The Student Room Group

EPQ confusion

So I'm thinking of doing an EPQ, starting it in quarantine and it seemed a simple enough qualification at first but now I'm just baffled .
Loads of people mention a production log that I can't find?
Everyone seems to do a dissertation but I want to write a short story and don't know how to go about it in relation to an EPQ?
My school has never mentioned it before so I can't ask a teacher as many people apear to?
Can someone just give me some overall advice about how the prodject runs becaause I'm currently at a loss.
Reply 1
i’ve just completed my epq this year as a year 13. I wrote a 5000 page essay on whether abortion was morally right or wrong. then completed a 5-10 minute presentation infront of my centre coordinator, mentor & a few other students about how i completed my epq and why. The production log you should be given by your teacher when you start the epq process, it’s just a couple of pages full of questions reviewing how you’ve completed your epq, the pros & cons, etc. make sure if you’re referencing any sources that you write them down because you have to write the time and date you accessed them in a bibliography afterwards to avoid any plagiarism. hope this helps.
Original post by jd1202
i’ve just completed my epq this year as a year 13. I wrote a 5000 page essay on whether abortion was morally right or wrong. then completed a 5-10 minute presentation infront of my centre coordinator, mentor & a few other students about how i completed my epq and why. The production log you should be given by your teacher when you start the epq process, it’s just a couple of pages full of questions reviewing how you’ve completed your epq, the pros & cons, etc. make sure if you’re referencing any sources that you write them down because you have to write the time and date you accessed them in a bibliography afterwards to avoid any plagiarism. hope this helps.

any idea if there's anywhere online i could find the production log online because I don't have one atm
thanks so much :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jolene_jolene
any idea if there's anywhere online i could find the production log online because I don't have one atm
thanks so much :smile:

Do u know what exam board u are doing?? AQA?
Reply 4
If ur doing aqa

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/crf_pdf/AQA-7993-CRF-20.PDF

And just fill in the necessary bits. Some parts will be completed by ur EPQ supervisor
Original post by Kaz_xx
Do u know what exam board u are doing?? AQA?

Yeah i think so . Does your EPQ supervisor have to be through school?
p.s. thanks for record you're a lifesaver
Reply 6
yeah your supervisor/mentor is normally a teacher that you think would be best marking your project. i picked my english teacher due to her understanding how to set out an essay properly. if your topic is science related maybe pick a science teacher etc.
Original post by jd1202
yeah your supervisor/mentor is normally a teacher that you think would be best marking your project. i picked my english teacher due to her understanding how to set out an essay properly. if your topic is science related maybe pick a science teacher etc.

Oh okay , thanks
Original post by jd1202
i’ve just completed my epq this year as a year 13. I wrote a 5000 page essay on whether abortion was morally right or wrong. then completed a 5-10 minute presentation infront of my centre coordinator, mentor & a few other students about how i completed my epq and why. The production log you should be given by your teacher when you start the epq process, it’s just a couple of pages full of questions reviewing how you’ve completed your epq, the pros & cons, etc. make sure if you’re referencing any sources that you write them down because you have to write the time and date you accessed them in a bibliography afterwards to avoid any plagiarism. hope this help

Hi! I am writing my EPQ on the same topic as yours. I had a couple of questions:

1. Are you planning on doing medicine?
2. What grade are you expecting?
3. Did your teachers comment on if the topic is too overused?
4. Do you mind sharing your dissertation on PM? I know this makes it seem like I'll plagiarise but I just need to see an outline, and get an idea. My school has never done an EPQ before and I'm the only student going to be taking it. My teachers hadn't even heard of the qualification before so any help/exemplar is very much appreciated!

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by qwert7890
Hi! I am writing my EPQ on the same topic as yours. I had a couple of questions:

1. Are you planning on doing medicine?
2. What grade are you expecting?
3. Did your teachers comment on if the topic is too overused?
4. Do you mind sharing your dissertation on PM? I know this makes it seem like I'll plagiarise but I just need to see an outline, and get an idea. My school has never done an EPQ before and I'm the only student going to be taking it. My teachers hadn't even heard of the qualification before so any help/exemplar is very much appreciated!

Thank you so much :smile:

you can find many example essays online

eg. http://my.pershore.worcs.sch.uk/uploads/jk/EPQ%20Sample%202.pdf
http://my.pershore.worcs.sch.uk/uploads/jk/EPQ%20Sample%201.pdf

this may help with structure
https://lifemoreextraordinary.com/study-skills/how-to-write-an-epq-essay/
http://thinkstudent.co.uk/how-to-write-an-epq/

1. Introduction
(i find it easier to write at the end) introduce your question/essay. what is the aim of your project. what you plan to find out?.

2. Main essay
discuss all of the main points. remember to reference throughout. use the PEEL structure (point, explanation, evidence, link back to question)

3. Conclusion
summarise the most important points and come to a conclusion which answers/links back to your essay question.

4. Bibliography
The bibliography should include all the references for websites/books/resources/quotes you used to write your essay. you also need to write the date when your first accessed each source.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi I'm starting my EPQ project (I'm class of 2024), I'm not sure how EPQ ties in with my uni application.
Any tips?
Original post by Word_player
Hi I'm starting my EPQ project (I'm class of 2024), I'm not sure how EPQ ties in with my uni application.
Any tips?

If you do the EPQ in year 12 then it will be beneficial for uni applications. Depending on the uni, if you achieve a grade A (or above) you may recieve a lower offer from them when you apply in year 13 as you should have gotten your grade back by then. Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else :smile:
Original post by Word_player
Any tips?

Hi @Word_player

As @confusedlime said, a lot of unis (including a lot of courses at Lancaster) will give decreased offers if you achieve a certain grade in an EPQ. Completing an EPQ can also help support uni applications, as they are a great thing to talk about in your personal statement. If your EPQ topic is related to the courses you're applying for, this can not only demonstrate you're subject knowledge, but also your passion and curiosity for that field. Even if your topic isn't related to your subject, EPQs also help you develop key academic skills which are vital to studying at uni (Independent working, source analysis, academic writing, referencing, etc.).

Personally, I found that completing my EPQ (and knowing I was capable of writing 5000 words on one topic!) really helped boost my confidence when transitioning to university, as I knew I had a head start with some of the skills and knowledge of resources needed for my course (Google scholar is your best friend!).

Best of luck with your EPQ :smile:
Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending