The Student Room Group

opinion on these alevels? help me please

I am planning on doing alevel biology, chemistry and history next year but we have to start doing work now! basically, I am curious as to how difficult these subjects are ( I have been getting 9s in all three in year 11).

Also with chemistry, I feel like I naturally just get it and I haven't tended to need to revise to get a 9 whereas with biology I have to revise for hours and I was wondering how similar this will be with alevel chemistry.
Original post by lucylexa
I am planning on doing alevel biology, chemistry and history next year but we have to start doing work now! basically, I am curious as to how difficult these subjects are ( I have been getting 9s in all three in year 11).

Also with chemistry, I feel like I naturally just get it and I haven't tended to need to revise to get a 9 whereas with biology I have to revise for hours and I was wondering how similar this will be with alevel chemistry.

A level is a step up.
Why do you have to start work now? have you been told to?
Bio hard, Chem boring imo, History has very large volume.
You may make the transition easily, but in some cases people find the step up hard, even if they did well at GCSE.
As for combination, then Bio and Chem work really well together and are suitable for a large number of degrees.
You could choose to do an easier one than History, but if you enjoy it then go for it. You could start familiarising yourself with the periods now.
Original post by 999tigger
a level is a step up.
Why do you have to start work now? Have you been told to?
Bio hard, chem boring imo, history has very large volume.
You may make the transition easily, but in some cases people find the step up hard, even if they did well at gcse.
As for combination, then bio and chem work really well together and are suitable for a large number of degrees.
You could choose to do an easier one than history, but if you enjoy it then go for it. You could start familiarising yourself with the periods now.

sorry its caps lock my computer has broken lol
we have to do work now because obviously we dont have gcses so they want us to start familiarising with the content so i need to know now so i dont start doing a subject for no reason
i think i want to do history because i dont know what i want to do so it still leaves stuff open and i do love it
thank you for the advice
we have to do work now because obviously we dont have gcses so they want us to start familiarising with the content so i need to know now so i dont start doing a subject for no reason
i think i want to do history because i dont know what i want to do so it still leaves stuff open and i do love it
thank you for the advice

A level biology is a big step up, it's a lot of content but i got the grades i got through 'militaristic' (almost!) revision techniques. the biggest mistake people make is to think that they are doing a great job by "summarising" the key points, when the devil is in the detail with biology. Chem is also significantly harder but if you get it you get it and it sounds like you should easily get at least an A!
thank you for the advice

I would do a soft entry. I believe CGP do step ahead books for the 2x science and for history id be happy just to watch loads of films and documentaries.
Reply 5
I do history and biology (or did, yikes). I'm happy to help with anything.

Biology is HARD. I don't want to scare you but it is. There is a massive step up from GCSE here and the content as well as the exams are much harder.

Whilst History is not especially hard, there is a lot of content to learn. Do you know what exam board you are on? What areas of history are you doing?
Original post by hrusse2
I do history and biology (or did, yikes). I'm happy to help with anything.

Biology is HARD. I don't want to scare you but it is. There is a massive step up from GCSE here and the content as well as the exams are much harder.

Whilst History is not especially hard, there is a lot of content to learn. Do you know what exam board you are on? What areas of history are you doing?

history - I think im on ocr and we are doing Russia, Norman England and the British empire I think.
biology - my favourite subject to learn about so I am planning on just revising loads and just getting to grips with it all
thank you for the advice, I am glad I know what to expect tho because this should hopefully make it less of a harsh jump as I do know what to expect
Original post by 999tigger
I would do a soft entry. I believe CGP do step ahead books for the 2x science and for history id be happy just to watch loads of films and documentaries.

yep, we have to do 4 hours a week for each subject guided like a soft entry e.g. timelines for history and then like you said the cgp books and then I also have the bio and chem revision guides so I am going to start making flashcards now so I am ahead and they are all made as I may as well make the most of the time I have available
Original post by kadiatuj0001
I am in year 11 also and I have a lot of free time and I am currently studying chemistry and biology for a levels in September so I would know some of the content in class and I would be able to cope with the workload. I would recommend using snap revise which I am currently using you would see if you like the subject or not.

oooh thank you, that is really helpful! how are you currently revising chem and bio as we are in a similar situation?
Reply 9
I use snap revise but I only use the trial .i just started doing the first topic it is so helpful
(edited 4 years ago)
this is how it looks like when u sign up
Original post by kadiatuj0001
this is how it looks like when u sign up

awh, thank you so much you have been so helpful

Quick Reply

Latest