The Student Room Group

Scottish student applying to England

Hi,

I am a Scottish student that wishes to study in England. Recently, I have been researching many universities and their requirements regarding Scottish Highers, and on many universities websites, it includes something along the lines of:

"We do not count Highers and Advanced Highers in the same subject."

I don't fully understand what this means. Can anyone help?
I assume it means that if you have an advanced higher in subject X and also a higher in subject X, they aren't considered separate qualifications.
Original post by Knortfoxx
I assume it means that if you have an advanced higher in subject X and also a higher in subject X, they aren't considered separate qualifications.

So you would have to take a new subject at advanced higher for it to be considered a seperate qualification?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by angusgmoncrieff
So you would have to take a new subject at advanced higher for it to be considered a qualification?

They would probably ignore your higher subject, not your advanced higher but yes.
They would probably ignore your higher subject, not your advanced higher but yes.

So, currently I am taking History, English, Economics, Religious Studies and French and next year for Advanced Higher I want to carry on with History and English. If I got an offer for AA but I achieved this in History and English would I still be accepted. Also, is it not extremely uncommon to take a completely new subject at Advanced Higher?
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry if I'm not making sense, I'm just pretty confused...
So, currently I am taking History, English, Economics, Religious Studies and French and next year for Advanced Higher I want to carry on with History and English. If I got an offer for AA but I achieved this in History and English would I still be accepted. Also, is it not extremely uncommon to take a completely new subject at Advanced Higher?

Yes, you would still be accepted. It would probably specify the subjects in your offer, and you might want to ask the unis you're applying to.
I've not applied to university yet so I don't have an offer to look at... However, for reference, this is what it says on the KCL website:

Scottish Highers & Advanced Highers
AAA at Higher

and

AA at Advanced Higher

Must be a combination of three Scottish Highers and two Scottish Advanced Highers. We do not count the Higher and Advanced Higher in the same subject.

Does this mean that if you got 3As at Higher you would most likely be given an offer of 2As at advanced Higher, I'm just confused because these requirements seem awfully low compared to what they require for A-level (A* AA)
I've not applied to university yet so I don't have an offer to look at... However, for reference, this is what it says on the KCL website:

Scottish Highers & Advanced Highers
AAA at Higher

and

AA at Advanced Higher

Must be a combination of three Scottish Highers and two Scottish Advanced Highers. We do not count the Higher and Advanced Higher in the same subject.

Does this mean that if you got 3As at Higher you would most likely be given an offer of 2As at advanced Higher, I'm just confused because these requirements seem awfully low compared to what they require for A-level (A* AA)

Presumably you would have to get 5 As at higher, as the two subjects you are doing at advanced higher wouldn't count.
Presumably you would have to get 5 As at higher, as the two subjects you are doing at advanced higher wouldn't count.

Oh, I understand now. Thank you :smile:

Scottish Higher
AABBB. We do not count Highers and Advanced Highers in the same subject.

Scottish Advanced Higher
AB. We do not count Highers and Advanced Highers in the same subject.

So what would you realistically have to get to receive an offer from this university. Sorry for being so clueless I know I said I understood but I'm asking this just to clarify I do...
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry for being so needy :frown:
I assume it means that if you have an advanced higher in subject X and also a higher in subject X, they aren't considered separate qualifications

Oh, I understand now. Thank you :smile:

Scottish Higher
AABBB. We do not count Highers and Advanced Highers in the same subject.

Scottish Advanced Higher
AB. We do not count Highers and Advanced Highers in the same subject.

So what would you realistically have to get to receive an offer from this university. Sorry for being so clueless I know I said I understood but I'm asking this just to clarify I do...

Would you have to achieve 3As 2Bs at Higher to receive an offer or would it be higher?
Would you have to achieve 3As 2Bs at Higher to receive an offer or would it be higher?

It will vary between students. Your best bet for specific questions is to contact the university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending