The Student Room Group

Private candidates

Heya, I’m just wondering on if you could give me some advice. I was a private candidate in the June 2020 exams, but since all exams have been cancelled I will not get a grade.

I really desperately need the grades to be able to do my alevels and I was wondering on if any one knew if private candidates get the same choices and chances as students in schools.
Reply 1
Hey, well at the moment it’s a bit of a madness really im in the same situation I’m resitting all my gcses this years because I had a rough 2 years in yr 10 & 11 and I was hoping to go to alevels this year (but dk how that’s ginna go)
This is going to be long
My 1st call to DfE they said they didn’t know but since I had tutors my tutors could maybe predict a grade, when phones ocr 1st time they say they didn’t know. Then 2 days later I read on a forum that they might ask to compile evidence, so I phoned ocr a second time they said it was worth compiling evidence and getting ready to send it off. Then I emailed my exam centre and they said neither of these options applied to private candidates (even tho every time i called a made it clear to them I was a private candidate) but they said they’d let me know the situation. Then yesterday I phoned DfE they said to contact the college I wanted to go and see if they have entry assessments, then contact old teachers and tutors to predict grades and then contact Ofqual.
I called ocr they said they had no information. I tried phoning edexcel but couldn’t get through. I called WJEC Eduqas they said there was no information but they’d update their site when there was. Then I called Ofqual they said they can’t give information to the public as of yet but they’ll be giving a statement next week and I asked the dreaded question will we get a grade this year along with other students? And they said they couldn’t be certain of that yet. even tho ucas and AQA said we would. But then aqa a couple days later said the weren’t sure.

Tbf they probably just need time but it’s so hard on us private candidates that have worked so hard this year to try and achieve top grades not knowing 🤷🏽*♀️
Original post by DoBOL
Hey, well at the moment it’s a bit of a madness really im in the same situation I’m resitting all my gcses this years because I had a rough 2 years in yr 10 & 11 and I was hoping to go to alevels this year (but dk how that’s ginna go)
This is going to be long
My 1st call to DfE they said they didn’t know but since I had tutors my tutors could maybe predict a grade, when phones ocr 1st time they say they didn’t know. Then 2 days later I read on a forum that they might ask to compile evidence, so I phoned ocr a second time they said it was worth compiling evidence and getting ready to send it off. Then I emailed my exam centre and they said neither of these options applied to private candidates (even tho every time i called a made it clear to them I was a private candidate) but they said they’d let me know the situation. Then yesterday I phoned DfE they said to contact the college I wanted to go and see if they have entry assessments, then contact old teachers and tutors to predict grades and then contact Ofqual.
I called ocr they said they had no information. I tried phoning edexcel but couldn’t get through. I called WJEC Eduqas they said there was no information but they’d update their site when there was. Then I called Ofqual they said they can’t give information to the public as of yet but they’ll be giving a statement next week and I asked the dreaded question will we get a grade this year along with other students? And they said they couldn’t be certain of that yet. even tho ucas and AQA said we would. But then aqa a couple days later said the weren’t sure.

Tbf they probably just need time but it’s so hard on us private candidates that have worked so hard this year to try and achieve top grades not knowing 🤷🏽*♀️

I’m in the same boat as you, I wanted to do a-levels this year but I missed it by one grade and I didn’t want to do a Level 3 so I was resisting my GCSE’s to get the grades.

I know that the government said that private candidates should get a grade but I self taught myself so I wouldn’t have any professionals to get an opinion of off.

I think it’s really unfair Becuase I just could of wasted a year of my life if you get me
Reply 3
Original post by daytime.dreams
I’m in the same boat as you, I wanted to do a-levels this year but I missed it by one grade and I didn’t want to do a Level 3 so I was resisting my GCSE’s to get the grades.

I know that the government said that private candidates should get a grade but I self taught myself so I wouldn’t have any professionals to get an opinion of off.

I think it’s really unfair Becuase I just could of wasted a year of my life if you get me

Ye I’m literally exactly the same I was 1 gcse off doing an a level too. But I do think for us retake students it is a lot easier to find out grades, in my case any way, I did gcses in school I have prior predictions and my attained grades aswell as ‘mocks’ I’ve done my self over the year but I don’t know if that would be viable tbf but I’ve actually considered contacting my old school(even tho they really did **** me over last year ) but only as a last resort. But hopefully they do come with a plan for us because I would be really unfair
Original post by DoBOL
Ye I’m literally exactly the same I was 1 gcse off doing an a level too. But I do think for us retake students it is a lot easier to find out grades, in my case any way, I did gcses in school I have prior predictions and my attained grades aswell as ‘mocks’ I’ve done my self over the year but I don’t know if that would be viable tbf but I’ve actually considered contacting my old school(even tho they really did **** me over last year ) but only as a last resort. But hopefully they do come with a plan for us because I would be really unfair

I ****ing relate, my old school won’t help me. I spoke to the department of education and said that we might be able to do them in the next academic year. But I’m trying to find the number for person edexcel to ask them what I can do Becuase I was revising my ass off just for me not to get a grade. It’s a waste of time, and I should of just done a l3 not waste a year
Reply 5
Original post by daytime.dreams
I ****ing relate, my old school won’t help me. I spoke to the department of education and said that we might be able to do them in the next academic year. But I’m trying to find the number for person edexcel to ask them what I can do Becuase I was revising my ass off just for me not to get a grade. It’s a waste of time, and I should of just done a l3 not waste a year

I found if but it wouldn’t call through I’ll send it tho and I wouldn’t want to do it next academic year. I don’t mind doing them to get a higher grade after the grades given in July (like internal students) but if you do them in the autumn exam session you loose your place in the courses you want to do and I am NOT going through another gap year
Edexcels number 0845 6180440
Original post by DoBOL
I found if but it wouldn’t call through I’ll send it tho and I wouldn’t want to do it next academic year. I don’t mind doing them to get a higher grade after the grades given in July (like internal students) but if you do them in the autumn exam session you loose your place in the courses you want to do and I am NOT going through another gap year
Edexcels number 0845 6180440

Doing the autumn exams doesn't mean you will definitely lose your place.

" If I take the exam option, will I still be able to go to university this year?
Students who do not feel their calculated grade reflects their performance, will have the opportunity to sit an exam, as soon as is reasonably possible after the beginning of the academic year.
While it cannot be guaranteed in every circumstance, Universities UK has assured us that the majority of universities will show the utmost flexibility to ensure that such students who take this option are able to begin their course with a delayed start time.
If a student is in this circumstance, they should speak to the university from which they have an offer after receiving their calculated grade."

Source - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020
Reply 7
Original post by Treetop321
Doing the autumn exams doesn't mean you will definitely lose your place.

" If I take the exam option, will I still be able to go to university this year?
Students who do not feel their calculated grade reflects their performance, will have the opportunity to sit an exam, as soon as is reasonably possible after the beginning of the academic year.
While it cannot be guaranteed in every circumstance, Universities UK has assured us that the majority of universities will show the utmost flexibility to ensure that such students who take this option are able to begin their course with a delayed start time.
If a student is in this circumstance, they should speak to the university from which they have an offer after receiving their calculated grade."

Source - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020

Thanks for the help but I’m looking at colleges for a level and even if you try and enrol for a course a day after enrolment some colleges don’t let you even if you have the grades let alone a month later
Original post by DoBOL
Thanks for the help but I’m looking at colleges for a level and even if you try and enrol for a course a day after enrolment some colleges don’t let you even if you have the grades let alone a month later

The circumstances this time are clearly a lot different from normal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending