The Student Room Group

Dr Challoner's grammar school sixth form

Have any external applicants heard whether they’ve received an offer of a place to start at dr Challoner’s grammar school sixth form (sept 20)? We’ve still not heard and we have to give notice to the old school soon.
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Hiya
I got a letter in the post this morning . It wasn’t an offer but I’ll let you read what Ive asked others.

Hi there I hope you or someone can help. I received a letter today from Dr Challoners 6th form, for sep 2020 entry. They said I need to upload my actual gcse grades when I receive them. They weren’t able to offer as I chose Maths A level and my prediction is 6 but needed 7. My point score met the criteria. I’m quite hopeful I’ll get 7 for maths but can someone tell me if they have been in the same boat as me and my likelihood of an offer. Any help will be much appreciated
Reply 2
Original post by Garcia124
Hiya
I got a letter in the post this morning . It wasn’t an offer but I’ll let you read what Ive asked others.

Hi there I hope you or someone can help. I received a letter today from Dr Challoners 6th form, for sep 2020 entry. They said I need to upload my actual gcse grades when I receive them. They weren’t able to offer as I chose Maths A level and my prediction is 6 but needed 7. My point score met the criteria. I’m quite hopeful I’ll get 7 for maths but can someone tell me if they have been in the same boat as me and my likelihood of an offer. Any help will be much appreciated

I don't understand why they'd ask you to upload your use results but not give you an offer. Did they offer you an alternative subject instead of maths?
Original post by Lawnut
I don't understand why they'd ask you to upload your use results but not give you an offer. Did they offer you an alternative subject instead of maths?

Hi there ...thanks for responding. Yes, they said there will be an option on their website for me to log into and upload my actual grades once I have them. They also said the subject I’ve chosen doesn’t meet the criteria. There was no option for me to choose another A level but I could question that.

It is only Maths I got a 6 in and I chose it for an A level so it must be the reason I didn’t get an offer. I just thought others in the past may also have had a similar situation and then got an offer. I’m sitting maths gcse in may with my school and hoping I’ll get a least a 7. I guess I’ll just have to wait... and not worry too much. Another colleague of mine received a rejection this morning but not the option to upload grades. If anyone has info Plse let me know, thank you .
Original post by Lawnut
Have any external applicants heard whether they’ve received an offer of a place to start at dr Challoner’s grammar school sixth form (sept 20)? We’ve still not heard and we have to give notice to the old school soon.
Thanks.

Hiya

Hi there ...thanks for responding. Yes, they said there will be an option on their website for me to log into and upload my actual grades once I have them. They also said the subject I’ve chosen doesn’t meet the criteria. There was no option for me to choose another A level but I could question that.

It is only Maths I got a 6 in and I chose it for an A level so it must be the reason I didn’t get an offer. I just thought others in the past may also have had a similar situation and then got an offer. I’m sitting maths gcse in may with my school and hoping I’ll get a least a 7. I guess I’ll just have to wait... and not worry too much. Another colleague of mine received a rejection this morning but not the option to upload grades. If anyone has info Plse let me know, thank you .

Original post by Lawnut

..,,and Lawnut I hope you were successful and received a yes letter,
i read this as le chatellier's principle sixth form
Reply 6
Garcia124 - Thank you. I did get an offer but I’m not doing sciences (which I know are popular) so that helped I think. Im sure if you get your maths gcse and upload your grades, there’s a good chance they’ll take you. Last year, they had spaces come August and asked people to apply post GCSE’s so you’ve got a super chance. As you said, it wasn’t a rejection so it’s positive. Really good luck to you. :wink:
Original post by Lawnut
Garcia124 - Thank you. I did get an offer but I’m not doing sciences (which I know are popular) so that helped I think. Im sure if you get your maths gcse and upload your grades, there’s a good chance they’ll take you. Last year, they had spaces come August and asked people to apply post GCSE’s so you’ve got a super chance. As you said, it wasn’t a rejection so it’s positive. Really good luck to you. :wink:

Thanks and congrats...really Well done. The ‘point system’ they go by is to obtain a minimum of 48’. Which is your top 8 grade numbers combined...mine is 59 which I’m assuming isn’t too bad. Do you know what the average is of others.
Original post by Alpha Slayer
i read this as le chatellier's principle sixth form

No the college in discussion is Dr Challoners, in Chesham.
Reply 9
Thanks and congrats...really Well done. The ‘point system’ they go by is to obtain a minimum of 48’. Which is your top 8 grade numbers combined...mine is 59 which I’m assuming isn’t too bad. Do you know what the average is of others.

My top 8 comes to 65. I don’t know anyone else going so have no idea but I guess there’ll be a range. Your grades are perfect as they’re well above the requirement.
Hiya

You'll need to get a 7 as they are very strict - all the other local GS also require a grade 7.
Original post by Lawnut
My top 8 comes to 65. I don’t know anyone else going so have no idea but I guess there’ll be a range. Your grades are perfect as they’re well above the requirement.

You do know they take the top scorers if too many reach the standard - read the over-subscription guidance.
Original post by hydrateH2O
My combined score was also 59 and I got rejected 😭 I’m not doing any subjects that were oversubscribed last year and I’m definitely in catchment of the school. I also have a sibling there. Very upset as i desperately didn’t want to go back to my own school and this was my only escape route.

Hi hydrate ..did Challoners invite you to go to their website and insert your actual grades on results day or was it short one paragraph letter saying no.
Hi hydrate ..did Challoners invite you to go to their website and insert your actual grades on results day or was it short one paragraph letter saying no.

Yes, they invited me to revisit their website on results day and enter my grades via a Google Form to be considered for “Round 2” applications. But I’ve heard that apparently not everyone had this option :confused:
Chesham grammar can be lenient and will accept a 6 if you want to take maths at A-Level. Might be worth ringing up on results day as they probably will have some spaces.

I'm a teacher - tell the OP! CGS will be desperate for students if they accept a grade 6!

I only got an 8 in my predicted grades for maths and need a 9 to take further maths at the school, which I want to do. However, they still let me take further maths, even though in my predicted I didn't get the grade. I got a conditional offer, I think they look at ur top 8 grades as a whole instead of specific subjects.
My combined score was also 59 and I got rejected 😭 I’m not doing any subjects that were oversubscribed last year and I’m definitely in catchment of the school. I also have a sibling there. Very upset as i desperately didn’t want to go back to my own school and this was my only escape route.

You needed a combined score of 68 in top 8 to even be considered. Some of my friends got 67 in their top 8 and didn't get in.
No, once you have got the initial offer you need 48 in top 8. Now I have the offer, it's really easy to actually get in as now I only need 48 in top 8 and need to reach my subject requirements. However, to get the initial offer they only pick the people with the best grades they have to be really selective.
Their policy said you only needed 48 points though which is very misleading if it is actually 68 points

If it helps, literally all the people I know that got in don't actually want to go so there will be lots of places free by results day
Original post by lucyw0993
If it helps, literally all the people I know that got in don't actually want to go so there will be lots of places free by results day

Actually, that’s quite reassuring but on the day, it will depend on subject choices and availability. Fingers crossed I’ll be considered, and thank you for your response.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending