The Student Room Group

Weight loss for teenagers

Have any of you lost weight and do you have any tips for what workouts you could do and what foods to eat as a 16 year old? I would really appreciate any advice.

Scroll to see replies

hiim 17 and last year did slimming world for 3 months. I lost 1 stone but then over GCSE's I put it all back on which is expected. slimming world is great because you can still have bread and dairy and stuff just in moderation. its also good becuase you go to a group and get a book with loads of tips and stuff. also getting excersise is really important. the people who ran or swam or went to the gym were alsways better than those who didnt. hope that helped at all.
Do you actually need to lose weight?
Unless you are overweight then you don't need to

But if you do then it is like 80% diet. Cut out unhealthy foods and takeaways and fast food. Eat healthy and smaller portions
Original post by IkathleenI
Have any of you lost weight and do you have any tips for what workouts you could do and what foods to eat as a 16 year old? I would really appreciate any advice.

Depends on your starting weight if you dont might sharing it. if not I’m not sure I want to help, for health reasons.
Original post by AzureCeleste

But if you do then it is like 80% diet. Cut out unhealthy foods and takeaways and fast food. Eat healthy and smaller portions

exercise is super important as well though. you can eat super healthy but if you dont do cardio you wont burn fat as quickly
Reply 5

In my personal opinion I do feel like I need to lose weight. My diet isn’t the worst but it’s not the best, I just want to feel healthier. Thanks for the tips.
Original post by lxcyuni21
hiim 17 and last year did slimming world for 3 months. I lost 1 stone but then over GCSE's I put it all back on which is expected. slimming world is great because you can still have bread and dairy and stuff just in moderation. its also good becuase you go to a group and get a book with loads of tips and stuff. also getting excersise is really important. the people who ran or swam or went to the gym were alsways better than those who didnt. hope that helped at all.

yes im replying to my own post but just wanted to add that i did the junior one which is aimed at overweight teens which i was not the adult one so it wasnt a diet more of a lifestyle change
Reply 7

Yeah it did. Thanks for the tips.
(edited 3 years ago)
exercise is super important as well though. you can eat super healthy but if you dont do cardio you wont burn fat as quickly

Comparatively it is not that important. It plays a role but you drop weight a lot faster but improving diet than by improving exercise, hence the reason I said 80% diet. The remaining 20% is exercise

Exercise and calorie deficit
Comparatively it is not that important. It plays a role but you drop weight a lot faster but improving diet than by improving exercise, hence the reason I said 80% diet. The remaining 20% is exercise

I get what you're saying but its probably more 60/40. in my experiences anyway
In my personal opinion I do feel like I need to lose weight. My diet isn’t the worst but it’s not the best, I just want to feel healthier. Thanks for the tips.

To feel healthier, eat healthier food. Less chocolate and biscuits, less grease, more fruit and veg and good protein. Also drink 2 litres water a day etc.
Check if your BMI is in the right range. It may be just improving diet that is needed and that you don't need to lose weight.
Do the no s diet!
No seconds
No sweets
No snacks ( if you desperately need a snack have some nuts. But not salted or roasted or flavoured)
Original post by EBH2006
Do the no s diet!
No seconds
No sweets
No snacks ( if you desperately need a snack have some nuts. But not salted or roasted or flavoured)

can you have fruit as a snack? or like carrot sticks?
I get what you're saying but its probably more 60/40. in my experiences anyway

google it and you will see from countless studies done it is more 75/80 to about 25/20
can you have fruit as a snack? or like carrot sticks?

Definitely! Sounds quite delicious actually
Original post by Greywolftwo
Exercise and calorie deficit

Could you suggest what foods to eat that aren’t as high in calories but are good for you?
If you don't have nuts then yes but they do have sugar in them too you know stop its best to avoid them or have them as part of your meal. Like on your cereal or something... x
To feel healthier, eat healthier food. Less chocolate and biscuits, less grease, more fruit and veg and good protein. Also drink 2 litres water a day etc.
Check if your BMI is in the right range. It may be just improving diet that is needed and that you don't need to lose weight.

It’s always been the diet I struggle with. I’ve looked online for healthy meal ideas but some don’t appeal to me so could you possibly give some ideas? I already drink 2 litres per day because I really enjoy water. I think I definitely need to lose weight and overall it would improve my self image.
It’s always been the diet I struggle with. I’ve looked online for healthy meal ideas but some don’t appeal to me so could you possibly give some ideas? I already drink 2 litres per day because I really enjoy water. I think I definitely need to lose weight and overall it would improve my self image.

2-minute rice with chicken or basically any protein or veggie - great for school just take a pot and mix it all up if you have access to a microwave. if not ask your fave teacher (have to microwave the rice if you want it hot) . any soups, super filling. if you are going to have bread have brown bread.only use a little bit of cheese. for breakfasts search overnight oats. such a lifesaver in the morning or pre-prepare smoothie mixes. or fat free greek yogurt and berries. my fave is lemon greek yogurt with raspberries - makes a great dessert as well as breakfast. also pro-tip if you are bad for buying junk either on the way to or at school stop taking money with you and delete any type of virtual cards like apple pay off your phone.

Quick Reply

Latest