The Student Room Group

Weight loss for teenagers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lxcyuni21
2-minute rice with chicken or basically any protein or veggie - great for school just take a pot and mix it all up if you have access to a microwave. if not ask your fave teacher (have to microwave the rice if you want it hot) . any soups, super filling. if you are going to have bread have brown bread.only use a little bit of cheese. for breakfasts search overnight oats. such a lifesaver in the morning or pre-prepare smoothie mixes. or fat free greek yogurt and berries. my fave is lemon greek yogurt with raspberries - makes a great dessert as well as breakfast. also pro-tip if you are bad for buying junk either on the way to or at school stop taking money with you and delete any type of virtual cards like apple pay off your phone.

Okay thanks for the tips! I appreciate it.
Original post by IkathleenI
It’s always been the diet I struggle with. I’ve looked online for healthy meal ideas but some don’t appeal to me so could you possibly give some ideas? I already drink 2 litres per day because I really enjoy water. I think I definitely need to lose weight and overall it would improve my self image.

Eat food that fills you up and slow releases energy
In the morning something like porridge or oats are good
Lunch- maybe salads with chicken or a simple sandwich with some fruit on the side
Dinner- honestly anything with plenty of veg, if its homemade it is virtually automatically better for you then anything you get out. Just portion control as well
Hey it's great you're trying to loose weight! It was a huge insecurity for me until my aunt bought me a plan with some people a few months back for my 17th and it worked miracles. I'm supper happy now and honestly it makes me feel so much better. If you're interested I could give you a link and you can try it out? I hope you're doing good and keep at it with the weight loss.
Original post by Chris S 16
Hey it's great you're trying to loose weight! It was a huge insecurity for me until my aunt bought me a plan with some people a few months back for my 17th and it worked miracles. I'm supper happy now and honestly it makes me feel so much better. If you're interested I could give you a link and you can try it out? I hope you're doing good and keep at it with the weight loss.

Yes I’d really appreciate if you sent the link!
Thank you
Original post by IkathleenI
Yes I’d really appreciate if you sent the link!
Thank you

Are you in the UK?
Original post by Chris S 16
Are you in the UK?

Yeah I am
Hi! I'm an obsessed teen so PREPARE FOR MANY WORDS!

1) It's about Calories In vs Calories Out. If you eat a meal worth 4,000kcal then YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT! Chances are you need about 2,000 calories daily. You get slim in the kitchen but fit in the gym. Naturally skinny people just don't eat enough food to put on weight. Some barely even exercise and just eat Macdonalds [or whatever the stereotype is] but since they're only eating 2,000kcal they're slim [but not healthy[.

However, if you eat one meal worth 1,900 then you will probably lose (assuming you're overweight meaning that you're eating over 2,500kcal w/o adequate exercise)

2) Btw, please don't eat unhealthily. Junk foods are biochemically designed to addict us because we've evolved to crave fatty. salty and sugary foods [since in hunter-gatherer times, calories and sodium (chloride) were scarce and sugar/fat indicated high-calorie foods. This is why so many of us are fat [and even many "naturally skinny" people are only just eating junk food within their caloric requirements rather than actually eating healthily]. We're all a little addicted to that junk!

If you're going to eat unhealthily then only eat a small amount [like a 100-200kcal snack daily] and focus on healthy sources of carbs [potato, brown/wholemeal grains], fat [oily fish, nuts/seeds eggs], protein [beans, lean meat, and fish] and fruits and veggies.

I don't like many veggies so I try to eat the ones I DO like. I hate carrots, pak choi tomato [i know it;s a fruit but I find it in the veg section chill y'all] and parsnips so I try to eat pumpkin, spinach, sweetcorn, and cauliflower instead.

3) Also, try not to eat too little [especially if you're female. You don;t wanna stop your periods and risk osteoporosis]. Aim for 1,800 to 2,200 kcal daily [or 12,600-15,400 weekly] rather than depriving yourself with only 1,500kcal a day. You'll only freak out your body and put it on Starvation Mode [think "AHHH WE'RE GONNA DIE! SLOW METABOLISM AND LOWER IMMUNE SYSTEM COMPETENCY! AHHHHHHHH!"]

4) Lastly, PLEASE DON'T FOLLOW THOSE INSTA MODELS! They often promote expensive foods and smoothies or unusual diets/lifestyles while claiming "detox" and "cleansing" properties when in reality, you are already detoxing so long as you have AT LEAST ONE kidney, a pair of lungs and a colon. These models are only selling their GOOD GENES as weird diuretic/laxative-laden products or exotic fruits as if THOSE ware ere why their skin is so perfect and why their torsos are so long and curvy. If your blood really needed detoxing, you'd be in the hospital with septicemia or be on dialysis.

I hope this helped :smile:
Original post by cirrostratus
Hi! I'm an obsessed teen so PREPARE FOR MANY WORDS!

1) It's about Calories In vs Calories Out. If you eat a meal worth 4,000kcal then YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT! Chances are you need about 2,000 calories daily. You get slim in the kitchen but fit in the gym. Naturally skinny people just don't eat enough food to put on weight. Some barely even exercise and just eat Macdonalds [or whatever the stereotype is] but since they're only eating 2,000kcal they're slim [but not healthy[.

However, if you eat one meal worth 1,900 then you will probably lose (assuming you're overweight meaning that you're eating over 2,500kcal w/o adequate exercise)

2) Btw, please don't eat unhealthily. Junk foods are biochemically designed to addict us because we've evolved to crave fatty. salty and sugary foods [since in hunter-gatherer times, calories and sodium (chloride) were scarce and sugar/fat indicated high-calorie foods. This is why so many of us are fat [and even many "naturally skinny" people are only just eating junk food within their caloric requirements rather than actually eating healthily]. We're all a little addicted to that junk!

If you're going to eat unhealthily then only eat a small amount [like a 100-200kcal snack daily] and focus on healthy sources of carbs [potato, brown/wholemeal grains], fat [oily fish, nuts/seeds eggs], protein [beans, lean meat, and fish] and fruits and veggies.

I don't like many veggies so I try to eat the ones I DO like. I hate carrots, pak choi tomato [i know it;s a fruit but I find it in the veg section chill y'all] and parsnips so I try to eat pumpkin, spinach, sweetcorn, and cauliflower instead.

3) Also, try not to eat too little [especially if you're female. You don;t wanna stop your periods and risk osteoporosis]. Aim for 1,800 to 2,200 kcal daily [or 12,600-15,400 weekly] rather than depriving yourself with only 1,500kcal a day. You'll only freak out your body and put it on Starvation Mode [think "AHHH WE'RE GONNA DIE! SLOW METABOLISM AND LOWER IMMUNE SYSTEM COMPETENCY! AHHHHHHHH!"]

4) Lastly, PLEASE DON'T FOLLOW THOSE INSTA MODELS! They often promote expensive foods and smoothies or unusual diets/lifestyles while claiming "detox" and "cleansing" properties when in reality, you are already detoxing so long as you have AT LEAST ONE kidney, a pair of lungs and a colon. These models are only selling their GOOD GENES as weird diuretic/laxative-laden products or exotic fruits as if THOSE ware ere why their skin is so perfect and why their torsos are so long and curvy. If your blood really needed detoxing, you'd be in the hospital with septicemia or be on dialysis.

I hope this helped :smile:

Good information but you can't tell a person their exact TDEE. 1500kcal is maintenance for a lot of women.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Good information but you can't tell a person their exact TDEE. 1500kcal is maintenance for a lot of women.

Yes, you are right about that. I just gave average examples which I've seen the most frequently.
Original post by cirrostratus
Yes, you are right about that. I just gave average examples which I've seen the most frequently.

Fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest