The Student Room Group

A100 rejections

I've been rejected by all my university choices pre interview and I'm not completely sure why. I feel really unmotivated and down. Ive emailed all the universities but they all sent out generic template emails that weren't very helpful. Any advice on why I might've been rejected, what to do next or anyone who's currently or has been in the same position?
A levels : AAA predicted (bio, chemistry, maths)
GCSEs:88887766AB
UCAT:2510 AVG 627.5 B2
applied to Glasgow, Birmingham, Kent and Medway, Aston
Reply 1
I can't really help you coz I'm only currently doing my GCSEs but keep going! Don't stop trying.
this may not have been helpful but that's the best advice I can give you
You'll get somewhere eventually
Original post by libbyab
I've been rejected by all my university choices pre interview and I'm not completely sure why. I feel really unmotivated and down. Ive emailed all the universities but they all sent out generic template emails that weren't very helpful. Any advice on why I might've been rejected, what to do next or anyone who's currently or has been in the same position?

if you've been rejected pre-interview then its likely your stats weren't good enough; you applied to Birmingham which uses (7?) GCSES alongside UCAT scores for shortlisting and your GCSEs likely weren't good enough and your UCAT probably wasn't high enough to compensate. When you reapply look at the threads on here to do with which medical schools to apply to and apply strategically.
maybe personal statement or teacher's reference ?
Reply 5
Birmingham - score applicants for GCSEs. Your GCSEs are good, but competition for medicine is very strong and it’s likely that other candidates will have been able to offer more 8/9 grades. With your grades it’s advisable to avoid unis that score GCSEs.

Aston - not sure of their selection procedure but if it involves scoring GCSEs this could explain the issue.

Glasgow - highest UCAT scores invited to interview. PS also reviewed and should be satisfactory. Did you do enough work experience?

Kent and Medway - UCAT used alongside academic criteria to select for interview. PS also reviewed prior to interview and could be used to differentiate between similarly ranked candidates.

Based on this info, I would say you reason for rejections is likely to be a combination of applying to the wrong places, but also possibly your UCAT score (Birmingham use your overall score, rather than the average which would work against you). I’m not sure what your work experience is, but usually this doesn’t come into play until interview stage although at least three of your choices review the PS to look for evidence of commitment. It is possible there might have been weaknesses here as well.

If you’re serious about medicine, consider taking a gap year to get more experience (when possible) and try to improve your UCAT score. Also try to be more tactical when applying in future.
Original post by Keels25
Birmingham - score applicants for GCSEs. Your GCSEs are good, but competition for medicine is very strong and it’s likely that other candidates will have been able to offer more 8/9 grades. With your grades it’s advisable to avoid unis that score GCSEs.

Aston - not sure of their selection procedure but if it involves scoring GCSEs this could explain the issue.

Glasgow - highest UCAT scores invited to interview. PS also reviewed and should be satisfactory. Did you do enough work experience?

Kent and Medway - UCAT used alongside academic criteria to select for interview. PS also reviewed prior to interview and could be used to differentiate between similarly ranked candidates.

Based on this info, I would say you reason for rejections is likely to be a combination of applying to the wrong places, but also possibly your UCAT score (Birmingham use your overall score, rather than the average which would work against you). I’m not sure what your work experience is, but usually this doesn’t come into play until interview stage although at least three of your choices review the PS to look for evidence of commitment. It is possible there might have been weaknesses here as well.

If you’re serious about medicine, consider taking a gap year to get more experience (when possible) and try to improve your UCAT score. Also try to be more tactical when applying in future.

I thought clinical medical work experience was not needed, like its recommended but it is not needed
Reply 7
Original post by stereotypeasian
I thought clinical medical work experience was not needed, like its recommended but it is not needed

That is right, but if the OP did not demonstrate their skills from whatever experience they had enough then this could have impacted their likelihood of success. Getting clinical experience is not required, but there are plenty of non-clinical experiences that can enhance an application.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by stereotypeasian

Its not officially mandatory but you will probably need it to stand a chance; like if everyone else has some and can talk about it you would be at a disadvantage and would need to really go above in other areas.
I heard Kent and Medway selection process was quite different as people who had the grades and UCAT were rejected while people who had lower were accepted. I applied to Aston as well but your UCAT is much higher than mine so I’m not sure why. Maybe double check uni selection process like I know they do points for how many 9,8 and 7 you get for some unis and then they take your UCAT into account as well, but I’m not really sure with the Aston one because I think it was good enough. Next thing you have to take into consideration is your personal statement and your reference, because they do take that into account as well. I know we are not doing exams anymore, but just making sure now to prepare just incase you want better grades is the best thing, so that you have a stronger application now that you have the grades if you were to apply again. I also heard that George’s does clearing, but I don’t know if they will do that this year due to the situation, so if you get AAA at the end of July, maybe calling them to see if they will do clearing and maybe getting a place there?
Reply 10
Original post by libbyab

2 of your choices just did not suit your stats.
Birmingham use GCSEs 60% and UCAT 40% to select and generally require 5+ A*s/8s and even then, a UCAT of 2710+
Glasgow select solely on UCAT and usually need around 660+
KMMS turned out to use something akin to a pin, a tail and a donky to select their applicants, and as noted, rejected some very highly scoring applicants and selected those with apparently less good stats. It appears they cntextualised everybody's data, so a lot would depend on whether your school is a below average perforoming one.
Aston scores scores 6 GCSEs with Maths, English Language, Biology and Chemistry being compulsory for 2/3 of selection with the rest being UCAT, so a bit depends on what your 6/Bs were in.

Your stats are good enough for plenty of med schools (barring PS or reference red flags) and would have got you interviews at SGUL, Plymouth, UEA, probably Lincoln, Liverpool, QUB. If you remain keen on medicine, resit the UCAT as many people do better with a second sitting and make sure you apply to your strengths.
Reply 11
Original post by Levi.-
Its not officially mandatory but you will probably need it to stand a chance; like if everyone else has some and can talk about it you would be at a disadvantage and would need to really go above in other areas.

As long as you can demonstrate you understand what being a Dr entails and can discuss the required qualities, where you have seen them demonstrated, why they are important and how you show them yourself, clinical work experience is not needed at all and many people every year get an offer not having managed to acquire any.
Hi, I have an offer for medicine but I don't think I will get the grades I need to get in. I know that I can take my A levels in September this year however, I may lose my offer if I do decide to. This is why I was thinking about doing the exams in September and reapplying for 2021 entry. My UCAT score wasn't the best so I would like to potentially resit that but I'm worried I may score worse this time round compared to last time. If I do score worse can I use the score I got last year or not? Thanks
Original post by Chocolatte148
Hi, I have an offer for medicine but I don't think I will get the grades I need to get in. I know that I can take my A levels in September this year however, I may lose my offer if I do decide to. This is why I was thinking about doing the exams in September and reapplying for 2021 entry. My UCAT score wasn't the best so I would like to potentially resit that but I'm worried I may score worse this time round compared to last time. If I do score worse can I use the score I got last year or not? Thanks

UCAT is only sit it once per admissions cycle and results only valid for that application cycle .
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by libbyab

I’m in the same position unfortunately
I got 2 pre interview rejections and 2 post interview rejections
I have an offer for psychology but I think I’ll take a gap year and reapply
Reply 15
Original post by Ensoetre
I’m in the same position unfortunately
I got 2 pre interview rejections and 2 post interview rejections
I have an offer for psychology but I think I’ll take a gap year and reapply

Im sorry about that :frown: good luck for when you reapply!
Reply 16
Original post by GANFYD
2 of your choices just did not suit your stats.
Birmingham use GCSEs 60% and UCAT 40% to select and generally require 5+ A*s/8s and even then, a UCAT of 2710+
Glasgow select solely on UCAT and usually need around 660+
KMMS turned out to use something akin to a pin, a tail and a donky to select their applicants, and as noted, rejected some very highly scoring applicants and selected those with apparently less good stats. It appears they cntextualised everybody's data, so a lot would depend on whether your school is a below average perforoming one.
Aston scores scores 6 GCSEs with Maths, English Language, Biology and Chemistry being compulsory for 2/3 of selection with the rest being UCAT, so a bit depends on what your 6/Bs were in.

Your stats are good enough for plenty of med schools (barring PS or reference red flags) and would have got you interviews at SGUL, Plymouth, UEA, probably Lincoln, Liverpool, QUB. If you remain keen on medicine, resit the UCAT as many people do better with a second sitting and make sure you apply to your strengths.

thank you so much, this really helped and has honestly motivated me a little more to know that my stats are good enough for some med schools. Ill definitely play to my strengths for next time

Latest

Trending

Trending