The Student Room Group

Rankings?

Hey, so I’m not really sure where to go. Obviously, at this time, I’m unable to visit my unis (which is obviously okay as the health of the world is more important) but I’m not sure where is best to go. I have a conditional from a Russell Group uni but said uni is much lower down on the rankings than my other offers, which are unconditionals. However, more graduates from said Russell Group uni go on to work in higher earning fields. I know that no everything is about money but it does play a part in the decision making. What do you guys think is best?
Why are you being ambiguous? No one is going to be able to answer that...
Reply 2
Original post by TV Static Noise
Why are you being ambiguous? No one is going to be able to answer that...

Ok fair enough, I just didn’t know if too much detail was needed. But for context, I have an offer from Newcastle, Strath and Aberdeen. Strath and Aberdeen and considerably higher on the ranking table but Ncl is a Russell group etc.
Original post by Amypalkerr
Ok fair enough, I just didn’t know if too much detail was needed. But for context, I have an offer from Newcastle, Strath and Aberdeen. Strath and Aberdeen and considerably higher on the ranking table but Ncl is a Russell group etc.

I'd say Aberdeen and Newcastle are on par when it comes to reputation.

Aberdeen is too grey of a city and I heard most people there are depressed, the university has some interesting architectural pieces though.

Newcastle is an awesome city, the university ranks well on global and local lists (+its an RG, employers love that) and Geordies are cool people.

Stay away from Strathclyde, it's sub-par. Not known outside of the UK. Nothing appealing there. Plus, who wants to go to a uni which is second in its city...
Reply 4
I'd say Aberdeen and Newcastle are on par when it comes to reputation.

Aberdeen is too grey of a city and I heard most people there are depressed, the university has some interesting architectural pieces though.

Newcastle is an awesome city, the university ranks well on global and local lists (+its an RG, employers love that) and Geordies are cool people.

Stay away from Strathclyde, it's sub-par. Not known outside of the UK. Nothing appealing there. Plus, who wants to go to a uni which is second in its city...

Yeah I understand what you’re saying regarding Strath, but with the other two, does it matter that Aberdeen is so much higher in the rankings for law than Ncl? Like Aberdeen is 9th and Ncl is 27th. I’m not sure how much importance I should put on the rankings considering Ncl is just a much preferable place to students as well as employers...
Yeah I understand what you’re saying regarding Strath, but with the other two, does it matter that Aberdeen is so much higher in the rankings for law than Ncl? Like Aberdeen is 9th and Ncl is 27th. I’m not sure how much importance I should put on the rankings considering Ncl is just a much preferable place to students as well as employers...

Now that same list places Glasgow higher than Oxford, Durham and LSE.

Glasgow Caledonian close to Manchester and higher than York, Birmingham and Sussex.

Abertay and Robert Gordon (tf knows who these are) on par with SOAS and Liverpool.

Warwick is 23rd WAY BELOW Aberdeen.

So you tell me.
Reply 6
Now that same list places Glasgow higher than Oxford, Durham and LSE.

Glasgow Caledonian close to Manchester and higher than York, Birmingham and Sussex.

Abertay and Robert Gordon (tf knows who these are) on par with SOAS and Liverpool.

Warwick is 23rd WAY BELOW Aberdeen.

So you tell me.

Ok that makes some sense tbh, thank you for the help :smile:
What subject?
Look at subject rankings and not overall uni rankings
Reply 8
employers don't care about 'Russell Group' nor do they care about rankings; they barely even know what that is especially cuz rankings change every year.

your statement, 'more grads from the RG go onto work in higher earning fields' could be based on anything and guaranteed has nothing to do with the name Russell Group. where'd you get that from btw?

go to the uni you want to go to and worry about your CV. get experience before you graduate and you'll be significantly better than those candidates who think they don't have to work; they just need a certificate.

also moved your thread to Applications. Clearing and UCAS :smile:

Realistically you cannot compare the rankings between Scottish and English universities. If you look at the Scottish ratings for entry standards Scotland does particularly well but if you look at say 2016 that wasn't the case. Most Scottish students come from there and take their system of highers and lowers. English universities have mainly English students who mainly take A levels. Due to the change to Linear exams in England the English entry figures have gone down as the majority of students only now take 3 A levels and no longer take a 4th A level or AS level. This meant a reduction in entry figures in England which hasnt happened in Scotland and is the reason Scottish universities are now ranking so much higher.
I think those comments about Strathclyde are kinda wrong I mean it's ranked 11th law school in the UK and it's situated in the centre of Glasgow. Sure it's not as high as Glasgow Uni but doesn't make it worse? Plus Strathclyde law school produced some good alumni like the first female Lord Advocate of Scotland. I don't think saying it's "unknown" outside the UK is fair.

Aberdeen is a great law school too it's ranked 9th in the UK and the uni seems to put a lot of attention into the subject. They have great student support and seem to be really good at communicating with students.

Forgot to mention that both unis have law clinics where people in the community who cannot afford solicitors go to the uni so students represent them instead. Basically both law schools are great choices and both are in the top 5 in Scotland. Although league tables are not everything (and I know nothing about Newcastle) I'd say that Aberdeen and Strath being much higher says a lot. But all in all, it's about where you'd prefer to be and the quality of degree you leave with.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bigbruhmoment
I think those comments about Strathclyde are kinda wrong I mean it's ranked 11th law school in the UK and it's situated in the centre of Glasgow. Sure it's not as high as Glasgow Uni but doesn't make it worse? Plus Strathclyde law school produced some good alumni like the first female Lord Advocate of Scotland. I don't think saying it's "unknown" outside the UK is fair.

Aberdeen is a great law school too it's ranked 9th in the UK and the uni seems to put a lot of attention into the subject. They have great student support and seem to be really good at communicating with students.

Forgot to mention that both unis have law clinics where people in the community who cannot afford solicitors go to the uni so students represent them instead. Basically both law schools are great choices and both are in the top 5 in Scotland. Although league tables are not everything (and I know nothing about Newcastle) I'd say that Aberdeen and Strath being much higher says a lot. But all in all, it's about where you'd prefer to be and the quality of degree you leave with.

5 of the top 11 universities for Law in the Complete university guide are Scottish and Glasgow is ranked above Oxford, In 2017 before the change to linear exams were introduced only 2 Scottish universities were in the top 10 and the highest ranked was Glasgow at 6th ranked below Oxford, Cambridge and 3 London universities. My statement is true and Scottish universities have climbed the rankings since the change. This has made comparisons between English and Scottish universities inaccurate. Students should not try to compare English and Scottish universities as the change to linear exams in England has reduced entry figures and the rankings are no longer a true reflection as it used to be.
Higher than Oxford?

Times World University rankings for law

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/subject-ranking/law#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

and if you want to work in the very top jobs

https://www.legalcheek.com/2016/02/research-over-70-of-top-judges-and-barristers-are-privately-educated-or-oxbridge-elite/

But I personally would not go on university rankings, but how appealing the course is.

I went to Manchester uni and didn't go to an open day (not sure if they had them in those days). I honestly wish I had gone somewhere smaller and more picturesque. Even if you cannot visit the actual city, maybe have a look at the youtube videos below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY5kPfH3TRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT5uxcPwkB0

Strathclyde university:

Nice to see this has been voted university of the year. Here are some videos

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=strathclyde+university+youtube&&view=detail&mid=D7229D6F3609322FC0F2D7229D6F3609322FC0F2&rvsmid=E755893BB45DFBFF9D68E755893BB45DFBFF9D68&FORM=VDQVAP

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=strathclyde+university+youtube&docid=608007020387241245&mid=E755893BB45DFBFF9D68E755893BB45DFBFF9D68&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Glasgow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2Jmyv8JSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkO0DUmHvxQ

Aberdeen university

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8fk_iF_yTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LN1Qi5EEqQ

Sorry you can't make the unis in person, but I hope this helps.

Maybe Harrysbar can swing by this thread and give us a comment?
I agree with @swanseajack1 that the high position that Scottish unis hold in league tables compared to English unis is a bit misleading due to the entry figures nearly always seeming lower from English applicants.

Take a look at this thread created by J Papi from the Law forum - in particular, point 9 on "Scottish univerisites are not as selective for law as their entry tarfiffs suggest"

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6247090
That's an interesting perspective from Harrys and Swansea Jack.

Hope OP has a clearer perspective about all chosen unis now.
Original post by Oxford Mum

Yes hope so - basically they should just choose whichever uni appeals to them the most and not worry too much about league tables
Original post by harrysbar
Yes hope so - basically they should just choose whichever uni appeals to them the most and not worry too much about league tables

My thoughts exactly.
Reply 17
Original post by Oxford Mum

Hey, I would just like to thank everyone who contributed to this conversation. It really has helped me broaden my views! There is time left until we have to make our final decisions but all of your advice has definitely helped in the tough decision making. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending