The Student Room Group
Yes. Oxbridge are the only ones that really look at GCSE grades. Most unis just want a 5/6 or above in English and Maths :smile:
Hi, I have incredibly average GCSEs, I got mostly Bs, a few As, one 8 and one 9 (I re-sat a year of Sixthform because I wasn't happy with my subjects so I should be in my first year of uni but I'm not). I have offers from Oxford, Exeter and Warwick. I have very good A level predicted grades however so I think that is more influential. :smile:
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Yes. Oxbridge are the only ones that really look at GCSE grades. Most unis just want a 5/6 or above in English and Maths :smile:

What grades are Oxbridge looking for and what grades are other russel group universities looking for?
Original post by DeItaReality
What grades are Oxbridge looking for and what grades are other russel group universities looking for?

I'm not sure what Oxbridge looks for, the website will tell you though. And as I said, most unis look for 5/6 and above in English and Maths, but it really depends on the uni. You'll just have to look at the websites and entry requirements of the unis you're interested in.
Reply 5

Look at the subjects specifically. Also, not just Oxbridge. For example, for some reason, Bath want a 6 in a language at GCSE for my degree. Luckily I have an 8 in French but easy to miss
Original post by dab4jesus420
Hi, I have incredibly average GCSEs, I got mostly Bs, a few As, one 8 and one 9 (I re-sat a year of Sixthform because I wasn't happy with my subjects so I should be in my first year of uni but I'm not). I have offers from Oxford, Exeter and Warwick. I have very good A level predicted grades however so I think that is more influential. :smile:

your results are amazing!!
especially the 9 (!!!!!!!!!!!!)
What a levels are you doing?
Original post by kittyfifi123456
your results are amazing!!
especially the 9 (!!!!!!!!!!!!)
What a levels are you doing?

English Literature, Sociology & Religious Studies - the 9 was in English literature which was what I applied for so I think relevance must also be taken into account. But my average GCSE grade was a B so it certainly is not the deciding factor on which all admissions are judged :smile:
Original post by dab4jesus420
English Literature, Sociology & Religious Studies - the 9 was in English literature which was what I applied for so I think relevance must also be taken into account. But my average GCSE grade was a B so it certainly is not the deciding factor on which all admissions are judged :smile:

wow!
i'm currently deciding on my a levels and it is very similar to yours.Also i LOVE jekyll hyde in english lit - it was soo interesting

Planning on doing computer science,maths ,rs(philosophy,ethics and religion) or english literature but i can't decide (aah) but i'm definietly doing maths and computer science

But i'm soo stressed about my grades due to the coronavirus as i really wanted an 8/9 but i achieved 6/7s in my mocks so :frown:

Anyways how is English literature and rs?
I'm wondering if you got bad gcse results and good a level results by getting A*s and As, will they still accept you even though your gcse results are not good. For example if you get 5s and 6s at GCSE will russel group universities still accept you?

Yeah they will! I had quite average GCSE's tbh. Kings College London wanted a 6 in maths but I only got a 5 (was dreading when I was waiting for them to reply to me). I applied for Psychology and Neuroscience with a placement year and they gave me gave me a contextual offer (lowered the entry requirements from AAB to ABC for me). KCL is 2nd in the world for psychology and psychiatry so I was surprised they did that tbh. Oxbridge would pay closer attention to GCSE's but uni's such as KCL, Warwick and Bristol don't tend to as they look at UCAS grades and personal statements as that is more of an accurate representation of how hard you work.
Original post by Alisha0108
Yeah they will! I had quite average GCSE's tbh. Kings College London wanted a 6 in maths but I only got a 5 (was dreading when I was waiting for them to reply to me). I applied for Psychology and Neuroscience with a placement year and they gave me gave me a contextual offer (lowered the entry requirements from AAB to ABC for me). KCL is 2nd in the world for psychology and psychiatry so I was surprised they did that tbh. Oxbridge would pay closer attention to GCSE's but uni's such as KCL, Warwick and Bristol don't tend to as they look at UCAS grades and personal statements as that is more of an accurate representation of how hard you work.

Ah, thank you very much. Good luck in your studies.

What degree at you looking at? Oxbridge and Russell group are not best for all subjects.
Original post by Muttley79
What degree at you looking at? Oxbridge and Russell group are not best for all subjects.

I'm not on that stage yet as I'm going to go to sixth form but I'm just asking as they are top universities.
I'm not on that stage yet as I'm going to go to sixth form but I'm just asking as they are top universities.

They aren't for many areas of study ... RG are just universities who belong to a self-selecting club - Bath is not RG yet is regarded more highly than some RG. For degree like Medicine the university makes no difference and for Engineering the newer universities are actually often better.
Very few courses look at GCSEs in much detail, beyond checking whether you have the right english/maths grades. (normally a 4/5 or above)
Cambridge doesn't care about GCSEs, Oxford does but it varies between courses how important they are (and good performance on the relevant pre-interview assessment will outweigh GCSEs usually). Otherwise the only one I know of that seems to scrutinise GCSEs in any way are some courses at LSE (mainly the very competitive ones), and some (but not all) medical schools which use them as part of their shortlisting criteria (including Oxford but not, as above, Cambridge).

By and large GCSEs won't make much difference provided you do well in A-levels.
Original post by kittyfifi123456
wow!
i'm currently deciding on my a levels and it is very similar to yours.Also i LOVE jekyll hyde in english lit - it was soo interesting

Planning on doing computer science,maths ,rs(philosophy,ethics and religion) or english literature but i can't decide (aah) but i'm definietly doing maths and computer science

But i'm soo stressed about my grades due to the coronavirus as i really wanted an 8/9 but i achieved 6/7s in my mocks so :frown:

Anyways how is English literature and rs?

I guess it depends on the exam board but I found English literature to be the easiest of all my subjects. It's a step up from GCSE of course but by no means impossible. I did OCR RS and that was challenging purely by the amount of content you are expected to know. If you are applying to Oxbridge I would recommend choosing subjects that are relevant to each other however. So maybe drop the science and keep maths, RS and Eng lit if you're thinking about PPE or philosophy. :smile:
Original post by Alisha0108

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and am actually applying to do psychology and neuroscience w/ placement at KCL like you and know I need A* A A at a level but do you have any advice on how to get an offer?

Latest