The Student Room Group

History and politics at the University of Kent or University of Essex??

I have received offers from both unis and have to make my decision in May. I want to eventually have a career in politics if this helps. Which would be the best uni for this degree?
Politics is one of the strongest depts at Essex.
Original post by b_fraser_
I have received offers from both unis and have to make my decision in May. I want to eventually have a career in politics if this helps. Which would be the best uni for this degree?

Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're considering studying at Kent :biggrin: I'm currently in my final year at Kent studying History with a Year in Data Analytics, so if you have any History specific questions please feel free to ask me!

If you're stuck between two universities then one of the best things you can do is compare the course structure and content, and see which one has the modules that sound most interesting to you or the assessment pattern that fits your strengths best. The course can largely shape your university experience so it is important that you find one you enjoy :smile: I loved Kent's History course as there is only 1 compulsory module in the whole degree and after that you can pick whatever type or period of history you would like to learn about. The course structure really swayed my decision when I was deciding where to apply :smile:
It can be easy to focus on league tables when you're trying to decide but I've found a better comparison can be to look at graduate prospects or how good the university's careers department is. I have personally found that having a good degree is one thing, but having the support to actually apply and use your degree to get a job is another!
I've personally found the careers department at Kent to be super helpful in guiding me to find a job and help me understand what I need to do to get the job I want :smile: I'll link the University of Kent's careers department website here so you can take a look and see what help they could offer you in getting a job in politics :smile: - Careers and Employability Service.

I hope that this helped a bit! Obviously I can't really compare Kent to Essex as I don't know much about Essex! Also if you have any questions about Kent or History at Kent then please feel free to ask, I'm happy to help where I can :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're considering studying at Kent :biggrin: I'm currently in my final year at Kent studying History with a Year in Data Analytics, so if you have any History specific questions please feel free to ask me!

If you're stuck between two universities then one of the best things you can do is compare the course structure and content, and see which one has the modules that sound most interesting to you or the assessment pattern that fits your strengths best. The course can largely shape your university experience so it is important that you find one you enjoy :smile: I loved Kent's History course as there is only 1 compulsory module in the whole degree and after that you can pick whatever type or period of history you would like to learn about. The course structure really swayed my decision when I was deciding where to apply :smile:
It can be easy to focus on league tables when you're trying to decide but I've found a better comparison can be to look at graduate prospects or how good the university's careers department is. I have personally found that having a good degree is one thing, but having the support to actually apply and use your degree to get a job is another!
I've personally found the careers department at Kent to be super helpful in guiding me to find a job and help me understand what I need to do to get the job I want :smile: I'll link the University of Kent's careers department website here so you can take a look and see what help they could offer you in getting a job in politics :smile: - Careers and Employability Service.

I hope that this helped a bit! Obviously I can't really compare Kent to Essex as I don't know much about Essex! Also if you have any questions about Kent or History at Kent then please feel free to ask, I'm happy to help where I can :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply! Could you please explain how the credit system works regarding module choices? I have seen certain modules worth 30 credits and other modules worth 60 which has made me curious.
Original post by b_fraser_
Thanks for the reply! Could you please explain how the credit system works regarding module choices? I have seen certain modules worth 30 credits and other modules worth 60 which has made me curious.

No problem!
Yeah of course :smile:
30 credit modules are modules that run for 1 term and 60 credit modules run for 2 terms.
Because 60 credit modules are double the length of 30 credit ones, you will also usually have to submit double the amount of coursework (ie- in History a 30 credit module usually requires 2 pieces of coursework, where as a 60 credit module will require 4 in total).
It is really as simple as that! Don't worry too much about the credits though, when you come to pick your modules it is all laid out really clearly and you don't really need to think about credits too much :smile:
Hope this helps!
Reply 5
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
No problem!
Yeah of course :smile:
30 credit modules are modules that run for 1 term and 60 credit modules run for 2 terms.
Because 60 credit modules are double the length of 30 credit ones, you will also usually have to submit double the amount of coursework (ie- in History a 30 credit module usually requires 2 pieces of coursework, where as a 60 credit module will require 4 in total).
It is really as simple as that! Don't worry too much about the credits though, when you come to pick your modules it is all laid out really clearly and you don't really need to think about credits too much :smile:
Hope this helps!

Thanks for helping me :smile:
H im at the end of Modern hsitory and Politics at essex and its been pretty good. If you have any questions go ahead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending