The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath Vs Nottingham

guys, I got in for masters in both bath and Nottingham. I like the course more in bath than Nottingham. I don't know which one to choose because some people say bath is dull and boring whereas Nottingham is fun coz it's in the city. Can you please give me some feedback so I can make a choice easily
Did you have chance to visit the places before we went into lockdown?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by Emily2001x
Did you have chance to visit the places before we went into lockdown?

no , i am a international student
Original post by Anonymous
no , i am a international student

Ahh I see! Is nightlife a big thing to you? I think ultimately think about which one you will enjoy more and maybe about the connectivity of the places as you are an international student :smile:
Bath is essentially a suburb of (bigger than Nottingham) Bristol. Most of the Bath uni staff, for example, will commute from Bristol daily. Because: who can afford to live in Bath?
Reply 5
Ahh I see! Is nightlife a big thing to you? I think ultimately think about which one you will enjoy more and maybe about the connectivity of the places as you are an international student :smile:

I do want a happening nightlife, I thought I could go to bristol on weekends for that. Is it possible to commute to bristol every week to enjoy. Or is there enough nightlife in bath
I'm honestly not the right person to ask in this circumstance as I'm from the opposite part of the country😂

I do want a happening nightlife, I thought I could go to bristol on weekends for that. Is it possible to commute to bristol every week to enjoy. Or is there enough nightlife in bath
Reply 7
oh okay ,thanks anyways :smile:

I'm honestly not the right person to ask in this circumstance as I'm from the opposite part of the country😂
guys, I got in for masters in both bath and Nottingham. I like the course more in bath than Nottingham. I don't know which one to choose because some people say bath is dull and boring whereas Nottingham is fun coz it's in the city. Can you please give me some feedback so I can make a choice easily

Hi!

Glad to hear you're considering Bath for your postgraduate studies!

Having studied at Bath for nearly 4 years and visited friends studying at Nottingham, I can confirm there is a big difference in the cities. Bath is a quiet and very safe city, with a rich history in a beautiful part of the country and for me has been a fantastic place to live. As there are two universities here, there is a definitely a student presence in the city, and there is accommodating nightlife which isn't bad, so is maybe not as dull as you are thinking. It is also 15 miles from Bristol (15 minute train ride from Bath Spa station), which is much larger and has a lot more to do for students, especially in terms of nightlife. I know a lot of people who take advantage of this. However, it is common for international students to feel more confortable in bigger cities as opposed Bath, and Nottingham is definitely a great city for students so maybe you would be happier there. It is certainly much much bigger, also with two universities so has a lot to offer for students, with good nightlife from what I remember.

Whichever Uni you decide to follow through with, they both have fantastic reputations and are very popular cities in the UK, so I'm sure you'll be happy with either!

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Ollie
MSc Engineering Business Management
Reply 9
Thank you so much, Ollie, for your answer. I got an idea now. I just wanted to know one more thing if I chose Bath will I feel stuck cause its a small place . And do you think commuting to bristol is hard and expensive or it's easy and convenient?
Thank you so much, Ollie, for your answer. I got an idea now. I just wanted to know one more thing if I chose Bath will I feel stuck cause its a small place . And do you think commuting to bristol is hard and expensive or it's easy and convenient?

Hi again!

Apologies for the delayed reply.

You definitely will not feel stuck here, commuting to Bristol is very easy. A return ticket from Bath Spa station (loacted in the centre of town) to Bristol Temple Meads station costs around £8 and takes approximately 15 minutes. Alternatively, there are a few bus links that I am less familiar with but I believe they are slighlty cheaper and take closer to 45 minutes, and many students end up sharing ubers back from nights out in Bristol, which can work out very cheap if split with other as the journey is around half an hour.

Hope this helps!

Ollie
MSc Engineering Business Management
Hi Ollie,

Thank you so much for your reply.
I am sorry but I have one more question about what kind of crowd is it in Bath as in the people. Is it more of an older population in bath ??
Hi Ollie,

Thank you so much for your reply.
I am sorry but I have one more question about what kind of crowd is it in Bath as in the people. Is it more of an older population in bath ??

Hey,

Thought I could help with this one - hope you don't mind Ollie!

During term-time, Bath is flooded with students so there are plenty of other young people about. If you go on nights out during the week, you will likely only come across students.

Having said that, there are regular families who live in Bath. You would probably notice this more if you choose to live in Oldfield Park where there's a lot of student housing but also permanent Bath residents too.

On the weekend, the city attracts a lot of tourists, being a world heritage site, so you get more of a mixed crowd. Also, Bath is quite popular for hen parties etc. so a Saturday night out is typically an older crowd than in the week.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, just quote us :smile:

Alice,
Final Year Management Student
Hey Alice,

Thank you so much for your reply. It was really helpful. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest