The Student Room Group

psychoology and biology

rfgdgrgf
(edited 4 years ago)
I think it would be B, because both Starch and Glycogen have a similar structure of being long branched chains which would allow for easy conversion when you think about it. Option (A) sort of makes sense with the process of Glycogenesis taking place between Glucose and Glycogen, however humans are unable to digest cellulose, as with most herbivorous animals as the enzyme cellulase is required to digest cellulose. That's why cellulose is also known as fiber (as well as a few more plant compounds)! Fun little fact my A level bio teacher taught me, rabbits poo both hard and soft pellets, hard pellets being undigested cellulose (Fiber) and then they eat the soft pellets as they are more easily digested or something along those lines.
Reply 2
yghdt
(edited 4 years ago)
It's A
Reply 4
ty
(edited 4 years ago)
It's A. Tricky question.

Yes, herbivores (like us) lack cellulase; however, since their diet is mainly plant-based, they have developed a symbiotic relationship with cellulose-digesting bacteria that reside in their reticulorumen. These bacteria digest the cellulose for them into smaller absorbable sugars (like Glucose).

Then, just like what happens in humans - Glycogenesis occurs and glucose is converted to glycogen via a series of enzyme-dependent reactions which is then stored in reservoirs in the liver and muscle tissue.

Cellulose > Glucose > Glycogen (A)
Reply 6
ok
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nikita_0303
thank you sm :smile:

This thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending