The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josh burns
I'm still unsure between medicine and economics like I like the idea of both but I dont know what pays better and where I'll get a better job

Please, please do not pick your degree off what pays better. Both Medicine and Economics degrees have fantastic prospects and lead to well paying jobs, however, if you do not enjoy the degree you will struggle to do well and reap those rewards. Both degrees very, very demanding and you will need genuine enthusiasm and dedication to do well in either.

You should decide which degree (whether out of these two or different degrees entirely) suits your skill set and interests most, taking into account and entry requirements. For example, Medicine requires Chemistry A Level, and lots of Economics degrees require Maths A Level.

The way to get a good job that pays well, is by doing a degree you enjoy and that you are good at, and then being proactive in terms of boosting your CV e.g. through internships or work experience. Both Medicine and Economics are great degrees for career prospects and pay, but they are both incredibly demanding and you will need to work very hard to get near the top. Ultimately, most sectors will have job opportunities and good pay near the top, so if you’re willing to work hard and put time and effort in, your career prospects and pay will be limited less by the career/sector you choose, and more by your own work ethic, motivation, commitment and love of your degree; those are the factors that will really determine your success.

Good luck, and I hope you pick the right degree for you that you’ll enjoy and do well at, whether that’s Medicine, Economics or something else entirely :smile:
I agree with @Mona123456’s advice. Moreover, medicine especially has a really grueling application process and course of study. It’s really difficult and requires a lot of dedication. The standard advice is ‘if you’re considering medicine or something else, do something else’
Reply 3
Original post by Mona123456
Please, please do not pick your degree off what pays better. Both Medicine and Economics degrees have fantastic prospects and lead to well paying jobs, however, if you do not enjoy the degree you will struggle to do well and reap those rewards. Both degrees very, very demanding and you will need genuine enthusiasm and dedication to do well in either.

You should decide which degree (whether out of these two or different degrees entirely) suits your skill set and interests most, taking into account and entry requirements. For example, Medicine requires Chemistry A Level, and lots of Economics degrees require Maths A Level.

The way to get a good job that pays well, is by doing a degree you enjoy and that you are good at, and then being proactive in terms of boosting your CV e.g. through internships or work experience. Both Medicine and Economics are great degrees for career prospects and pay, but they are both incredibly demanding and you will need to work very hard to get near the top. Ultimately, most sectors will have job opportunities and good pay near the top, so if you’re willing to work hard and put time and effort in, your career prospects and pay will be limited less by the career/sector you choose, and more by your own work ethic, motivation, commitment and love of your degree; those are the factors that will really determine your success.

Good luck, and I hope you pick the right degree for you that you’ll enjoy and do well at, whether that’s Medicine, Economics or something else entirely :smile:

Thank you soo much.

The thing about economics I want to do it but I cant get into the best universities due to my a level choices and now its too late to restart.
So i'm not sure if going to a low university will help me get jobs
Reply 4
Original post by SkyRunner61
I agree with @Mona123456’s advice. Moreover, medicine especially has a really grueling application process and course of study. It’s really difficult and requires a lot of dedication. The standard advice is ‘if you’re considering medicine or something else, do something else’

Ye you have to be 100% committed to medicine if your doing it
Thank you soo much.

The thing about economics I want to do it but I cant get into the best universities due to my a level choices and now its too late to restart.
So i'm not sure if going to a low university will help me get jobs

You can maximise your chances by building up a strong CV, getting experience and networking whilst you're studying the degree.
Reply 6
I'm still unsure between medicine and economics like I like the idea of both but I dont know what pays better and where I'll get a better job

I'm very biased here (as someone hoping to apply for LSE economics interested in investment banking), but I will try my hardest not to let my bias interfere too much here. I'm also not going to give you too much advice, as the decision is ultimately your own. Research your options, and know what's coming your way for whichever one you choose, this is your responsibility. In order to be competitive, you also need to not only be committed and at least mildly like the subject, but actually good at the subject you choose (as you said especially medicine). Also, lots of people who just want to get a good career out of a subject get impatient with the basics, so make sure this is not you by choosing a subject you like and are able to study, as well as wanting a good career out of.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply 7

As others have said, do not pick your degree out of which pays better.

The general rule is, if you're debating between medicine and something else, do the something else. Medicine requires 100% commitment and if you can't give that, ultimately it will be almost impossible to have a successful application (let alone enjoy med school and working life).

Hope this helps and all the best x
Reply 8
Original post by Zoqua
I'm very biased here (as someone hoping to apply for LSE economics interested in investment banking), but I will try my hardest not to let my bias interfere too much here. I'm also not going to give you too much advice, as the decision is ultimately your own. Research your options, and know what's coming your way for whichever one you choose, this is your responsibility. In order to be competitive, you also need to not only be committed and at least mildly like the subject, but actually good at the subject you choose (as you said especially medicine). Also, lots of people who just want to get a good career out of a subject get impatient with the basics, so make sure this is not you by choosing a subject you like and are able to study, as well as wanting a good career out of.

Good luck with your decision.

I was also very interested in applying to lse to do economics but a lot of people said that you need furthur maths to get in or its a very slim chance and I dont have furthur maths
Reply 9
Original post by 123vet
As others have said, do not pick your degree out of which pays better.

The general rule is, if you're debating between medicine and something else, do the something else. Medicine requires 100% commitment and if you can't give that, ultimately it will be almost impossible to have a successful application (let alone enjoy med school and working life).

Hope this helps and all the best x

Thank youuu
Reply 10
I was also very interested in applying to lse to do economics but a lot of people said that you need furthur maths to get in or its a very slim chance and I dont have furthur maths

What A levels do you take? I take A level Maths, Further Maths, Economics & Physics with EPQ (AS). If your school didn't have further maths then they account for that - if you didn't take further maths but had the option then yes that is a problem.
Original post by Zoqua
What A levels do you take? I take A level Maths, Further Maths, Economics & Physics with EPQ (AS). If your school didn't have further maths then they account for that - if you didn't take further maths but had the option then yes that is a problem.

I do maths bio chem. And yes I did have the option but i didnt take it. This was because i werent going to do econommics but then changed my mind later
Reply 12
I do maths bio chem. And yes I did have the option but i didnt take it. This was because i werent going to do econommics but then changed my mind later

That will be fine for many universities. Some might say they prefer at least one essay-based subject but you're still far more likely to get offers than with medicine.
Original post by Sinnoh
That will be fine for many universities. Some might say they prefer at least one essay-based subject but you're still far more likely to get offers than with medicine.

What about unis like lse or oxbridge
Reply 14
What about unis like lse or oxbridge

further maths is like an unofficial requirement for LSE economics but I don't know about Oxford or Cambridge
Reply 15

That's a very medicine combination but you do what you want :smile:
Original post by Sinnoh
further maths is like an unofficial requirement for LSE economics but I don't know about Oxford or Cambridge

so do i have no chance of getting in
Original post by Zoqua
That's a very medicine combination but you do what you want :smile:

ahahaha I chose it as at the start i wanted to do medicine
Reply 18
so do i have no chance of getting in

It's not for me to guarantee but LSE's economics course is very mathematical and students there who took further maths still struggle.
For Cambridge Further Maths is an implicit requirement, for Oxford less so but many (if not most) applicants still have Further Maths A Level. If you did really want to apply to Oxbridge, your chances based purely off A Levels may be a little higher if you want for Oxford. However, both Oxbridge Economics courses are notoriously competitive.

Lots of other good Unis won’t be so strict about Further Maths; Nottingham, Bath, Leeds, Manchester, Durham and similar Unis are all great for Economics. Getting a first from any of these Unis, as well as lots of work experience, networking and social skills, will stand you in good stead to enter the job market.

Good luck! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending