The Student Room Group

geography a level edexcel

can anyone please help me with my a level geography mock paper, its paper 2 and i have spent 4 days crying at it. its the 2019 exam
Reply 1
Original post by epb2002
can anyone please help me with my a level geography mock paper, its paper 2 and i have spent 4 days crying at it. its the 2019 exam

Hi,
I'm in year 13 and do Alevel Geography, so I'd be happy to help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ab.c
Hi,
I'm in year 13 and do Alevel Geography, so I'd be happy to help :smile:

omg thank you so much- i am year 13 too im just very thick at the moment haha.

the ones i am struggling with the most are
- Assess the methods used in local communities to reduce the impact of globalisation on the environment.
-Evaluate the reasons why some places appear to be more desirable than others
-Assess the reasons why the growing resource needs of superpowers and emerging countries result in tensions
Reply 3
Original post by epb2002
omg thank you so much- i am year 13 too im just very thick at the moment haha.

the ones i am struggling with the most are
- Assess the methods used in local communities to reduce the impact of globalisation on the environment.
-Evaluate the reasons why some places appear to be more desirable than others
-Assess the reasons why the growing resource needs of superpowers and emerging countries result in tensions

I'll try my best as I think we may be on different exam boards so the content is slightly different. Are you on Edexcel and could you also tell me how many marks the three questions are worth just so I know how much detail and evaluation you need?
Reply 4
yes on edexcel and ...
1st one is 12
2nd one is 20
3rd is 12
thank u xx
Reply 5
Original post by epb2002
yes on edexcel and ...
1st one is 12
2nd one is 20
3rd is 12
thank u xx

My exam board was AQA, so I haven't studied some of the topics in your questions. However, I'll have a look at their spec tomorrow and try my best to help x
Reply 6
Original post by epb2002
yes on edexcel and ...
1st one is 12
2nd one is 20
3rd is 12
thank u xx

Same I’ll respond to you tomorrow and give you some ideas, I’m sure you know the structure of the questions :wink:
Reply 7
ive managed to do the second one!!
Reply 8
Original post by epb2002
ive managed to do the second one!!

Okay so the first and third one?
Reply 9
Original post by Deggs_14
Okay so the first and third one?

Yeah im trying to do those ones now but a bit stuck
Reply 10
Original post by epb2002
Yeah im trying to do those ones now but a bit stuck

Okay for the first one gave you heard of the NIMBY movement? This is aimed at stopping migration or manufacturing industry locating near where they live. This stops manufacturing and environmental exploitation in their local area. You could talk about rebranding efforts to move into a “post-industrial” society, such as Birmingham, which is very different today to how it was in the 19th century. There are also campaigns, the extinction rebellion and protest groups who try to stop or interfere with outsourcing of big businesses. And other ideas are tree planting to occupy the land that factories could be on. Other examples are the UN REDD scheme in the Brazilian Amazon to protect the rights of indigenous tribes against deforestation and intensive agriculture, by allowing the tribes to own the land, and the selling of carbon credits.

Start in your intro by mentioning the link between globalisation / internationalisation and environmental degradation, as lots of the points are based upon this principle. And try to mention some examples/ case studies.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
In the third question, you should mention in your introduction the idea of “the clash of civilisations” by Samuel Huntington in 1993. In an increasingly globalised and interconnected world, any place is of interest to superpower nations. Most of the resources to fuel tertiary and quarternary economies are built upon older industrial societies. As a result, the resources we use to fuel our economies are finite resources. The world is slowly changing to renewable and reusable energies, but the rate of progress of this is too slow to account for the rapid depletion of fossil fuels, which still male up 88% of global energy consumption. It is inevitable that as these finite resources dwindle, it will inevitably lead to tensions on the international stage, and then conflict. This could be trade conflict, such as between the US and China in a trade war, or conflict over oil between Iran and Iraq in the Middle East. Try and mention some examples of conflicts, and if you know any political science theory that could be interesting to integrate as well.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending