The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester accommodation

I am an international student considering going to Manchester as and undergraduate next year. Before applying for accommodation I was wondering if any current Manchester students could give me their opinions on where they think the best place to stay at is?
I would say definitely if you want a good social life then anywhere in fallowfield is elite, choose city if you fancy avoiding commuting to uni and prefer a quieter scene, and victoria park if you hate yourself:biggrin:
personally I’d look at richmond/unsworth park but above everything avoid st anselms hall
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by schildkrote
I would say definitely if you want a good social life then anywhere in fallowfield is elite, choose city if you fancy avoiding commuting to uni and prefer a quieter scene, and victoria park if you hate yourself:biggrin:
personally I’d look at richmond/unsworth park but above everything avoid st anselms hall

Whats so bad about VP? I applied to 4/5 in Fallowfield and then Hulme Hall in VP. Is it really that bad there?
Original post by sasat
Whats so bad about VP? I applied to 4/5 in Fallowfield and then Hulme Hall in VP. Is it really that bad there?

In fairness hulme is probably the best of all of victoria just cos it’s close to lidl and has it’s own bar, it’s just that with vp the location is pretty bad/too far from uni, the socials are pretty bad, and most of the rooms look like they belong in a prison so it’s just a generally pretty bad group of accommodation
Original post by schildkrote
In fairness hulme is probably the best of all of victoria just cos it’s close to lidl and has it’s own bar, it’s just that with vp the location is pretty bad/too far from uni, the socials are pretty bad, and most of the rooms look like they belong in a prison so it’s just a generally pretty bad group of accommodation

What is liberty park like in Victoria park?
Original post by sasat

Where did you end up? I’ve been allocated hulme hall but wanted unsworth
Reply 6
Original post by monkswales
Where did you end up? I’ve been allocated hulme hall but wanted unsworth

Hey, so I ended up in Hulme Hall.
TBH its very unlikely you'll get Unsworth now since its super oversubscribed for being really nice.
If you're also looking for a crazy social life I'd suggest moving to Fallow and while Oak and Owens have really good parties all the time the conditions do get really bad and I've seen some ****ed up kitchens.

As for Hulme Hall itself I really liked it despite initially wanting fallow, so don't feel bad at all for getting it - its a great time (or at least was this year).
The catering itself was really good and convenient up until like Feb and then went a bit meh for some reason after.
Social life wise Hulme is probably the closest you can get to fallow social life without being there, its considerably better than the rest of Victoria Park while also really letting you choose if you want to be more chill or go out and socialize with people.
The facilities are really nice and toilets etc aren't too crowded so apart from the occasional hole in a wall that gets fixed quick, its very clean. Theres also the Hulme Bar and some other sports facilities which we weren't really allowed to use after the big COVID spike after Freshers but heard its usually great.

Overall its a good hall to get and while I do feel like I missed out a bit not being Fallow as most of the social life this year was in house/flat parties there, your year will hopefully get to go out to clubs etc so it shouldn't be that important and you'll get to meet cool people in Hulme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending