The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL or Bristol for Politics

Hi there!I am stuck between firming UCL or Bristol to study Politics and IR. Additionally, I'm struggling more because the coronavirus pandemic has meant I cannot visit either uni. I know UCL performs better in the rankings but I come from a small town so I'm not sure whether London would be best for me personally. Also, I've seen comments about accomodation being bad at Bristol so I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Politics at Bristol for Better uni experience, better satisfaction, better quality of teaching and possibly life during uni.

Politics at UCL, far more stressful, expensive and less satisfaction. Advantage being better salary jobs after uni and better opportunities being broadcasted constantly due to brand name.

I’d sound hypocritical because I plan to go UCL for economics (didn’t apply to Bristol, I’m London based), I’d say go for Bristol if you’re able to.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by naomi84t
Hi there!I am stuck between firming UCL or Bristol to study Politics and IR. Additionally, I'm struggling more because the coronavirus pandemic has meant I cannot visit either uni. I know UCL performs better in the rankings but I come from a small town so I'm not sure whether London would be best for me personally. Also, I've seen comments about accomodation being bad at Bristol so I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

yeah it's fine for postgrad but don't spend your undergrad days in London if you can help it
Reply 3
Original post by A Rolling Stone
yeah it's fine for postgrad but don't spend your undergrad days in London if you can help it

May I ask why you think that?
May I ask why you think that?

London is just not a student city. It's merely an international city for tourism and commerce.
London is just not a student city. It's merely an international city for tourism and commerce.

What a stupid thing to say, as usual. There are about 400,000 students in London or about 17% of the entire UK student population. Did you get this from the Daily Mail again?

Bristol is a very large city too! You're going to find either of these choices vast places if you come from a small town, but I'd definitely chose UCL over Bristol, and not just for the rankings. :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
What a stupid thing to say, as usual. There are about 400,000 students in London or about 17% of the entire UK student population. Did you get this from the Daily Mail again?

Bristol is a very large city too! You're going to find either of these choices vast places if you come from a small town, but I'd definitely chose UCL over Bristol, and not just for the rankings. :smile:

and what % of London's population are students compared to other cities such as Nottingham, Leeds and Bristol? Looks like we have an Einstein in the room.
and what % of London's population are students compared to other cities such as Nottingham, Leeds and Bristol? Looks like we have an Einstein in the room.

Maths isn't really your strength, is it?

If London has 400,000 students, and 17% of the entire UK student population are to be found in London, your silly assertion that 'London is not a student city' is palpable *******s. The number of students as a proportion of London's population is irrelevant. If ALL the UK's 2.4 million students were based in London, this would still only represent a quarter of the population - i.e. 75% would still not be students. You would then presumably go on to make the silly claim that 'London isn't a student city', even though it would be the only student city in the UK...

Is that really that difficult to understand? :facepalm2:
Original post by Reality Check
Maths isn't really your strength, is it?

If London has 400,000 students, and 17% of the entire UK student population are to be found in London, your silly assertion that 'London is not a student city' is palpable *******s. The number of students as a proportion of London's population is irrelevant. If ALL the UK's 2.4 million students were based in London, this would still only represent a quarter of the population - i.e. 75% would still not be students. You would then presumably go on to make the silly claim that 'London isn't a student city', even though it would be the only student city in the UK...

Is that really that difficult to understand? :facepalm2:

lmao, making fun of my maths. why don't you do a little sum of the student population/city population *100% for London vs Nottingham. That will keep you busy for a while.
Reply 9
Didn’t realise this topic would cause so much tension 😂 thank you all for your inputs
Didn’t realise this topic would cause so much tension 😂 thank you all for your inputs

:laugh: It's TSR. Drama.com.

😂 I’m doing politics and ir at Bristol next year and I already live in London so a bit bias but the response from students tends to be more negative if u went to London as not only is it very expensive it’s not as typically uni social as if u went to Bristol also Bristol ranks 3rd for student life. So depends what u value more social life and typical uni life or post uni job offers etc
I acc live in London and idk either to pick UCL or Bristol ?? I care more about salary tbh but UCl course is new it opened last year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending