The Student Room Group

Just want to be able to drive

Ive got my test rebooked due to this corona **** happening. Its just after this lockdown is over Im not going to be able to drive until my test which sucks, I have to use the bus which is which is actually nasty, the bus sucks so much especially at 18 turning 19, I just need to pass my driving test 1st time or Im stuck with the bus and getting lifts. I try to avoid getting seen on the bus, Im considering buying some baliclavavas to put on while Im on it because its actually a lot of people who went to my school who drive now while I thought it was a very few, it actually the very few who dont drive. People on social media share it that they have a car and everything but some people dont so I thought they dint drive but they do. Its actually to the point when Im nearly 19 now, I dont drive which is embarassing, it sometimes effects my self esteem a bit and makes me anxious sometimes. I feel embarassed which I should but I think its good that Im learning but I just need to pass this test quick now. I mean once I get my licence Im sound, I can start making cvs and put I drive then employers might be more intrested in hiring me but if you cant drive they could think nope, also its a lot harder to get to work if you cant drive even if you do get a job without it, you have to be reliant. I have just wanted to be able drive for so long and I mean years.

People say driving is bad for the enviroment but they have a big electric car range now or hybrid plus bus are bad as well some older ones a pumping out a lot of fumes aprently cycling is as well according to jeremy clarkson and a news artical so driving is probably the best.

I have been kind of feeling bad that I cant drive as well because my friend gives me lifts sometimes but I take lifts but cant return which is greedy. I just hate the fact that I cant drive yet and it sucks so much.

Scroll to see replies

Just say you are using public transport as you support the environment. Anyone who thinks less of you because of it is not a friend, and remember there are people with hidden disabilities who will never be allowed to drive.

Jeremy Clarkson's views are awful in my opinion, and why should you take notice of the man who made jeans unfashionable.
Reply 2
Original post by barnetlad
Just say you are using public transport as you support the environment. Anyone who thinks less of you because of it is not a friend, and remember there are people with hidden disabilities who will never be allowed to drive.

Jeremy Clarkson's views are awful in my opinion, and why should you take notice of the man who made jeans unfashionable.

Like I stated public transport isnt even that good for the enviroment in its self, massive old buses, I know they do hybrid buses but a lot of buses arent hybrid and you cant choose what bus comes but with a car you can choose what car to buy.

Its not just clarkson who said that, its news articals as well.
From my own experience, you can get by pretty well with a moped, certainly in urban areas.

In the longer term, it's those others who are going to feel pretty stupid, going to the trouble and expense of starting driving only to find it all rendered redundant in a few years once driverless cars take off - a development which the current crisis may well hasten as all automation helps to reduce human-human contact in the workplace.
Reply 4
Original post by Justvisited
From my own experience, you can get by pretty well with a moped, certainly in urban areas.

In the longer term, it's those others who are going to feel pretty stupid, going to the trouble and expense of starting driving only to find it all rendered redundant in a few years once driverless cars take off - a development which the current crisis may well hasten as all automation helps to reduce human-human contact in the workplace.

Driverless cars are going be expensive and people prefer to drive anyway. Driverless cars will be good for people who dont like driving and used public transport, people might buy them then less people will use public transport.
Reply 5
Original post by Anon 66
Ive got my test rebooked due to this corona **** happening. Its just after this lockdown is over

Do you know something the rest of the country doesn't? No one knows when the restrictions will be lifted.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Do you know something the rest of the country doesn't? No one knows when the restrictions will be lifted.

Its probably going to be soon, maybe a few weeks, there are signs of it like shops are lifting restrictions you arent restricted on how much you can buy
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Anon 66
Its probably going to be soon, maybe a few weeks, there are signs of it like shops are lifting restrictions you arent restricted on how much you can buy

That's because stock is resuming to normal levels, not because we are on the verge of restrictions being lifted. We are a long way off.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
That's because stock is resuming to normal levels, not because we are on the verge of restrictions being lifted. We are a long way off.

We arent mate, its other things like driving tests are rescheduled to summer, it depends what you class as a long way off
Reply 9
Original post by Anon 66
We arent mate, its other things like driving tests are rescheduled to summer, it depends what you class as a long way off

Summer is a long way off - it is not "a few weeks".
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
Summer is a long way off - it is not "a few weeks".

Summer is a few weeks 8 weeks then its june, thats when summer starts. A few months isnt a long way off.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Anon 66
Summer is a few weeks 8 weeks then its june, thats when summer starts. A few months isnt a long way off.

Summer begins on the 20th June. That's 11 weeks...
Reply 12
Original post by IWMTom
Summer begins on the 20th June. That's 11 weeks...

Its still not a long way off plus its now saying that the lockdown could be over in 6 weeks
Original post by Anon 66
Ive got my test rebooked due to this corona **** happening. Its just after this lockdown is over Im not going to be able to drive until my test which sucks, I have to use the bus which is which is actually nasty, the bus sucks so much especially at 18 turning 19, I just need to pass my driving test 1st time or Im stuck with the bus and getting lifts. I try to avoid getting seen on the bus, Im considering buying some baliclavavas to put on while Im on it because its actually a lot of people who went to my school who drive now while I thought it was a very few, it actually the very few who dont drive. People on social media share it that they have a car and everything but some people dont so I thought they dint drive but they do. Its actually to the point when Im nearly 19 now, I dont drive which is embarassing, it sometimes effects my self esteem a bit and makes me anxious sometimes. I feel embarassed which I should but I think its good that Im learning but I just need to pass this test quick now. I mean once I get my licence Im sound, I can start making cvs and put I drive then employers might be more intrested in hiring me but if you cant drive they could think nope, also its a lot harder to get to work if you cant drive even if you do get a job without it, you have to be reliant. I have just wanted to be able drive for so long and I mean years.

People say driving is bad for the enviroment but they have a big electric car range now or hybrid plus bus are bad as well some older ones a pumping out a lot of fumes aprently cycling is as well according to jeremy clarkson and a news artical so driving is probably the best.

I have been kind of feeling bad that I cant drive as well because my friend gives me lifts sometimes but I take lifts but cant return which is greedy. I just hate the fact that I cant drive yet and it sucks so much.

It took me a while to learn to drive but I passed first time just over a year ago. It's a great skill to have and just because you have a license doesn't mean you have to drive all the time. I share a car with my sister so I barley drive anywhere! Good luck with your test :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
It took me a while to learn to drive but I passed first time just over a year ago. It's a great skill to have and just because you have a license doesn't mean you have to drive all the time. I share a car with my sister so I barley drive anywhere! Good luck with your test :smile:

Apreciate it mate. It might be ok to use public transport the odd time when you have a licence but when you dont have one like me I feel bad that I dont and that is why im on the bus
Reply 15
Original post by Anon 66
Its still not a long way off plus its now saying that the lockdown could be over in 6 weeks

Your concept of time amuses me.
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
Your concept of time amuses me.

Ok
You'll be fine. I understand why you're eager to drive but it's not the end of the world, think of the money you're saving by not having a car to run.

I guess it's not like you need a car to go out at the moment anyway.
(edited 3 years ago)
Being able to drive is just another life skill, the younger you are the easier it is. So they say !!
Once passed you do not need to drive if you don’t want to, but it’s there if need be. Get family to take you out if it’s too expensive to have proper lessons. Who knows what you will be doing in a year or so time, you might need a car for a job. Living in the city there’s plenty of public transport, but the countryside is different. Where I live there’s only 1 bus per day- nightmare.
Reply 19
Original post by Muddypaws1
Being able to drive is just another life skill, the younger you are the easier it is. So they say !!
Once passed you do not need to drive if you don’t want to, but it’s there if need be. Get family to take you out if it’s too expensive to have proper lessons. Who knows what you will be doing in a year or so time, you might need a car for a job. Living in the city there’s plenty of public transport, but the countryside is different. Where I live there’s only 1 bus per day- nightmare.

Its probably an essential skill in life for me.
I am definately getting a car when I pass. Im learning in auto but my familiy have manual cars so I cant really. I dont live in the city and public transport is not much better here for me either.

Quick Reply