The Student Room Group

A-Level Physics or Chemistry

For the past 2 months, I've been so conflicted about taking which A-level?

Can someone tell me their honest opinion on the subjects at A-level regarding the difficulty, content level, how hard it was to understand the content etc?

The college I'm planning to go to, the exam boards for both are OCR.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
so i can tell you about physics A level but i’m doing AQA so the exam board will be different but i assume we learn around the same things , i know that its not that different than GCSES it just goes deeper in context such as nuclear particles, the second year is something i can’t tell you about cause i’m in year 12 :P
but it’s still kinda hard but like everything you get used to it , i do suggest that you look into your subjects that you want to study, watch videos look at exam specification so you understand what your getting your self into
Reply 2
Chemistry is a lot more interesting and fun, that’s only my opinion though.
Chemistry is way better
Do both
Reply 5
I'm in Y13 and I did OCR physics and chemistry. They are both really good subjects to do and I think the most important thing is to think about what you want to do after like is any of them more related. I really loved chemistry and it is interesting and I didn't find it hard but a lot of my classmates might have different opinions. Physics is more useful and related to what I want to do but I didn't understand a word in class I found it hard and I learned it by forcing it into my brain at home. It depends if you like to study fields and memorise stuff related to nuclear physics or medical imaging or prefer memorising the organic mechanisms and transition metals reactions. The chemistry practicals are more fun and personally I liked the mechanics part of physics a lot more than writing half equations and balancing redox reactions.
Reply 6
Original post by kiiwi
I'm in Y13 and I did OCR physics and chemistry. They are both really good subjects to do and I think the most important thing is to think about what you want to do after like is any of them more related. I really loved chemistry and it is interesting and I didn't find it hard but a lot of my classmates might have different opinions. Physics is more useful and related to what I want to do but I didn't understand a word in class I found it hard and I learned it by forcing it into my brain at home. It depends if you like to study fields and memorise stuff related to nuclear physics or medical imaging or prefer memorising the organic mechanisms and transition metals reactions. The chemistry practicals are more fun and personally I liked the mechanics part of physics a lot more than writing half equations and balancing redox reactions.

Is chemistry more content heavy or are they relatively the same? I'm better at problem solving rather than memorisation as I prefer the maths side of things. Which subject is more maths based?
Reply 7
Original post by Qu_axk
so i can tell you about physics A level but i’m doing AQA so the exam board will be different but i assume we learn around the same things , i know that its not that different than GCSES it just goes deeper in context such as nuclear particles, the second year is something i can’t tell you about cause i’m in year 12 :P
but it’s still kinda hard but like everything you get used to it , i do suggest that you look into your subjects that you want to study, watch videos look at exam specification so you understand what your getting your self into

How hard is it in your opinion to understand the topics and is it more content heavy or more problem solving? c:
Reply 8
I prefer maths too my other subjects are maths and further maths. Y12 physics wasn't that bad more maths but in y13 it was just memorising to me. But if you are doing further maths then do physics it really helps. There is not much difference in the amount of content relatively same. what are your other subjects?

Original post by ohnojay
Is chemistry more content heavy or are they relatively the same? I'm better at problem solving rather than memorisation as I prefer the maths side of things. Which subject is more maths based?
Reply 9
Original post by kiiwi
I prefer maths too my other subjects are maths and further maths. Y12 physics wasn't that bad more maths but in y13 it was just memorising to me. But if you are doing further maths then do physics it really helps. There is not much difference in the amount of content relatively same. what are your other subjects?

I'm doing maths, further maths and history alongside physics/chemistry. I know history is a lot of memorisation that's why I don't want to overload.
Reply 10
There are a lot more formulas in physics than in chemistry but I loved energy and rates and PH and titration in chemistry. And the memorising is just specific terminology you have to use if you learn them you know exactly what the marks are for in a question for both of them. not the hardest subjects, like history not my thing at all. But in further maths if you do the mechanics module it really helps if you do physics and even if you don't do mechanics module in pure the part about second order differential equation has simple harmonic motion that is in physics.

Original post by ohnojay
I'm doing maths, further maths and history alongside physics/chemistry. I know history is a lot of memorisation that's why I don't want to overload.
Reply 11
Original post by kiiwi
There are a lot more formulas in physics than in chemistry but I loved energy and rates and PH and titration in chemistry. And the memorising is just specific terminology you have to use if you learn them you know exactly what the marks are for in a question for both of them. not the hardest subjects, like history not my thing at all. But in further maths if you do the mechanics module it really helps if you do physics and even if you don't do mechanics module in pure the part about second order differential equation has simple harmonic motion that is in physics.

Okay thank you c;
Which is your favourite and which did you personally find easiest?
Reply 12
Original post by ohnojay
For the past 2 months, I've been so conflicted about taking which A-level?

Can someone tell me their honest opinion on the subjects at A-level regarding the difficulty, content level, how hard it was to understand the content etc?

The college I'm planning to go to, the exam boards for both are OCR.

I'd pick purely on what you'll need at uni. If you do physics or engineering you 100% need physics to get on the course
Reply 13
well out of all further maths is my favourite and maths is the easiest ever but the sciences chemistry is my favourite and also easier. What subject area are you interested to do in uni?

Original post by ohnojay
Okay thank you c;
Which is your favourite and which did you personally find easiest?
Reply 14
Original post by kiiwi
well out of all further maths is my favourite and maths is the easiest ever but the sciences chemistry is my favourite and also easier. What subject area are you interested to do in uni?

I was thinking of going into law or finance. I considered engineering and I know for sure that you need physics but I'm not sure whether physics/ chem would open more career paths.
Reply 15
Original post by tmr19
I'd pick purely on what you'll need at uni. If you do physics or engineering you 100% need physics to get on the course

I haven't decided what I would need at uni yet, do you know which would open up more career options?
Reply 16
I chose physics and chemistry because I didn't know what I wanted to do and maths and science open so many doors and options to go into what ever you want to. But out of the two I think physics open the engineering root but I can't think of courses other than chemistry and medicine that require you to have chemistry. Definitely check the university websites for any course you think you might want to do and check the requirements.

Original post by ohnojay
I was thinking of going into law or finance. I considered engineering and I know for sure that you need physics but I'm not sure whether physics/ chem would open more career paths.
Reply 17
Original post by kiiwi
I chose physics and chemistry because I didn't know what I wanted to do and maths and science open so many doors and options to go into what ever you want to. But out of the two I think physics open the engineering root but I can't think of courses other than chemistry and medicine that require you to have chemistry. Definitely check the university websites for any course you think you might want to do and check the requirements.

okay, thank you sm for the help c;
I do Chemistry AQA, for me personally I would say it requires a lot of work and practice. In terms of exams it is mainly about application which is only practiced through past papers. In terms of difficulty I think it is a doable subject with the right amount of effort and practice daily and throughout. Also any science really opens many doors and within engineering both chemistry and physics is highly rated, I'd suggest you research more into the different career paths you might consider x
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by gulcin.s
I do Chemistry AQA, for me personally I would say it requires a lot of work and practice. In terms of exams it is mainly about application which is only practiced through past papers. In terms of difficulty I think it is a doable subject with the right amount of effort and practice daily and throughout. Also any science really opens many doors and within engineering both chemistry and physics is highly rated, I'd suggest you research more into the different career paths you might consider x

Thank you for the advice c;

Quick Reply

Latest