The Student Room Group

Aqa A level English Language Investigation

Hi, I am starting to do my investigation course work and was wondering if anyone knew if my idea would be good enough to use. I was thinking of doing it on 'how fairytales have evolved through the years and how gender roles have changed', I think there will be enough to write about but I'm not sure- any advice would massively help!
Reply 1
Original post by m.jane20
Hi, I am starting to do my investigation course work and was wondering if anyone knew if my idea would be good enough to use. I was thinking of doing it on 'how fairytales have evolved through the years and how gender roles have changed', I think there will be enough to write about but I'm not sure- any advice would massively help!

Sounds like a good idea! I would pick a few key themes to cover- then choose the fairytales you want to investigate. If the themes fit with the fairytales then you’ll definitely have enough to write about so you can carry on your plan from there :smile:
Reply 2
What themes would you suggest doing- gender would be one but I don’t know what else?
Reply 3
Original post by SashaB
Sounds like a good idea! I would pick a few key themes to cover- then choose the fairytales you want to investigate. If the themes fit with the fairytales then you’ll definitely have enough to write about so you can carry on your plan from there :smile:

What themes would you suggest doing- gender would be one but I don’t know what else?
Reply 4

Genders a good one so probably focus on that as your main one. You could also look at the different ways they’ve been told- so they used to be orally passed down through generations, and then written in books, now most are movies. You could look at different presentations of antagonists within them. The behaviours encouraged/discouraged. The morals behind them. Just a few ideas! Hope it helps.
You don’t really need any other theme other than gender. That’s the point of the coursework, you pick one thing such as gender, race, culture, class etc and then write your essay. I.e. I did mine on how gender has been presented through advertisements overtime. I had a few friends who did gender roles in fairytales and so I think your investigation title is fine! My friend titled hers “How have the representations of women’s identities changed over time in fairytales?”. And then she picked 5 different primary sources (so five different texts) and discussed those
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by SashaB
Genders a good one so probably focus on that as your main one. You could also look at the different ways they’ve been told- so they used to be orally passed down through generations, and then written in books, now most are movies. You could look at different presentations of antagonists within them. The behaviours encouraged/discouraged. The morals behind them. Just a few ideas! Hope it helps.

Thank you, that is really helpful!! Would you recommend that I just use gender theorists or other types.
Reply 7
Original post by English2001
You don’t really need any other theme other than gender. That’s the point of the coursework, you pick one thing such as gender, race, culture, class etc and then write your essay. I.e. I did mine on how gender has been presented through advertisements overtime. I had a few friends who did gender roles in fairytales and so I think your investigation title is fine! My friend titled hers “How have the representations of women’s identities changed over time in fairytales?”. And then she picked 5 different primary sources (so five different texts) and discussed those

Ok and yes I think I’m going to go on a similar path as your friends. I might look at gender and race and compare how they have changed from older and newer fairy tales??
Reply 8
Thank you, that is really helpful!! Would you recommend that I just use gender theorists or other types.

Probably just gender theorists if thats your focus. But maybe look for one other as a comparison?
Reply 9
Original post by SashaB
Probably just gender theorists if thats your focus. But maybe look for one other as a comparison?

Ok, I will do. Thank you, you’ve been really helpfull!!
Reply 10
Ok, I will do. Thank you, you’ve been really helpfull!!

No problem! :smile:
Ok and yes I think I’m going to go on a similar path as your friends. I might look at gender and race and compare how they have changed from older and newer fairy tales??

Sounds good, other than don’t do race *and* gender, just pick one or the other because you really need to focus on one theme and do an in-depth study/investigation into it
Reply 12
Original post by English2001
Sounds good, other than don’t do race *and* gender, just pick one or the other because you really need to focus on one theme and do an in-depth study/investigation into it

Ok, yeh I will just focus on gender then. Thank you for your help!!

Quick Reply

Latest