The Student Room Group

My Friend, caught will a fake 16+ Oyster. Desperate Plea for help.

On the day, a ticket inspector caught him with the fake 16+ oyster. They didn't find anything unusual when they called TFL to confirm the oyster card. However, the inspector took his details. A few weeks later, he received a letter asking him to provide evidence of his oyster as he has been caught without a valid oyster card. He obviously cannot provide evidence of his 16+ oyster card as, he is actually 26 years old.
His 16+ oyster card has also, not been blocked.
What should he do? Should he speak to a Solicitor? Will he get a court summon?
Will he go to prison? Get a criminal record ? And most hopefully just a fine?

Signed,
Tears *cry cry*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A friend? 🤔

He's 26, why can't he can find out this information for himself rather than you asking on a student chatroom? TfL is a good starting point....
He is a university student. I'm asking for help not, judgement okay? Be nice. I cry easily.
I know some of you think this is a joke but I am truly being serious. :frown:
Reply 4
A friend. Sure.
I don't get you guys, either you offer him advice or move on. Stop mocking the poor guy :confused:
Idk what the charges will be, I don’t think imprisonment is really gonna happen, but what if he got a real oyester card made and then said he picked up his brothers or friends by accident idk, maybe anonymously contact TFL and ask what to do idkkk it’s a bit sticky. But then again I’m like some 17 year old so I’m not sure :// but he should deffo stop using that 16+ card now cause then it’s gonna get more sus. He’s probably just gonna get a fine but again... I’m not 100% sure. Good luck though
Great username.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Idk what the charges will be, I don’t think imprisonment is really gonna happen, but what if he got a real oyester card made and then said he picked up his brothers or friends by accident idk, maybe anonymously contact TFL and ask what to do idkkk it’s a bit sticky. But then again I’m like some 17 year old so I’m not sure :// but he should deffo stop using that 16+ card now cause then it’s gonna get more sus. He’s probably just gonna get a fine but again... I’m not 100% sure. Good luck though

Apart from that scenario requiring someone to not recognise the completely different designs between adult and 16+ Oyster cards, the latter has a photo. OP says it's a fake travel card, so sounds like the user has got one made up with a pic...
Reply 9
i don't see how contacting a solicitor is going to help your friend; your friend has no evidence to plead not guilty plus it may be cheaper to just pay the fine. does the letter provide instructions on what to do instead of providing evidence (like paying the fine?). if so, i'd personally do that. whatever your friend does, tell them not to ignore the letter. he could get into big trouble if it goes to the magistrates' court.

tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/penalty-fares-and-how-to-pay-them#on-this-page-3

tfl.gov.uk/fares/prosecutions
I know someone who got a really light sentence in the end (though they did have a solicitor).

The magistrates at the courts are humans lol and are understanding of genuine mitigating factors (if there is any).

My advice would be to plead guilty, try negotiate with the prosecutor on the day and show regret and remorse in court. Also make sure you exhaust the free legal advice available online and over the phone.

Stay hopeful.
The most 'your friend' would get is probably a fine to be honest.

In the future, just travel with a normal oyster.. bus rides are only £1.50.
Original post by AnxiousCrier
On the day, a ticket inspector caught him with the fake 16+ oyster. They didn't find anything unusual when they called TFL to confirm the oyster card. However, the inspector took his details. A few weeks later, he received a letter asking him to provide evidence of his oyster as he has been caught without a valid oyster card. He obviously cannot provide evidence of his 16+ oyster card as, he is actually 26 years old.
His 16+ oyster card has also, not been blocked.
What should he do? Should he speak to a Solicitor? Will he get a court summon?
Will he go to prison? Get a criminal record ? And most hopefully just a fine?

Signed,
Tears *cry cry*

He shouldn't of done it in the first place. But again not here to judge. He'll prob just get a fine
+ a criminal record if guilty
Reply 14
He’s nicked
The magistrates at the courts are humans lol and are understanding of genuine mitigating factors (if there is any).

what mitigating factors can there possibly be for forgetting you stopped being 16 ten years ago? lol
Original post by black tea
what mitigating factors can there possibly be for forgetting you stopped being 16 ten years ago?

I forgot the person is 26.

My mate was only 20 and had genuine mental health issues. Wasn't thinking straight, even before his oyster ordeal.

Obviously I'm not telling anyone to lie about mental health and other things in the hope of being let off. All I'm saying is, honestly and truthfully put everything on the table.

Also depends on how this person replied to TfL's first letter, asking to explain what happend.

Anyway,I don't know why people are still doing this. TfL recently had a massive clamp down on these fake oysters and you still haven't learnt? Saving few hundred a year for a criminal record? People don't realise the severity of a fake 16+, it's not merely fare evasion, it CAN be considered fraud if you used fake docs and have been evading fares for a long time.

Anyone viewing this thread with a fraudulent 16+, just stop now.
I forgot the person is 26.

My mate was only 20 and had genuine mental health issues. Wasn't thinking straight, even before his oyster ordeal.

Obviously I'm not telling anyone to lie about mental health and other things in the hope of being let off. All I'm saying is, honestly and truthfully put everything on the table.

Also depends on how this person replied to TfL's first letter, asking to explain what happend.

Anyway,I don't know why people are still doing this. TfL recently had a massive clamp down on these fake oysters and you still haven't learnt? Saving few hundred a year for a criminal record? People don't realise the severity of a fake 16+, it's not merely fare evasion, it CAN be considered fraud if you used fake docs and have been evading fares for a long time.

Anyone viewing this thread with a fraudulent 16+, just stop now.

I am very intrigued how a 26 year old got anyway with look 16-18 😂😂
Reply 18
I am very intrigued how a 26 year old got anyway with look 16-18 😂😂

Maybe they look like a baby.

(Not a compliment)
I know this thread’s a month old but it’s being bumped a lot so here’s my input.

First of all OP, there is no friend. This is about you, plain and simple. It was you who faked the Oyster card. You’ve done enough lying to the inspector without having to lie to us here too.

So now that that’s out of the way, you obviously have to reply to the letter stating you have no evidence and that you faked it. You’ll probably get a fine and once you pay it all of this will pass. Don’t think you’ll get a criminal record and you certainly won’t go to prison for something so minor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending