The Student Room Group

AUB vs Westminster University? (Film production)

So I was very lucky to get offers from my 5 choices, but I still can't decide mostly between two of them. I'm interested in a film course where I can improve myself as a filmmaker, while making my own projects (shortfilms) there. I was wondering what uni seems better for this because, from what i've seen, AUB and Westminster are the best for this field in the UK, but I couldn't find reviews about their courses...

I'm from Spain, so I'm not really aware about their prestige.

So, what course would be better?
Film production - Arts University Bournemouth
or
Film BA - Westminster University

Thanks!
Original post by abrahamsbarrie
So I was very lucky to get offers from my 5 choices, but I still can't decide mostly between two of them. I'm interested in a film course where I can improve myself as a filmmaker, while making my own projects (shortfilms) there. I was wondering what uni seems better for this because, from what i've seen, AUB and Westminster are the best for this field in the UK, but I couldn't find reviews about their courses...

I'm from Spain, so I'm not really aware about their prestige.

So, what course would be better?
Film production - Arts University Bournemouth
or
Film BA - Westminster University

Thanks!

I am literally in the same boat as you! Confused between Westminster and AUB. :/
Over the past couple of weeks I've been trying to research more about both and here's what I've learnt so far:

AUB is almost fully focused on the technical and production side of Film.
Westminster is almost 70% practical and 30% theory. I personally prefer this combination.

AUB has great departments for costume etc so it might be easier to find collaborators while working on your films.

Westminster is near London so you'll have a lot more opportunities for networking/internships in the centre of the Film Industry.
But, Bournemouth is beautiful and it's close to the sea, so if you're a beach baby...

According to UNI stats, Students at Westminster are more satisfied with their course and from what I've heard, some students at AUB feel like the course is a little slow.

The production quality of all the AUB Graduation Films that I've watched so far is amazing and their Admissions team also seems more well organised. Their graduation films are easily accessible on Youtube.
With Westminster, you have to really dig through Vimeo to find their Graduation films but when I got lucky, I really loved all of their films. Westminster students and films also seem to be more popular in the festival circuit. A guy won the Student Oscar in 2012.

This is what I've discovered so far but I am still hunting for more reviews from some current students. :smile:
Original post by ishathorat
I am literally in the same boat as you! Confused between Westminster and AUB. :/
Over the past couple of weeks I've been trying to research more about both and here's what I've learnt so far:

AUB is almost fully focused on the technical and production side of Film.
Westminster is almost 70% practical and 30% theory. I personally prefer this combination.

AUB has great departments for costume etc so it might be easier to find collaborators while working on your films.

Westminster is near London so you'll have a lot more opportunities for networking/internships in the centre of the Film Industry.
But, Bournemouth is beautiful and it's close to the sea, so if you're a beach baby...

According to UNI stats, Students at Westminster are more satisfied with their course and from what I've heard, some students at AUB feel like the course is a little slow.

The production quality of all the AUB Graduation Films that I've watched so far is amazing and their Admissions team also seems more well organised. Their graduation films are easily accessible on Youtube.
With Westminster, you have to really dig through Vimeo to find their Graduation films but when I got lucky, I really loved all of their films. Westminster students and films also seem to be more popular in the festival circuit. A guy won the Student Oscar in 2012.

This is what I've discovered so far but I am still hunting for more reviews from some current students. :smile:

Wow, thank you! I felt a little lost in this search, I'm glad to find someone who is in the same fix :smile:

Yes, I heard that the course in Bournemouth it's almost 100% practical and Westminster has some theories classes.
Personally, I'm really interested in screenwriting and directing, so one of my main objectives is to direct -hopefully- my own graduation project, and I heard that Westminster doesn't always give you a chance to do it, even if you choose to specialize in direction.

On the other hand, it's true that a little bit of theory classes are necessary... (+ the best networking/internships are in London),
but Bournemouth sounds good to me because what you've said about the artistic community, where you can collaborate easily with other departments and also, I read that students often have placements in Pinewood Studios, which is quite interesting.

Also in relation to Westminster, to find a place to live there would cost me an arm and a leg; but then, there's the Uni stats, and all the successful people that have studied at the university, which increase my dilemma...

Really? I hadn't heard about that Oscar!
If you don't mind, could you send me some Vimeo links to Westminster's graduation films please? I can't find almost anything of them... :/

Anyway, keep in touch, maybe we end up in the same place! :smile:
Here's a link to their Graduate Showcase. They have added each year's graduation films except those of 2018 and 2019, maybe those ones are still floating around the festival circuit?

http://www.westminsterfilmschool.com/showcases.html

I am curious about not being able to direct your own graduation project at Westminster though. Has that truly happened before? If yes, did they justify/explain it in any way? I ask because I had not heard of this before and even I would like to direct my own graduation project since directing would be one of my foremost interests during the course.
Here's a link to their Graduate Showcase. They have added each year's graduation films except those of 2018 and 2019, maybe those ones are still floating around the festival circuit?

http://www.westminsterfilmschool.com/showcases.html

I am curious about not being able to direct your own graduation project at Westminster though. Has that truly happened before? If yes, did they justify/explain it in any way? I ask because I had not heard of this before and even I would like to direct my own graduation project since directing would be one of my foremost interests during the course.

Thanks! :smile:

I'm not really sure about it, but I read it a few times on this forum. This is what I found in the programme specifications:

"Pitching for roles on productions is an important part of the students’ experience, both
in terms of pitching and responding to the pitches of others. This is the way that the crews are
put together for 3rd year films"

So I guess that -somehow- you have to 'compete' for the role? From what I've seen, at AUB it's almost the same: they make just 10 films, so they pick 10 directors. Anyway, if I find anything else i will let you know.

Btw, have you found any more information/reviews (or decided) ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Nooooo not yet! Have you decided?
(edited 4 years ago)
Nooooo not yet! Have you decided?

Nop, me neither! :|
Reply 7
Hey guys! Same problem here. Can’t decide which uni is better, AUB or Westminster. AUB is very artsy, has TEF Gold, the community is very nice, but Westminster is in London, I heard it’s a good course, and maybe there are more opportunities there. Have you decided? Let me know! Oh and are there any Westminster group chats? Can’t find anything. Thanks!
Original post by mc28
Hey guys! Same problem here. Can’t decide which uni is better, AUB or Westminster. AUB is very artsy, has TEF Gold, the community is very nice, but Westminster is in London, I heard it’s a good course, and maybe there are more opportunities there. Have you decided? Let me know! Oh and are there any Westminster group chats? Can’t find anything. Thanks!

Hey! We have a group on Facebook Messenger. :smile: You can DM me with your name if you’d like to be added.
Hi guys,
I am in the same situation as you.
What did you pick in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending