The Student Room Group

Can I still add to my GCSE Fine Art (AQA) portfolio?

Because of coronavirus, obvs all exams have been cancelled. So, my art teacher says that we will be marked only using our portfolio, and that we should not add to it any more.

However, I have not found anywhere on the Ofqual or AQA websites saying that we cannot keep adding to it, and in any case, I have my portfolio at home with me, so they will never know if I add to it, surely?

How would they go about checking this, if it even is a thing?
Original post by ng849
Because of coronavirus, obvs all exams have been cancelled. So, my art teacher says that we will be marked only using our portfolio, and that we should not add to it any more.

However, I have not found anywhere on the Ofqual or AQA websites saying that we cannot keep adding to it, and in any case, I have my portfolio at home with me, so they will never know if I add to it, surely?

How would they go about checking this, if it even is a thing?

Your teacher can't look at new work as there's no way they will see it. You'll be graded on what they've already seen.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Your teacher can't look at new work as there's no way they will see it. You'll be graded on what they've already seen.

But surely that's a really unreliable method? Grading someone just based on what you happen to remember about the pieces of work that they happen to have shown you? Surely that can't be how they are marking. Our teacher hasn't seen my full portfolio, and in any case he isn't going to remember every single piece of work I have done. The marking is meant to be supported by evidence.

I suppose they could just take the results from Component 1 which has already been marked and just ignore the ESA, but that means they would only be marking 60% of the course! And also my teacher mentioned that we would be marked on the ESA also...
Original post by ng849
But surely that's a really unreliable method? Grading someone just based on what you happen to remember about the pieces of work that they happen to have shown you? Surely that can't be how they are marking. Our teacher hasn't seen my full portfolio, and in any case he isn't going to remember every single piece of work I have done. The marking is meant to be supported by evidence.

I suppose they could just take the results from Component 1 which has already been marked and just ignore the ESA, but that means they would only be marking 60% of the course! And also my teacher mentioned that we would be marked on the ESA also...

Haven't they seen your work at school in February and early March and made notes on it? They must keep some sort of record. There's no way any further work will count.
Haven't they seen your work at school in February and early March and made notes on it? They must keep some sort of record. There's no way any further work will count.

CIE (International GCSEs and A levels) is marking in a completely different way. Teachers aren't giving a grade. The school has to send evidence of any suitable work (topical tests, partial syllabus mocks etc.) to the board. The evidence has to be sent at the end of June so the schools are still technically allowed to get more work done, perhaps online exams or something, (although they have been clearly told the board doesn't expect them to). CIE will then guage the difficulty of the work sent and award an appropriate grade. I'm not sure how efficient it will be but it seems fairer. Also in complete contrast to what Ofqual has said CIE will apparently give the benefit of the doubt to students, given that most students tend to perform better on external exams than school exams.
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
CIE (International GCSEs and A levels) is marking in a completely different way. Teachers aren't giving a grade. The school has to send evidence of any suitable work (topical tests, partial syllabus mocks etc.) to the board. The evidence has to be sent at the end of June so the schools are still technically allowed to get more work done, perhaps online exams or something, (although they have been clearly told the board doesn't expect them to). CIE will then guage the difficulty of the work sent and award an appropriate grade. I'm not sure how efficient it will be but it seems fairer. Also in complete contrast to what Ofqual has said CIE will apparently give the benefit of the doubt to students, given that most students tend to perform better on external exams than school exams.

This poster is doing AQA not CIE - I don't think getting students to do tests or additional work now is fair as many will cheat.
Reply 6

The only recorded evidence is what they marked for the mock exams: Component 1. That is 60% of the syllabus.
Original post by ng849
The only recorded evidence is what they marked for the mock exams: Component 1. That is 60% of the syllabus.

Don't you have to show your teacher your work every week? That's what students do where I teach [not Art!].
Reply 8
Don't you have to show your teacher your work every week? That's what students do where I teach [not Art!].

Yes, but he doesn't formally mark it. He'll just give advice/comments. Like he'll say roughly what grade the piece is at, and how you can improve it. And you just show him work whenever you choose to. He only marks the stuff when you give him your complete portfolio. Also, he won't remember every piece you have shown him, obviously, because he hasn't written down any marks/grade/whatever
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ng849
Yes, but he doesn't formally mark it. He'll just give advice/comments. Like he'll say roughly what grade the piece is at, and how you can improve it. And you just show him work whenever you choose to. He only marks the stuff when you give him your complete portfolio. Also, he won't remember every piece you have shown him, obviously, because he hasn't written down any marks/grade/whatever

Are you sure he doesn't record ongoing work? When Maths had coursework I used to keep a record of conversations ect - students probably didn't know but it was to keep a check on progress and for authentication.
Reply 10
Are you sure he doesn't record ongoing work? When Maths had coursework I used to keep a record of conversations ect - students probably didn't know but it was to keep a check on progress and for authentication.

I guess he might. But honestly, I doubt it. He's not really that kind of teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest