The Student Room Group

What design is my study?

Hi there,

I am writing my methods section for a report. I have come to the design section and cannot work out what design my study is.

The study was looking at alcohol use and reaction times - I used an independent samples t-test to analyse the data as there were two independent groups (more frequent drinkers and less frequent drinkers).

I'm just not sure whether it was an experimental or correlation design, or neither or something else? I know it's a test of difference but just not which design type.

With thanks.
:smile:
Reply 1
What exactly was your procedure? This would help me understand>
Original post by NMCMcL
What exactly was your procedure? This would help me understand>

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have actually sorted it now and the answer was a between groups design. However I am now not sure which type of graph to use, eg. bar chart, box plot etc. It was an independent groups t-test so there are two different sets of participants. On SPSS I cannot seem to find a bar graph with both groups on it.

If it helps the procedure was to complete a questionnaire and then do a computer based task that measured reaction times.

thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by strawberrypip
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have actually sorted it now and the answer was a between groups design. However I am now not sure which type of graph to use, eg. bar chart, box plot etc. It was an independent groups t-test so there are two different sets of participants. On SPSS I cannot seem to find a bar graph with both groups on it.

If it helps the procedure was to complete a questionnaire and then do a computer based task that measured reaction times.

thank you :smile:

hmm...
as a general rule, if it's numbers against numbers I do line graph and if it's numbers against a definite variable then bar graph. Pie chart for proportions. Hope that's a bit of use.
Original post by JayTutor01
You still need help?

Im sorted now, but thank you :smile:
Original post by NMCMcL
hmm...
as a general rule, if it's numbers against numbers I do line graph and if it's numbers against a definite variable then bar graph. Pie chart for proportions. Hope that's a bit of use.

that's great - thank you so much for your help. I ended up managing to do a bar graph in SPSS and I think that's sorted it. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by strawberrypip
that's great - thank you so much for your help. I ended up managing to do a bar graph in SPSS and I think that's sorted it. Thanks again :smile:

no problem, hope it goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending