The Student Room Group

Unis removing firm offers

Just saw an article in the guardian that they are discussing this.
That's really not fair on students.
Original post by Anonymous

Yep. I really hope this doesn’t happen as it’s absolutely not fair to remove offers that have already been given out - perhaps reducing the number of offers being given out from now on, and the number of places available in Clearing / Adjustment, would be slightly fairer.

Link the article, then.
Reply 3
Original post by Mona123456
Yep. I really hope this doesn’t happen as it’s absolutely not fair to remove offers that have already been given out - perhaps reducing the number of offers being given out from now on, and the number of places available in Clearing / Adjustment, would be slightly fairer.

Exactly like I don't get the issue clearly the number of offers would be the same as it is not based only on predicted grades. & the exam boards are giving out the same proportion of grades out as last year.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Link the article, then.

It's not letting me saying something about moderation
They are not allowed to do that. They only thing they cannot do is to offer more unconditional places to make people panic and take them up.
It's not letting me saying something about moderation

You can still type the link.
Link the article, then.

This article was discussed in another thread about a level grades.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/government-set-to-cap-university-admissions-amid-covid-19-chaos
Don’t belive everything you read in the newspaper
Wait till the government say something
Links:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/government-set-to-cap-university-admissions-amid-covid-19-chaos?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/education/2020/mar/30/cconcern-a-level-students-over-cap-university-admissions

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/education-52086932

I really hope this isn’t going to be enacted, but I guess we shall have to wait and see. I think the main worry (or at least the articles suggest anyway) is that if too many people deferred entry, Unis would not have enough students to start this September (especially given that the likely number of international students taking up offers may fall) and do this could mean Unis don’t have large enough intakes for this coming year to be financially viable.

However, I do agree that this would be very unfair to revoke offers already given out; and it would limit students’ choices. I hope not too many people defer as well - Unis may not allow this if it would comprise places for the current Year 12s.
Basically its putting a cap on unis taking advantage of students panicking in the crisis and offering an unconditional offer or very reduced offer so they take up on it. Because of the no exam situation, i would imagine a lot of students are worrying right now they are going to get less than what they thought, so might make the mistake of choosing a uni they dont want because its the 'easy' option. All unis want to put bums on seats, but having this cap will stop them doing that. I can see why after last years debarcle with bristol uni and kings uni not having enough accommodation, and other unis having lecture halls so full, they sit on the steps or in another auditorium to watch on big screen.
Original post by Ghostlady
Basically its putting a cap on unis taking advantage of students panicking in the crisis and offering an unconditional offer or very reduced offer so they take up on it. Because of the no exam situation, i would imagine a lot of students are worrying right now they are going to get less than what they thought, so might make the mistake of choosing a uni they dont want because its the 'easy' option. All unis want to put bums on seats, but having this cap will stop them doing that. I can see why after last years debarcle with bristol uni and kings uni not having enough accommodation, and other unis having lecture halls so full, they sit on the steps or in another auditorium to watch on big screen.

I firmed my uni way back in January. Can the uni remove my offer?

Assuming it is the article linked above, then your thread title requires clarification.

An offer may be withdrawn at any time before it is accepted normally.
In the case of UCAS offers remain open till set dates depending on when made.

You will have to see what the new rules might say, but government legislation may force some unis to reassess their offers.
You will just have to wait and see.
Unis are also in a quandry because no one fully knows how the cv19 scenario is going to play out including how and if unis will open on time plus what might be done about international students. It seems to me theres no harm in letting them in as long as they undergo compulsory quarantine or have had a certified negative test..
Original post by Flyehigh
I firmed my uni way back in January. Can the uni remove my offer?

if you firmed, you have effectively 'signed a contract' so they shouldnt be able to retract it. it more to do with the offers thats being dealt out at this stage to people who have not firmed. They are either changing them to lower offers or unconditionals to entice the student to pick them
Assuming it is the article linked above, then your thread title requires clarification.

An offer may be withdrawn at any time before it is accepted normally.
In the case of UCAS offers remain open till set dates depending on when made.

You will have to see what the new rules might say, but government legislation may force some unis to reassess their offers.
You will just have to wait and see.
Unis are also in a quandry because no one fully knows how the cv19 scenario is going to play out including how and if unis will open on time plus what might be done about international students. It seems to me theres no harm in letting them in as long as they undergo compulsory quarantine or have had a certified negative test..

i think it might come to that, to have a quarantine, or proof they have already had it in an antibody test.
Original post by Ghostlady
i think it might come to that, to have a quarantine, or proof they have already had it in an antibody test.

By September that is unlikely to be an issue.
By September that is unlikely to be an issue.

Hope so. i imagine it comes down too the country and their current situation and numbers of live covid 19 cases
I wonder how this will be received with regards to Medical, Nursing and Allied Health courses. An existing staff shortage... in the wake of a global pandemic... then potentially revoking some of their offers and capping their recruitment numbers. What a way to thank our NHS & secure the future of the workforce eh? :s-smilie:
I can understand that a reduced number of international students (plus maybe some deferred uk entries) would leave some universities short on intake, and subsequently lowering entry requirements to gain numbers, but I can't see how (or why) a cap would be set at a level to obstruct applicants who already have an offer - wouldn't that just exacerbated the problem?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending