accept Psychology as a 2nd science but you will need to check the individual university's requirements. Most are not as strict as Imperial. These are Bristol's science subjects
Science-related subjects include Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Electronics, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Psychology and Statistics
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
Not according to Imperial; others might take a different view. You'll have to do some digging! 😀

oh, that is very helpful! thank you. I will do the research
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
Nearly all universities will accept you without Chemistry but a 2nd science is required and that will differ dependant on the university. Most will accept Psychology as a 2nd science but you will need to check the individual university's requirements. Most are not as strict as Imperial. These are Bristol's science subjects
Science-related subjects include Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Electronics, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Psychology and Statistics

this is very helpful, thank you very much. my a level subjects are biology, computer science, psychology and business studies. so if I were to apply to Bristol, computer science would be considered as well. I appreciate your help 😀
oh, that is very helpful! thank you. I will do the research

This is Lancaster's list of Science subjects
A level grade AB in two sciences from the following; Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, Human Biology, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology.
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
This is Lancaster's list of Science subjects
A level grade AB in two sciences from the following; Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, Human Biology, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology.

this is very helpful, I can finally narrow down my course choices as I now know that chemistry is not required to study the course I want in many universities.
this is very helpful, I can finally narrow down my course choices as I now know that chemistry is not required to study the course I want in many universities.

You will need to check as places like Bath and Exeter dont define what they need by science subjects. There are others who will accept Psychology and Computer Science but you will need to do your research by emailing to check what the university considers a 2nd science course

Hi, adeennnnn,

I hope you are well,

You may want to create a shortlist of universities which interests you. You could use a tool like UCAS Search to help collate which universities offer BSc(Hons) Biological Science. Then make sure to confirm the entry requirements on the university’s webpage.

https://digital.ucas.com/search

To help you get started, the University of Huddersfield offers BSc(Hons) Biological Science. The course requires ‘BBC’ at A Level, with a B in one relevant science subject (including Biology). Once you have got an idea which universities you are interested in, many are hosting virtual open days and can be contacted via email.

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/biological-sciences-bsc-hons#_ga=2.129951692.176023634.1585839067-460198850.1580311090

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | Bsc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi, adeennnnn,

I hope you are well,

You may want to create a shortlist of universities which interests you. You could use a tool like UCAS Search to help collate which universities offer BSc(Hons) Biological Science. Then make sure to confirm the entry requirements on the university’s webpage.

To help you get started, the University of Huddersfield offers BSc(Hons) Biological Science. The course requires ‘BBC’ at A Level, with a B in one relevant science subject (including Biology). Once you have got an idea which universities you are interested in, many are hosting virtual open days and can be contacted via email.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | Bsc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield

Hello, hope you are well! thank you for your reply, it is very helpful. I have made a list of universities I am interested in but unfortunately most of them require chemistry for their biological science courses. I will look more into the university of huddersfield as I have no heard of it considering I am an international student. Thank you once again and stay safe 😊
Go to ucas course search and check biology and go through the entry requirements for each. There are loads who will accept you without Chemistry. After a very quick search all these do. Aberystwyth, Bangor, Cardiff, Swansea, Reading, Royal Holloway, Southampton, Sheffield and Lancaster all accept you with Biology and where a second science is needed include Psychology. These are just a few I checked and every one did.
Hi @adeennnnn,

BSc Biology here at Aberystwyth doesn’t require A level chemistry. The A level requirements are BBB-BCC with B in Biology.

The first year of most of the biological sciences courses here in Aberystwyth cover basic biochemistry to bring you up to speed on the aspects of chemistry that are required for a biological sciences degree.

I am a current 2nd year student at Aberystwyth, and I am really enjoying it here! I study Veterinary Biosciences, please let me know if you have any questions about Aberystwyth or about the department.

We have an interactive online open day coming up on Tuesday 5th May where you can have the opportunity to talk online to course lecturers, current students, admission staff, student support and admissions staff as well as take a panoramic tour of our campus and accommodation. You can register here if interested?

We also have weekly live chats ever Wednesday 4-6pm where you can speak to staff and current students, if you have any questions 😊. I am also more then willing to help with any questions you have about life at Aberystwyth University.

Rebecca 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending