The Student Room Group

Perception about the on-line master degree

How is the perception about the online course Master degree?? Is there any prejudice about it in UK?

I’m wondering, cause I plan to apply for the online Master degree course in this year, and also I wanna keep doing my current work.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Why do people think this? This is a question that comes up again and again but I’ve never understood it. A degree is a degree. Unless it’s from an online only university, employers would have no idea just by looking at it that it was even done online. And why would there be any negative associations with a degree done online anyway? If anything a distance learning degree says a lot of positive things about your ability to manage your own time and your motivation levels.
As long as your master’s is from an accredited university there is no problem with doing your degree as a distance learning option.
Reply 2
Original post by giella
Why do people think this? This is a question that comes up again and again but I’ve never understood it. A degree is a degree. Unless it’s from an online only university, employers would have no idea just by looking at it that it was even done online. And why would there be any negative associations with a degree done online anyway? If anything a distance learning degree says a lot of positive things about your ability to manage your own time and your motivation levels.
As long as your master’s is from an accredited university there is no problem with doing your degree as a distance learning option.

Thank you giella, for your kind opinion and reply! I think people care about it cause there is a perception in some other countries that the online master degree could be earned much easier than off line course. ;( (Just my guess!) Anyway, so appreciate for your reply. It’s really helpful for making my decision. :smile:
I did an online undergraduate degree and no one knows that I did unless I tell them. It doesn't say on my degree certificate. I do tell people because it tells people my story. I had to manage my time effectively. Yes, every student has to manage their time but when you are juggling this with a full time job (and in some cases a family) and you come home and motivate yourself to study, it says something about your character. It wasn't easy doing it online and it is not for everyone (I personally found there was much less support than on campus). I'm currently doing a PGCE so I have experienced both. However, it was worth it in the end and I am more independent in my studying than some of the others on my PGCE course who are now struggling with online teaching, since the COVID-19 outbreak.
Reply 4
Original post by Muserock
I did an online undergraduate degree and no one knows that I did unless I tell them. It doesn't say on my degree certificate. I do tell people because it tells people my story. I had to manage my time effectively. Yes, every student has to manage their time but when you are juggling this with a full time job (and in some cases a family) and you come home and motivate yourself to study, it says something about your character. It wasn't easy doing it online and it is not for everyone (I personally found there was much less support than on campus). I'm currently doing a PGCE so I have experienced both. However, it was worth it in the end and I am more independent in my studying than some of the others on my PGCE course who are now struggling with online teaching, since the COVID-19 outbreak.

Thank you. It's really helpful for making my decision that sharing your experience, both online and on campus study. Actually, I'm currently working and wanna keep doing my job, while I'm studying for the master degree. So I've started to considering about the online course and have some concerns like what I posted. Thank you for your reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending