The Student Room Group

Maths questions help

Can someone help me with this question as it is due tmrw and i have no clue how to attempt it and get the answer.
Reply 1
This one
Hmm..I think ive done that question before
(edited 4 years ago)
😴😴
Find expressions for the chance of picking a red ball from each one of the bags after two blue balls have been taken from one bag and placed into the other.
Remember that the chance of picking a red ball from each of these bags is the same, so equate the expressions to each other.
What you have written down is correct so far, keep going!
Reply 5
Original post by jamiecjx
Find expressions for the chance of picking a red ball from each one of the bags after two blue balls have been taken from one bag and placed into the other.
Remember that the chance of picking a red ball from each of these bags is the same, so equate the expressions to each other.
What you have written down is correct so far, keep going!

So 30/n+2 = n/12
Original post by samin101
So 30/n+2 = n/12

Remember the probability is number of red ballsnumber of red and blue balls\frac{number\ of\ red\ balls}{number\ of\ red\ and\ blue\ balls}, you just did number of red ballsnumber of blue balls\frac{number\ of\ red\ balls}{number\ of\ blue\ balls}

You should end up with something like this (hidden in spoiler so you can check)

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Remember the probability is number of red ballsnumber of red and blue balls\frac{number\ of\ red\ balls}{number\ of\ red\ and\ blue\ balls}, you just did number of red ballsnumber of blue balls\frac{number\ of\ red\ balls}{number\ of\ blue\ balls}

So 30/n+32 = n/n+12
Reply 8

You should end up with something like this (hidden in spoiler so you can check)

Spoiler

So what should i do next? Im really bad at maths 😂
So 30/n+32 = n/n+12

Yep now solve for n, start by getting rid of the fractions. Multiply both sides by (n+32) and (n+12)

Something like this should come out of it.

Spoiler

You will end up with a quadratic equation, which has two answers. One of these answers will not make any sense, and will be discarded.
Reply 10
Yep now solve for n, start by getting rid of the fractions. Multiply both sides by (n+32) and (n+12)

Something like this should come out of it.

Spoiler

You will end up with a quadratic equation, which has two answers. One of these answers will not make any sense, and will be discarded.

So n^2+2n-360=0 but then you cannot factorise them
So n^2+2n-360=0 but then you cannot factorise them

You can actually factorise it, but if you can't think of a way, just use the quadratic formula to find the solutions.

Spoiler

Reply 12
[quote="jamiecjx;88119386"]You can actually factorise it, but if you can't think of a way, just use the quadratic formula to find the solutions.

Spoiler

Thank you so much. You have been such a great help
Thank you so much. You have been such a great help

My pleasure :smile:
Reply 14
My pleasure :smile:

Could you help with this question?
Could you help with this question?

So for this question there are a lot of approaches you could do.
ngl, I don't really know what you wrote down here, so Imma just start again.

For convenience, call P(GA)= xP\left(G_{A}\right)=\ x and P(GB)= yP\left(G_{B}\right)=\ y

The hint tells you to set up two equations. Find ways to express the two statements in terms of x and y. Remember P(A and B)=P(A)×P(B)P\left(A\ and\ B\right)=P(A) \times P(B)

Quick Reply

Latest