The Student Room Group

Funding

HI guys! I got an offer to study a PhD in Sociology from Oxford. I was wondering if any of you have heard about PhD funding outcomes?

Scroll to see replies

No, also waiting on the funding email from the social sciences division :/
Reply 2
Oh. What course will you be studying?

Original post by MexicanWildChild
No, also waiting on the funding email from the social sciences division
Original post by ann1600
Oh. What course will you be studying?

The DPhil in Migration Studies, but only if I can secure funding... so these clarendon decisions are driving me insane!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
The DPhil in Migration Studies, but only if I can secure funding... so these clarendon decisions are driving me insane!

I feel you! Congrats on getting the place though!
Hi, I got an offer for DPhil International Development - No mention of funding in the offer letter. If anyone else sees this thread and gets any news on funding, please do update
Reply 6
DPhil in ODID. No word on funding yet.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ann1600
I feel you! Congrats on getting the place though!

Hi ann 1600, I have messaged you :smile: I also got an offer from DPhil in Sociology :smile: no funding yet...
Reply 8
Hi everyone,

I emailed the graduate admissions office and they told me funding decisions are made by a central body and outcomes are sent to students in the two month period beginning from April to June.

it's good to hear from all of you. Maybe we could introduce ourselves by mentioning the following stuff:

Here's my introduction:

Current University: The University of Exeter
Current Area of Study: Politics and International Relations
Interests: Painting, Reading, Martial Art
Got an offer for DPhil in Politics, explicitly asked about funding. Nuffield College has already sent out the offers, I listed them as a priority so got an email with rejection. I was also told that I was not nominated for Clarendon. I think if you were nominated you should hear about the outcome quite soon, you can also ask the department directly.

I don't qualify for anything else as an international student, so cannot update re dates for other potential sources of funding.
Reply 10
Original post by Pepenudalg
Got an offer for DPhil in Politics, explicitly asked about funding. Nuffield College has already sent out the offers, I listed them as a priority so got an email with rejection. I was also told that I was not nominated for Clarendon. I think if you were nominated you should hear about the outcome quite soon, you can also ask the department directly.

I don't qualify for anything else as an international student, so cannot update re dates for other potential sources of funding.

I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't heard about being nominated for Clarendon. I was told my he graduate admissions team that funding information is sent through the April-June bracket. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Honestly, the University should open up more funding opportunities for International students. Home fees are literally a fraction of what we have to pay. It's very unfair that we are put at a disadvantage because of our nationality. Clarendon used to be exclusively for international students however they have changed the rules to allow UK/EU students to apply for it too. Extremely unfair. UK/EU students have loads of other funding available to them!

Hi. I put Nuffield as my priority as well. However, I haven't heard from them yet. I assume it means rejection if all the offers were already sent out...What surprises me is that when I put them as my priority college 2 years ago they sent me a rejection letter 1 week after I got my university offer...So not sure how to feel about the situation as of today as it has been over 3 weeks since I got admitted to my study programme...
Original post by Maxaveli
Hi. I put Nuffield as my priority as well. However, I haven't heard from them yet. I assume it means rejection if all the offers were already sent out...What surprises me is that when I put them as my priority college 2 years ago they sent me a rejection letter 1 week after I got my university offer...So not sure how to feel about the situation as of today as it has been over 3 weeks since I got admitted to my study programme...

I don't know, in your case it could be no news = good news. Perhaps you are on some sort of waiting list and still have a chance, otherwise, you'd have received a rejection already. In any case, if you put them as your priority, you should receive an answer.
I don't know, in your case it could be no news = good news. Perhaps you are on some sort of waiting list and still have a chance, otherwise, you'd have received a rejection already. In any case, if you put them as your priority, you should receive an answer.

Hi, I also have this feeling as I was rejected very fast in 2018. And it is super competitive (10% chance) so I do not have any high hopes about it due to my previous rejection.
Reply 14
That's so strange. Usually offer letters say that college admittance is guaranteed with the offer. That said, I did not put any college preference so I'm not sure how things work.

I can just express frustration at this entire process. They should notify us about college allotment and funding etc. ASAP. We need to plan things out for the future.

Reply 15
A general question for those who have been granted a conditional place: What's your condition?

Also, who here is going to be attending their course regardless of funding?

I think I'll be studying the course irrespective of funding (though funding would be ideal).
Original post by ann1600
That's so strange. Usually offer letters say that college admittance is guaranteed with the offer. That said, I did not put any college preference so I'm not sure how things work.

I can just express frustration at this entire process. They should notify us about college allotment and funding etc. ASAP. We need to plan things out for the future.

Hi Ann. Yes, you are right. However, admission and funding are 2 separate processes for them. Also, they take a lot of time to consider people for funding. I am mostly frustrated about this unclear situation with nomination for funding. Why not to let people who are not nominated know straight away? It would save both time and nerves. A lot of people get stressed as they have to wait for weeks just to hear anything...
Hi Ann. Yes, you are right. However, admission and funding are 2 separate processes for them. Also, they take a lot of time to consider people for funding. I am mostly frustrated about this unclear situation with nomination for funding. Why not to let people who are not nominated know straight away? It would save both time and nerves. A lot of people get stressed as they have to wait for weeks just to hear anything...

Original post by ann1600

And did you get your college along with your offer? Also, it says that I will be considered for a college place (on my offer) and informed later on... So I assume these are 2 different processes for them.

"
Original post by ann1600

Hey! So I did my masters at oxford last year. What they mean when they say college admittance is guaranteed is that if you are accepted on your course you can be sure you will get an oxford college to take you. That does not guarantee that your first choice college will though. Putting a college as a first choice only means you can be sure that that college will LOOK at you application, but if they reject you, the university basically guarantees they will find a spot for you in another one.
Hey! So I did my masters at oxford last year. What they mean when they say college admittance is guaranteed is that if you are accepted on your course you can be sure you will get an oxford college to take you. That does not guarantee that your first choice college will though. Putting a college as a first choice only means you can be sure that that college will LOOK at you application, but if they reject you, the university basically guarantees they will find a spot for you in another one.

I see. And how long do they take to consider your application at the college level? when did you hear from your college last year? I have been waiting for 3 weeks ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending