The Student Room Group

Do I need a history Gcse to do classical civilisation A leval

I am thinking of doing classical civilisation instead of sociology. I didn't take a history Gcse, instead I did geography. Do I need history Gcse to do this course or can I do it without and still do well??
Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Pennk04
I am thinking of doing classical civilisation instead of sociology. I didn't take a history Gcse, instead I did geography. Do I need history Gcse to do this course or can I do it without and still do well??
Thanks

Hey @Pennk04 :smile:

A lot of the A-Level choices are available to students who haven't studied them at GCSE level and so I wouldn't worry too much about not having studied History at GCSE when wanting to study classical civilisation at A-Level.

Instead, you could use your worries and turn them into positives by being proactive and maybe doing some reading around classical civilisation. You could look at the key texts surrounding the area and familiarise yourself with the key theories that come with it (Roman and Greek civilisation etc).

I hope you find this helpful if I can help you at all please let me know.

Ashley :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hey @Pennk04 :smile:

A lot of the A-Level choices are available to students who haven't studied them at GCSE level and so I wouldn't worry too much about not having studied History at GCSE when wanting to study classical civilisation at A-Level.

Instead, you could use your worries and turn them into positives by being proactive and maybe doing some reading around classical civilisation. You could look at the key texts surrounding the area and familiarise yourself with the key theories that come with it (Roman and Greek civilisation etc).

I hope you find this helpful if I can help you at all please let me know.

Ashley :biggrin:

Thanks, you have been really helpful
Original post by Pennk04
Thanks

No, its fine to have no prior knowledge , although this summer is a fine time to do some prep reading.
Original post by Pennk04
Thanks, you have been really helpful

Hi there @Pennk04

You're welcome and good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
No, its fine to have no prior knowledge , although this summer is a fine time to do some prep reading.

Thanks, I will definitely do some!!
Original post by Pennk04
Thanks, I will definitely do some!!

I suggest finding out what the spec is and ask the teacher what they key texts are. You will almost certainly cover Homer so the Odyssey or the lliad or both.Loads of documentaries on Greece and Rome on youtube.

If you want some fun, then I recommend watching the HBO series Rome 2x seasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending