username5228768
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I would like some advice. So basically, I want to go to uni, preferably a Russell Group University but I don’t have the correct subject choices to do the course I want to do. I want to do pharmacy/pharmacology and I’ve looked into foundation years but Russell groups don’t really do them. What ways are they to get into university? I am an A level student and going to university in September 2020. I am aware that you need A level Biology and Chemistry for Pharmacology but I do BTEC Applied Science Extended Certificate and it’s not enough. Thank you
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by roseflamingo)
Hello, I would like some advice. So basically, I want to go to uni, preferably a Russell Group University but I don’t have the correct subject choices to do the course I want to do. I want to do pharmacy/pharmacology and I’ve looked into foundation years but Russell groups don’t really do them. What ways are they to get into university? I am an A level student and going to university in September 2020. I am aware that you need A level Biology and Chemistry for Pharmacology but I do BTEC Applied Science Extended Certificate and it’s not enough. Thank you
Talk to admissions
Talk to admissions for the courses you are interested in and see if there are any alternatives.
They might accept one or two A levels in addition and then you would have to fast track them on top of your extended diploma.

If you can link me some courses you are interested in I can check if they suggest any alternative avenues as they are sometimes a bit vague on alternative or non standard qualifications. It may be you have to contact the course organisers and see if they will give you a non standard offer based on your situation.

You could explore doing a foundation somewhere else and then transferring after that year.
It is up to the uni.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by roseflamingo)
Many places might accept a Btec in Applied Science but you would need the extended diploma. You might need Chemistry A level in addition. Could you possibly fast track an A level in Chemistry next year and complete the extended diploma and go to university in 2021 instead of 2020.
This would be a far cheaper option than taking a foundation year which would class as your extra year's student finance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.19%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.41%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.73%
I need help with my personal statement (63)
42.57%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
24.32%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.76%

Watched Threads