The Student Room Group

Is it possible to have a year abroad and a year in industry during university?

Hello,

I know that this is a very generalised question as every university is different and offers courses either

Bachelors with year in industry
Bachelors with year abroad etc

I was wondering if it is possible to do a course with a year in industry and also spend a year abroad at another university?

Perhaps this year abroad would only be for a semester or so but I was wondering if anybody with any experience could explain this to me.
Could you not to the year in industry abroad? That’s what I did. I wanted to do a year abroad in America but I also wanted to do a year in industry. So I did a year long internship at a law firm in America. I’d suggest doing something similar? I emailed my year in industry convenor and asked her and gave her a good reason why she should let me.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Could you not to the year in industry abroad? That’s what I did. I wanted to do a year abroad in America but I also wanted to do a year in industry. So I did a year long internship at a law firm in America. I’d suggest doing something similar? I emailed my year in industry convenor and asked her and gave her a good reason why she should let me.

That's a really good idea; I'm assuming from what you are saying then is that universities usually want you to do placements in the UK?
Original post by togs11
That's a really good idea; I'm assuming from what you are saying then is that universities usually want you to do placements in the UK?

Well mine did yes - they expected us to do a placement in the UK. I’m not sure that your uni is the same, but if it is then I would just ask them and explain why it’s going to be valuable to you
Reply 4
Well mine did yes - they expected us to do a placement in the UK. I’m not sure that your uni is the same, but if it is then I would just ask them and explain why it’s going to be valuable to you

Right that is great, Thank you for the advice :smile:
Reply 5
Hi would love to get any replies!
Is it possible to exchange a year abroad for a placement year in a law with french llb course? I am already fluent and my mother tongue is french etc
I can't see why not! A year in industry is usually sandwiched in between 2nd and 3rd year, and you can usually go abroad for a semester (but sometimes a full year) in 2nd year. The only thing is it might be harder to secure a placement when you're not at your home university, since they'll usually help you look for one :smile:
I did an exchange semester at a Canadian uni and looking back it was the best months of my life. But that said one semester was enough for me. Doing a whole year would be like going on a 2 week holiday for a month.
Reply 8

hi! I just saw this and am hoping you will reply haha. I am interested in doing a semester in the USA and a semester doing a placement but I saw you did a placement in the USA which is so interesting! how difficult did you find the application process and securing this internship? thanks! c

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending