The Student Room Group

Scottish politics- Cath Calderwood

What is everyone’s opinions on the resignation of Scotland’s chief medical advisor? I have to say that despite her hypocrisy she was good at her job, and played an integral part in Scotland’s approach to the virus. She advised sturgeon on many pivotal moments as Scotland in many ways led the United Kingdom’s propositions and reforms to deal with Covid-19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maggie-xx
What is everyone’s opinions on the resignation of Scotland’s chief medical advisor? I have to say that despite her hypocrisy she was good at her job, and played an integral part in Scotland’s approach to the virus. She advised sturgeon on many pivotal moments as Scotland in many ways led the United Kingdom’s propositions and reforms to deal with Covid-19

She acted like a bėllend and lost all credibility, so she had to go. End of.
Reply 2
She wasn’t suited to the job. Is a gynaecologist for starters and a lying hypocrite.
Reply 3
I don’t see what the problem is of her visiting her holiday house, she’s still staying indoors but just at a different property. And media bullying and harassment just reminds me of the tragedy of Caroline Flack. Again, it’s The Sun’s fault.
(edited 4 years ago)
She will remain in her position just out of the public eye.
Reply 5
Original post by Deggs_14
I don’t see what the problem is of her visiting her holiday house, she’s still staying indoors but just at a different property. And media bullying and harassment just reminds me of the tragedy of Caroline Flack. Again, it’s The Sun’s fault.

It was because she told others not do to so. If she does it, it implies it’s okay for everyone to do so, and the people who aren’t taking the situation seriously enough will have more reason to excuse their actions. She was spoken to by the police about it, so it was clearly wrong and against guidelines she was involved with putting in place.
Reply 6
Original post by Deggs_14

I feel the tabloids should be held to account for this, surely if dr cath resigned prince Charles should quit royal duties as well, although his mum is explicitly above the law why is he not held to responsibility?
Reply 7
I feel the tabloids should be held to account for this, surely if dr cath resigned prince Charles should quit royal duties as well, although his mum is explicitly above the law why is he not held to responsibility?

Not sure what Charles did, but the difference is her job was the chief medical officer, she didn’t follow her own advice. Her job was to take control over this situation in Scotland, and she didn’t even act in accordance with the rules she was giving others.
Reply 8
Original post by Em.-.
Not sure what Charles did, but the difference is her job was the chief medical officer, she didn’t follow her own advice. Her job was to take control over this situation in Scotland, and she didn’t even act in accordance with the rules she was giving others.

Will that epidemiologist apply when SG restarts recruitment?
Reply 9
Original post by Quady
Will that epidemiologist apply when SG restarts recruitment?

Any epidemiologist would be good. Would be surprised if they couldn’t find at least one who wanted the job. Hoping they replace the dentist while they’re at it.
Well, her behaviour was clearly wrong, but I don't think she should have needed to resign. I guess in the "Twitter era", it's easy to create a witch-hunt. I guess I feel that her losing her job is disproportionate compared to what she did.
Reply 11
Original post by Em.-.
Any epidemiologist would be good. Would be surprised if they couldn’t find at least one who wanted the job. Hoping they replace the dentist while they’re at it.

Any epidemiologist will raise Scottish life expectancy after CV19?

What about the ex-GP?
Reply 12
Original post by Quady
Any epidemiologist will raise Scottish life expectancy after CV19?

What about the ex-GP?

I honestly think having one chief medical officer is a bad idea, at this moment in time. This is the first event like it it many many years, and I think it’s best to get input from a group of people who are experts in infectious diseases without necessarily giving one greater authority. Even just a temporary position given to an epidemiologist, or a group of them, would be suitable.

I don’t know much about the ex-GP, but general practitioner implies they should have some knowledge in the field, and I suppose after the outbreak, assuming we allow things to go back to normal without putting trying to prevent an event like this happening again as the main objective, then someone with a wider knowledge would be appropriate for CMO.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Well, her behaviour was clearly wrong, but I don't think she should have needed to resign. I guess in the "Twitter era", it's easy to create a witch-hunt. I guess I feel that her losing her job is disproportionate compared to what she did.

She broke the law twice and acted against her own advice. It is untenable to continue in a position where you are telling others what to do if you will not follow it yourself.
I can't say i'm opposed to her resignation, not least because i don't believe that Scotland should have its own medical officer (or separate anything for that matter).
Reply 15

There's a peculiar misconception here. The UK response has been coordinated through COBRA. While the devolved administrations are part of that process, they are worked on collectively. The only variance was the Scottish Government discouraging mass public gatherings a day or two early, which again was agreed at COBRA due to NHS Scotland's lower resilience level and capacity.

I have little idea whether or not Catherine Calderwood was good at her everyday job. I get that she probably didn't bargain on this happening when she accepted it. But in a public-facing role, she was distinctly unimpressive.

Then, when push came to shove, she took an action that made her position untenable. She shouldn't have been forced out as a punishment, but rather because she was now unable to carry the clear message that she was needed to carry in a convincing way. To keep her on would've been to deal a serious blow to our response, would've resulted in yet more people flouting the rules and would ultimately have cost lives.

If she'd have had any sense, she'd have "advised" Nicola Sturgeon to accept her resignation the first time it was offered. It speaks to Nicola Sturgeon's judgement that she didn't and then had to get rid of her later in the day when it became clear that she'd made a serious miscalculation.
Reply 16
Original post by Chief Wiggum

This isn't about her doing something wrong, it's about the thing that happened completely undermining her ability to do a significant part of her job effectively. I think we all appreciate that popping up to your holiday home probably isn't going to kill anyone, but the second it's clear that you don't take your own advice seriously it becomes impossible to get other people to do so.

I'm sure she'll be a bit sad about it - but she's not going to end up on the breadline and ultimately her own stupidity, albeit on a small level, is what caused all this.
Reply 17

(1) Prince Charles travelled to Birkhall before the lockdown was in effect. He may have done something we don't agree with - but he didn't commit a criminal act.

(2) Prince Charles probably ran his movement by the Government, who likely saw it as a better approach. The Royals do, after all, live in working buildings - social distancing is rather complicated by that.

(3) If this was any government minister, MP or whatever, I'm sure it'd be forgiven. They are not the public face of the medical advice. It is not their own advice that they're flouting. I think you'd have to be fairly obtuse to ignore that.

(4) The tabloids should be "held to account"? For what? They reported both.

No-one wants to be vindictive about this, but it's obvious that Catherine Calderwood is the agent of her own misfortune and there was no other reasonable position to take here.
Reply 18
Original post by L i b

If she'd have had any sense, she'd have "advised" Nicola Sturgeon to accept her resignation the first time it was offered. It speaks to Nicola Sturgeon's judgement that she didn't and then had to get rid of her later in the day when it became clear that she'd made a serious miscalculation.

Was it offered?

An an official, why resign? Not like a minister resigning, they still have a job. Resigning means she's in a worse position than Wetherspoons furloughed folk.
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
I can't say i'm opposed to her resignation, not least because i don't believe that Scotland should have its own medical officer (or separate anything for that matter).

Pretty difficult to have undone that mistake of 1948.

Ditto imposing the English legal system on scotland would have been tricky at any point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending