The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

PGCE Primary 20-21 Skype Interview

I just wanted to make a post about the Skype interview I had today because I know how fear-inducing this whole thing is, I don't want anyone worrying who doesn't need to! I was very apprehensive prior to it, as I'd never had a Skype interview before and interviews are scary anyway without sudden changes of plan!

I wanted to say, there is NOTHING to be scared about! I almost preferred it because it felt like I got more one-to-one time and information from the interviewer.

The woman who interviewed me was incredibly pleasant and easy to talk to, it was more like a chat than an interview, because obviously it was odd for her too! She showed me a presentation where I could ask questions then asked me some questions (which were pretty broad questions that you'd expect, you can easily prepare for them) and had me do a task.

After I did the task, I was then made an offer, subject to passing the other elements of the interview when the university reopens.

So, seriously, it's the most pleasant interview experience I've ever had. Which, okay, isn't saying much as interviews aren't fun but still!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!
Reply 1
Hey What university was it? I have been asked to do a Skype interview too at MMU. They've mentioned the group exercise is going to be amended. But nothing about the other parts such was presentation.. What's this task and do you send it to them once you completed it? I'm super nervous.
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
Reply 2
It was at Sunderland!

I'm not sure how much detail I can go into because of forum rules but I basically just had an interview one-to-one and then had a written task (which I did on word processor) where I was given an educational topic and had ten minutes to send it to her by email. Once the universities reopen, I have to go in and do the tasks that can only be done onsite (like the group tasks and I'm guessing a handwritten task). So my offer is conditional based on that. I didn't have to do a presentation or anything, it was literally just that.

I was absolutely terrified too, but it was honestly a really nice experience and a lot more relaxing than the typical interview format. But I've heard Sunderland is like that in general. Really hope that yours is as pleasant as mine, I'm sure it will be because they'll know it's a very unusual experience so they'll do everything to help you. Just remember- it'll be really strange for them too as they'll have never really done this before either. Keeping that in mind helped me.
Original post by stephanieg1992
I just wanted to make a post about the Skype interview I had today because I know how fear-inducing this whole thing is, I don't want anyone worrying who doesn't need to! I was very apprehensive prior to it, as I'd never had a Skype interview before and interviews are scary anyway without sudden changes of plan!

I wanted to say, there is NOTHING to be scared about! I almost preferred it because it felt like I got more one-to-one time and information from the interviewer.

The woman who interviewed me was incredibly pleasant and easy to talk to, it was more like a chat than an interview, because obviously it was odd for her too! She showed me a presentation where I could ask questions then asked me some questions (which were pretty broad questions that you'd expect, you can easily prepare for them) and had me do a task.

After I did the task, I was then made an offer, subject to passing the other elements of the interview when the university reopens.

So, seriously, it's the most pleasant interview experience I've ever had. Which, okay, isn't saying much as interviews aren't fun but still!

Hi Stephanie!
Thank you for the great feedback regarding your recent interview. We're so glad to hear it went well and look forward to hopefully welcoming you soon :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
Hi Stephanie!
Thank you for the great feedback regarding your recent interview. We're so glad to hear it went well and look forward to hopefully welcoming you soon :smile:

Well, if it were completely down to me, I would definitely be there in September haha!
I hate to sound negative - but I'm currently doing a PGCE with Sunderland, and I would seriously arrange your own placements, and do not leave it up to the placements team!!
The university are taking on way too many students, and so struggle to find placements for us all - many of us had no first placements right up until Christmas, just the odd day's experience. This makes it extremely difficult to get any teaching experience in at all, as you need about 6 weeks observation in a school before you can teach. Its not just Primary but lots on the Secondary routes have the same problem. I also know students from Durham University have faced the same issues.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I hate to sound negative - but I'm currently doing a PGCE with SThaunderland, and I would seriously arrange your own placements, and do not leave it up to the placements team!!
The university are taking on way too many students, and so struggle to find placements for us all - many of us had no first placements right up until Christmas, just the odd day's experience. This makes it extremely difficult to get any teaching experience in at all, as you need about 6 weeks observation in a school before you can teach. Its not just Primary but lots on the Secondary routes have the same problem. I also know students from Durham University have faced the same issues.

Thank you for letting me know! I was kind of planning on arranging my own placements anyway but coronavirus has put paid to that, don't really want to be bothering any heads or anything at the moment, even the ones I have good relationships with. Hopefully things will have calmed down by the summer!

I really hope everything is sorted for you now? Far from ideal having basically no placement time and then being pulled off placements!

And I'm shocked that Durham Uni is in the same boat!
Thank you for letting me know! I was kind of planning on arranging my own placements anyway but coronavirus has put paid to that, don't really want to be bothering any heads or anything at the moment, even the ones I have good relationships with. Hopefully things will have calmed down by the summer!

I really hope everything is sorted for you now? Far from ideal having basically no placement time and then being pulled off placements!

And I'm shocked that Durham Uni is in the same boat!

Hi,
yeah thanks - they're giving us additional assignments to complete to make sure that we have enough evidence for each Teaching Standard - and we've been told that most of us will still qualify. A bit daunting going into teaching in September with so little experience behind us, but we've been assured that all September's NQTs will have extra support.
And I appreciate what you're saying about not bothering Heads - but they probably have more time on their hands at the moment, no SATs to arrange etc.! If you have a school that you definitely want to go to, I'd drop them a quick email before somebody else does and gets the place!
Good Luck!

Hi there,

I have a Skype interview for this course next Friday and I just wondered how your application went?

Have you been in to do the extra tasks needed or have you done these again over Skype?

Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by Missnoble
Hi there,

I have a Skype interview for this course next Friday and I just wondered how your application went?

Have you been in to do the extra tasks needed or have you done these again over Skype?

Thanks!

I got an offer and I accepted it.

Nope, didn't have to do any extra tasks in person or over Skype- just a written task that was done during the interview. Literally went presentation (30 mins) > interview (20 mins) > written task (10 mins) > offer over Skype. So I found out like immediately that I had a place. Just note that this was back in March so things were quite different then; I have no idea what they're doing now!

Good luck! My interview was relatively painless, hope yours is too!
Original post by Missnoble
Hi there,

Thanks!

Best of luck with your Skype interview :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending