The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Thoughts on Capital Punishment

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be Implemented in the UK

I am personally against the death sentence- believe that the punishment for a crime wins over vengeance. Regardless of the magnitude of the crime, it shouldn't be implemented. Agree or Disagree?

Scroll to see replies

I'm against the DP
Reply 2
Against it in principle simply because i don't think the government can be trusted with that sort of power. On the flip side i'm hardly going to cry if a serial killer is put against the wall.
Reply 3
Just looking at the statistics before and after capital punishment was abolished in this country (effectively 1964 but officially 1969), we can see that the homicide did shoot up around 1966, and had doubled ever since then. The biggest argument against these statistics is that "correlation is not causation"; you can attribute the rise of the homicides to population growth, or other factors, but it does seem, to me, to be evident that there was some amount of causation when the abolishment took place. It's only logical that more people will commit more atrocious acts when they know they won't face appropriate justice.

Being against the death penalty on the grounds of innocent people being killed is as cavelier as saying you wouldn't have taken part in the second world war because a few innocents would die. It's a necessary action to protect the people in this country.

stat.png
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Obolinda
I'm against the DP

Why?
Original post by Joel 96
Just looking at the statistics before and after capital punishment was abolished in this country (effectively 1964 but officially 1969), we can see that the homicide did shoot up around 1966, and had doubled ever since then. The biggest argument against these statistics is that "correlation is not causation"; you can attribute the rise of the homicides to population growth, or other factors, but it does seem, to me, to be evident that there was some amount of causation when the abolishment took place. It's only logical that more people will commit more atrocious acts when they know they won't face appropriate justice.

Being against the death penalty on the grounds of innocent people being killed is as cavelier as saying you wouldn't have taken part in the second world war because a few innocents would die. It's a necessary action to protect the people in this country.

stat.png

I mean the population has more than doubled since 1960. In 1960 the population was around 3 billion and now its more than 7 billion so that is probably why the homicide rate has increased.
I'm against capital punishment, for any and all crimes.
No matter how evil the convicted offender or how horrifying their crimes.
Reply 7
Original post by Joel 96

stat.png

It would be slightly more honest if you posted the full chart...
https://fullfact.org/news/has-murder-rate-doubled-hanging-was-abolished/murder_rate_crime_death_penalty_facts.jpg
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Capital punishment for whom?
It could lead to ethnic cleansing. Certain ethnic groups and class in society would be disproportionately affected.
Reply 10
Original post by LegalTom
It could lead to ethnic cleansing. Certain ethnic groups and class in society would be disproportionately affected.

In what universe does that make sense?
If only the victim could answer this question!
our elaborate Criminal Justice System costs £billions to operate. after the economy has been wrecked by Wuhan Disease we may decide to save money by executing dirtbags instead of teaching them sociology and giving them Playstations™
The death penalty will not be effective because I don’t think many serial killers and terrorists fear death. they are probably too mentally unstable. Therefore any advantages of the death penalty is cancelled out by the possibility of innocents being wrongly executed
Reply 14
Original post by daisydoo1900
If only the victim could answer this question!

Good point, some of the people on the virtuous side of the question might think again if it touched them or one of their loved ones.
Reply 15
Original post by perplexed turtle
I am personally against the death sentence- believe that the punishment for a crime wins over vengeance. Regardless of the magnitude of the crime, it shouldn't be implemented. Agree or Disagree?

Hitler?
Reply 16
Original post by z-hog
Hitler?

Seems like an easy way out for someone of that magnitude
Original post by Napp
In what universe does that make sense?

Capital punishment if abused could be used on black men unjustly, black men which by the way are over represented in prisons compared to their population in society.
Reply 18
Original post by LegalTom
Capital punishment if abused could be used on black men unjustly, black men which by the way are over represented in prisons compared to their population in society.

Which, in turn, is all the fault of white men. Correct?
Original post by Napp
It would be slightly more honest if you posted the full chart...
https://fullfact.org/news/has-murder-rate-doubled-hanging-was-abolished/murder_rate_crime_death_penalty_facts.jpg

That is exactly what I was trying to say when I brought up the population increase. I knew this was cherry picking evidence as soon as I saw it lmao

Latest

Trending

Trending