The Student Room Group

Accounting is boring and a waste of time and potential.

It's boring no matter what area of accounting you go into. Just a few points below. People recommending you go to uni to get some of the qualifications when in reality everyone who is naive enough to think they're not going to want to blow their brains out 5 years into being an Accountant should actually study ACCA and work at the same time so in 3 years they have completed the exams and got the relevant 3 year work experience to become fully qualified ACCA. University is total time waste, only teenagers who don't know any better think otherwise, atleast i can only speak for Accountancy but pretty sure other fields like Law are the same.
Moving on, all areas of Accounting are boring as ****. Tax? Good luck sitting on your ass crunching numbers all day or using excel, very boring area.
Management/financial accountant? Good luck sitting on your ass being completely uninterested in what you're doing whether advising, talking to clients or whatever other boring task you're given, also boring but not as much as tax. Audit? This is the only area that is bearable in any way. Mostly due to travelling and not being bored to death sitting in an office, still not that interesting.

This profession is BORING and i urge you not to do it. Let the clueless punks who think they're going to get rich in a few years or the ones who are delusional and think they're actually interested in this profession.
What reason is there to become an Accountant over other professions? Money? Wrong, will take you 3-5 years to fully qualify and you start 50k starting in london. Interesting or passionate about this profession? Who are you trying to fool? Pick another profession. Law is equally boring and tedious/tiresome but can be interesting sometimes. If money is your only concern, accounting is not the one. Only Accountants will disagree with me, sunk cost fallacy. Be a doctor if you want to get money.

Scroll to see replies

Be a doctor for money?? You’ve gotta be joking
Some people seem to enjoy it. Surprisingly. I'd hate it as well. 8 hours a day of numbers and Excel for a whole year alone, makes me nervous just thinking about it.
Original post by Dexter345
Be a doctor for money?? You’ve gotta be joking

If you can't make 500-1k a day as a doctor, you're doing something wrong. Go private. Tens of fields that can get gou this or more.
Original post by NonIndigenous
Some people seem to enjoy it. Surprisingly. I'd hate it as well. 8 hours a day of numbers and Excel for a whole year alone, makes me nervous just thinking about it.

A year? Try 3 years minimum to get qualified and then you can do something else if you go into audit or some offtype management area. The whole profession is the definition of soul draining boring profession. Same level as minimum wage cubicle workers but that's a story for a different time.
I loved it! I’ve got to work in computer games companies being their accountant. I am now taking a break snd doing a law degree but even then I have picked tax law as a module!
Anyway has been a fun and profitable career for me.
Original post by Catherine1973
I loved it! I’ve got to work in computer games companies being their accountant. I am now taking a break snd doing a law degree but even then I have picked tax law as a module!
Anyway has been a fun and profitable career for me.

You were the company's accountant, so you didnt actually take part in any developing at all as that's not what accountants are hired for obviously. Not sure why someone at that stage of their career would want to do law degree, guess not fun enough. Glad someone has found some satisfaction in this.
Original post by Redpilled123
If you can't make 500-1k a day as a doctor, you're doing something wrong. Go private. Tens of fields that can get gou this or more.

What fields to get more pay than accountancy then ? Obviously, on a practical level mate, e.g. becoming a footballer, actor or investment banker isn't so easy etc...
Can't think of things much more boring than accounting - I'm sure most people go into it for the money. But considering people also find my degree unbelievably boring, it's totally feasible people do enjoy the subject.
You were the company's accountant, so you didnt actually take part in any developing at all as that's not what accountants are hired for obviously. Not sure why someone at that stage of their career would want to do law degree, guess not fun enough. Glad someone has found some satisfaction in this.

The point is you can be an accountant for an industry that interests you or one that doesn’t.
I just fancied a change of pace after 25 years. Learn something new.
This is such waffle

I did it at A level, I honestly thought it was more interesting than maths

You can make good money being an accountant, for example auditing. A lot of big time CEO’s even started out as management accountants and have accounting related degrees including Phil knight I think my teacher told me.

You can get an A&F degree and go into any area of finance. Including investment banking that everyone seems to love on here
(edited 4 years ago)
accounting is dead boring...:frown:
I would say it is your perspective - the notion with which you're looking at something. I find accounting to be fun! Most of the time, the disinterest in accounting is a result of two things, one is the difficulty in understanding the concepts, the other is the initial job roles you would get (which would involve recording for the most part). Overcoming both these problems by taking up challenging professional courses like CPA, CMA, etc., will certainly have you change your mind!
It's boring no matter what area of accounting you go into. Just a few points below. People recommending you go to uni to get some of the qualifications when in reality everyone who is naive enough to think they're not going to want to blow their brains out 5 years into being an Accountant should actually study ACCA and work at the same time so in 3 years they have completed the exams and got the relevant 3 year work experience to become fully qualified ACCA. University is total time waste, only teenagers who don't know any better think otherwise, atleast i can only speak for Accountancy but pretty sure other fields like Law are the same.
Moving on, all areas of Accounting are boring as ****. Tax? Good luck sitting on your ass crunching numbers all day or using excel, very boring area.
Management/financial accountant? Good luck sitting on your ass being completely uninterested in what you're doing whether advising, talking to clients or whatever other boring task you're given, also boring but not as much as tax. Audit? This is the only area that is bearable in any way. Mostly due to travelling and not being bored to death sitting in an office, still not that interesting.

This profession is BORING and i urge you not to do it. Let the clueless punks who think they're going to get rich in a few years or the ones who are delusional and think they're actually interested in this profession.
What reason is there to become an Accountant over other professions? Money? Wrong, will take you 3-5 years to fully qualify and you start 50k starting in london. Interesting or passionate about this profession? Who are you trying to fool? Pick another profession. Law is equally boring and tedious/tiresome but can be interesting sometimes. If money is your only concern, accounting is not the one. Only Accountants will disagree with me, sunk cost fallacy. Be a doctor if you want to get money.

Are you an accountant? and in which sector?
Original post by Anonymous370
What fields to get more pay than accountancy then ? Obviously, on a practical level mate, e.g. becoming a footballer, actor or investment banker isn't so easy etc...

I would say It's Doctors and the tens of fields within it > accountants/lawyers (both boring and unfulfilling jobs) > other. Obviously there are lots of careers i haven't included and are/may be higher pay but these are just popular ones I see people favour. Footballer and those other jobs are not worth pursuing or even thinking about, they're a pipe dream for people like us. We have to find enjoyment and being satisfied with what we can realistically achieve even though we may wish to achieve a lot more.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by styleman
Are you an accountant? and in which sector?

Yes I am an accountant. It doesn't matter what sector because quite frankly they are all boring and a waste of time.
Original post by Catherine1973
The point is you can be an accountant for an industry that interests you or one that doesn’t.
I just fancied a change of pace after 25 years. Learn something new.

But what difference does it make if the company whos taxes or audit i'm doing is one i find interesting or not? we're taking a look at their financials, not what they're developing and nor are we taking part or contributing in any meaningful way if we do somehow find a specific company/industry interesting. So, I really don't know what you meant by this statement as it doesn't make sense to me or atleast in the perspective of an accountant. Nevertheless, good for you if you found some satisfaction.
Original post by JGoosey2002
This is such waffle

I did it at A level, I honestly thought it was more interesting than maths

You can make good money being an accountant, for example auditing. A lot of big time CEO’s even started out as management accountants and have accounting related degrees including Phil knight I think my teacher told me.

You can get an A&F degree and go into any area of finance. Including investment banking that everyone seems to love on here

You are born in 2002, you don't know anything yet young man. Money is nothing, a means to an end. It won't matter if the cost of obtaining it is the result of you having lead an unfulfilling and unsatisfying career. Investment banking? might aswell try your luck at becoming an actor or footballer since we're talking pipe dreams for 99% of people.
Original post by Varunjain
I would say it is your perspective - the notion with which you're looking at something. I find accounting to be fun! Most of the time, the disinterest in accounting is a result of two things, one is the difficulty in understanding the concepts, the other is the initial job roles you would get (which would involve recording for the most part). Overcoming both these problems by taking up challenging professional courses like CPA, CMA, etc., will certainly have you change your mind!

It's not just my perspective, it's a well known fact amongst pretty much everyone in general that Accounting is an extremely boring profession. Difficulty in understanding concepts? it's not that the concepts are difficult to understand, the issue is that they're boring and do not interest people in the slightest. As for starting jobs being mostly about recording, most of accountants are recording in one way or another regardless of their job title or how high their position is. Accountants record, it's boring but that's a big part of it and just proves my point that this profession is soul-draining and should be avoided at all costs.
its good money though. do it for that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending