The Student Room Group

Study help!

Hey everyone!
I am currently studying for my law degree which I do while working full time. (Organisation nightmare!!)
If anyone would like any study help with GCSEs/A Levels I would be happy to help, or even just tips for how to organise time and how to work at home.
I know lots of people must be struggling with the current situation, so I would love to try and answer any questions!
Sasha:smile:
What A-levels did you do? Any tips for a prospective law student?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
What A-levels did you do? Any tips for a prospective law student?

I did English literature, English language, history and did Biology and Maths at AS Level (which I don’t think exist anymore!)
In terms of tips- study hard, good grades are needed. Along side that- make sure you have things that make you unique, show your personality, and have plenty of reasons why you LOVE law.
Original post by SashaB
I did English literature, English language, history and did Biology and Maths at AS Level (which I don’t think exist anymore!)
In terms of tips- study hard, good grades are needed. Along side that- make sure you have things that make you unique, show your personality, and have plenty of reasons why you LOVE law.

What topics did you do for history? Any tips for AS maths? Wdym by show your personality? What were the reasons you loved law?
Reply 4
Original post by PetitePanda
What topics did you do for history? Any tips for AS maths? Wdym by show your personality? What were the reasons you loved law?

Honestly can barely remember my a level history topics! I did one on the Crusades, and one on medieval England, and one on international relations. There may have been another one at AS but I honestly don’t remember haha.
AS maths- I loved maths but hated this! Which is why I dropped it. To me (the course may have changed) there was no logic to it- and I’m the kind of person that doesn’t learn every single thing but learns the logic behind it so I can do I without having to learn it. So the way I got through, was making flash cards for absolutely everything and just memorised them. Colourful mind maps for each small topic stuck around your room help too! And past paper, after past paper, after past paper. As many as you can get your hands on.
In terms of personality and loving law it’s a really individual thing so I can’t tell you too much but the way I go about all applications etc is to get a blank piece of paper and write all the interesting things I’ve done in my life on it. No grades or exams- anything other than that. Then think about how they all link back to making you want to study law, and make talking points for all of them. It really helps at interview to have things to talk about that aren’t school or grades.
Sorry for the long paragraph but hope it helps!!
Oh my god please yes I have been struggling with English literature for the longest - I am doing A levels and am in y13 now just tryna get by. I’ve completed coursework now and read all my set texts but going over them is the toughest part of it all and also writing essays under timed conditions . My predicted is a E which I’m shocked at considering I’ve put in so much effort throughout year 1 and 2 and got a 8 for GcSe English lit. Any tips on how to work efficiently and revise properly for this subject? Thank you
Original post by SashaB
Honestly can barely remember my a level history topics! I did one on the Crusades, and one on medieval England, and one on international relations. There may have been another one at AS but I honestly don’t remember haha.
AS maths- I loved maths but hated this! Which is why I dropped it. To me (the course may have changed) there was no logic to it- and I’m the kind of person that doesn’t learn every single thing but learns the logic behind it so I can do I without having to learn it. So the way I got through, was making flash cards for absolutely everything and just memorised them. Colourful mind maps for each small topic stuck around your room help too! And past paper, after past paper, after past paper. As many as you can get your hands on.
In terms of personality and loving law it’s a really individual thing so I can’t tell you too much but the way I go about all applications etc is to get a blank piece of paper and write all the interesting things I’ve done in my life on it. No grades or exams- anything other than that. Then think about how they all link back to making you want to study law, and make talking points for all of them. It really helps at interview to have things to talk about that aren’t school or grades.
Sorry for the long paragraph but hope it helps!!

Thank you so much for this. I do have some things for law especially how I wanted to do law. I'll keep that in mind if I do an interview
Reply 7
Original post by Angela.801
Oh my god please yes I have been struggling with English literature for the longest - I am doing A levels and am in y13 now just tryna get by. I’ve completed coursework now and read all my set texts but going over them is the toughest part of it all and also writing essays under timed conditions . My predicted is a E which I’m shocked at considering I’ve put in so much effort throughout year 1 and 2 and got a 8 for GcSe English lit. Any tips on how to work efficiently and revise properly for this subject? Thank you

Honestly I struggled so much with english lit it is hard to get your head round!
The best way I found was learning key quotes for all the texts until you don’t even need to think about them, flash cards, mindmaps whatever works for you.
Make sure you’ve read all the texts plenty and keep reading them, because then you’ll easily be able to reference parts.
In terms of timed essays- practice makes perfect! I literally made my teacher create me so many essay questions so I could just practice and practice. Always time yourself, and never go a second over the time allowed.
And then ask your teacher to mark them.
Finally, don’t spend too long revising- nothing will stay in your head. I would pick an essay question, revise the key topics of it for half an hour then time yourself writing the essay then move onto another subject or doing something else.
Hope that helps!
Original post by SashaB
Hey everyone!
I am currently studying for my law degree which I do while working full time. (Organisation nightmare!!)
If anyone would like any study help with GCSEs/A Levels I would be happy to help, or even just tips for how to organise time and how to work at home.
I know lots of people must be struggling with the current situation, so I would love to try and answer any questions!
Sasha:smile:

Hello I am a GCSE English Literature student. I’m starting my course next year and I am doing a little bit of like before learning. I am on the Eduqas exam board. I wonder what do I need to learn for prose and drama. Do I have to analyze every scene or just learn quotes relating to themes characters etc.
Reply 9
Original post by biology_nerd
Hello I am a GCSE English Literature student. I’m starting my course next year and I am doing a little bit of like before learning. I am on the Eduqas exam board. I wonder what do I need to learn for prose and drama. Do I have to analyze every scene or just learn quotes relating to themes characters etc.

Hi! You won’t need to learn analysis for every scene, just key themes and characters. Once you’ve learnt them and read through the texts applying them you’ll be able to analyse any scene given to you in the exam :smile: try to find some past papers to have a look at types of question!
Original post by SashaB
Hi! You won’t need to learn analysis for every scene, just key themes and characters. Once you’ve learnt them and read through the texts applying them you’ll be able to analyse any scene given to you in the exam :smile: try to find some past papers to have a look at types of question!

Thanks that's very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest