The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

UWE Physician Associate MSc (MPAS) 2020 entry

Hey!

Just wondering if anyone else has been accepted or is thinking of applying for UWE MPAS course starting August 2020 (or any other year).

I have an unconditional offer which I deferred last year (initially given 2019/2020 entry) and currently trying to save.

Very little information/discussion out there for the UWE course so thought I'd reach out to others :smile:

Be great to hear from those interested

PA-RN 23 x

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I've got interview next week which I'm preparing for at the moment. If you could share any tips or advice or even the type of questions they ask, it'll be highly appreciated.
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by karenkim0204
Hi,

I've got interview next week which I'm preparing for at the moment. If you could share any tips or advice or even the type of questions they ask, it'll be highly appreciated.

Hello!

I had my interview last year for 2019 entry (deferred) so the interview might be different but I had 4 separate interview stations with different members of the team/academic staff. Each lasted 10minutes I believe from the top of my head. They cover life/clinical experience, why PA, academic experience, barriers and challenges... you also sit an exam - very similar to National Exam layout I believe- single best answer questions which cover ethics (a lot of), communication, teamwork, decision making. I do not recall any questions re: anatomy/science - it was mainly to understand your ethical reasoning/decision making process and patient safety.

Honestly - be yourself! These guys can see straight through people who go into it for the wrong reasons. Make sure you know the role and have an awareness of what your future career will be like. Be confident in yourself and you’ll smash it! Effective communication is a critical aspect of any clinical/patient facing role (in my opinion) - be honest and show integrity - they will respect that I’m sure.

Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PA-RN23
Hello!

I had my interview last year for 2019 entry (deferred) so the interview might be different but I had 4 separate interview stations with different members of the team/academic staff. Each lasted 10minutes I believe from the top of my head. They cover life/clinical experience, why PA, academic experience, barriers and challenges... you also sit an exam - very similar to National Exam layout I believe- single best answer questions which cover ethics (a lot of), communication, teamwork, decision making. I do not recall any questions re: anatomy/science - it was mainly to understand your ethical reasoning/decision making process and patient safety.

Honestly - be yourself! These guys can see straight through people who go into it for the wrong reasons. Make sure you know the role and have an awareness of what your future career will be like. Be confident in yourself and you’ll smash it! Effective communication is a critical aspect of any clinical/patient facing role (in my opinion) - be honest and show integrity - they will respect that I’m sure.

Good luck!

Thank you so much, I appreciate it. Mine says interview would last for 1.5 hours with 4 different stations; 3 mini interviews and the written assessment.
I’ve never been good at interviews so hopefully I can do well with this one:smile: Thank you for all the info, that gave me at least an outline at what I should be preparing for. Hopefully, I’ll see you there in August🤞🏼🤞🏼
Reply 4
Original post by karenkim0204
Thank you so much, I appreciate it. Mine says interview would last for 1.5 hours with 4 different stations; 3 mini interviews and the written assessment.
I’ve never been good at interviews so hopefully I can do well with this one:smile: Thank you for all the info, that gave me at least an outline at what I should be preparing for. Hopefully, I’ll see you there in August🤞🏼🤞🏼

No problem!

Oh interesting... I don’t know what the stations are 🤔

But I think if you cover what I’ve said and you’re passionate/enthusiastic and have spent time understanding the role and what’s expected of you then you’ll be fine.

I think that the more you stress and worry the worse it is for you (my experiences too lol!) - take your time, understand the questions being asked and try to answer clear and concise. Use your personality to your advantage.

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you - let me know how it goes 😊
Original post by PA-RN23
No problem!

Oh interesting... I don’t know what the stations are 🤔

But I think if you cover what I’ve said and you’re passionate/enthusiastic and have spent time understanding the role and what’s expected of you then you’ll be fine.

I think that the more you stress and worry the worse it is for you (my experiences too lol!) - take your time, understand the questions being asked and try to answer clear and concise. Use your personality to your advantage.

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you - let me know how it goes 😊

Thank you:smile: and will do.
Hey! I have received an unconditional offer for uwe to study the physician associate masters. Would be great to chat with anyone in the same situation :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Earthscuba
Hey! I have received an unconditional offer for uwe to study the physician associate masters. Would be great to chat with anyone in the same situation :smile:

Hey,

Congratulations!

I got accepted last year at UWE and deferred a year to try and save money (which hasn't gone as expected due to COVID) - unconditional offer too.

I have, however, applied for Swansea for entry this year which is now my first choice. Just waiting to hear back following my initial application.

Did UWE discuss any changes in their fees or financial support during your interview? Are they still offering funded places from trusts in the South West?

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by PA-RN23
Hey,

Congratulations!

I got accepted last year at UWE and deferred a year to try and save money (which hasn't gone as expected due to COVID) - unconditional offer too.

I have, however, applied for Swansea for entry this year which is now my first choice. Just waiting to hear back following my initial application.

Did UWE discuss any changes in their fees or financial support during your interview? Are they still offering funded places from trusts in the South West?

Thank you! :smile:

Hey! Thank you! :smile:, and congratulations on your offer, and fingers crossed for Swansea! I was due to apply too but missed the deadline but have had a super positive experience with UWE, so am very happy indeed. I hope you're coping as well as you possibly can with Covid. As far as I understand there is the possibility for financial support in the second year, otherwise having tuition of 9250? Is this the same as when you applied?
Hope you're having a great Easter.
Reply 9
Hey! Thank you! :smile:, and congratulations on your offer, and fingers crossed for Swansea! I was due to apply too but missed the deadline but have had a super positive experience with UWE, so am very happy indeed. I hope you're coping as well as you possibly can with Covid. As far as I understand there is the possibility for financial support in the second year, otherwise having tuition of 9250? Is this the same as when you applied?
Hope you're having a great Easter.

Hey,

Thank you!

Glad you had a good experience with UWE :smile: the staff were very welcoming at the interview and I think it is an excellent choice. I worked in A&E at Southmead in Bristol and I know the PA students and PA's have generally had good supportive placements during the course too. Not sure if you're from Bristol, but it is a lovely city.

I know a fair bit about the course/Bristol so if you want any more information or help feel free to ask.

I'm a Nurse so I am still working - trying to keep safe and do what I can. Thank you. Same to you :smile: Sadly I was doing extra agency work alongside my substantive post to put money back for the course but now unable to.

Yes, that sounds the same. Full tuition fees self-funded. I think they offer a discount for Alumni. I know you get the normal PG loan from SFE if you want which is £10,000 approx and the HEE £5,000 grant (I believe this is still being offered). They previously mentioned sponsorship opportunities from a few NHS Trusts (that might be the second year option they mentioned to you).

I will be working for some of it but making the most of having a garden and getting some doses of Vitamin D lol What about yourself?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PA-RN23
Hey,

Thank you!

Glad you had a good experience with UWE :smile: the staff were very welcoming at the interview and I think it is an excellent choice. I worked in A&E at Southmead in Bristol and I know the PA students and PA's have generally had good supportive placements during the course too. Not sure if you're from Bristol, but it is a lovely city.

I know a fair bit about the course/Bristol so if you want any more information or help feel free to ask.

I'm a Nurse so I am still working - trying to keep safe and do what I can. Thank you. Same to you :smile: Sadly I was doing extra agency work alongside my substantive post to put money back for the course but now unable to.

Yes, that sounds the same. Full tuition fees self-funded. I think they offer a discount for Alumni. I know you get the normal PG loan from SFE if you want which is £10,000 approx and the HEE £5,000 grant (I believe this is still being offered). They previously mentioned sponsorship opportunities from a few NHS Trusts (that might be the second year option they mentioned to you).

I will be working for some of it but making the most of having a garden and getting some doses of Vitamin D lol What about yourself?

Hey,

I thought they were super welcoming too :smile: That is really promising and encouraging to hear - Thanks! Sounds like you have so much experience which will be amazing preparation for the course!

I am not from Bristol - so will be moving there which is a little daunting but also exciting! Any general Bristol or course tips will be very well received so in that sense I very much welcome you to pm me :smile:

Nice - which department do you work in? That's understandable but I imagine frustrating since it's so unforeseen. My background is a bit different - Biology grad working in finance in London atm but a career change seemed the right thing.

I think the sponsorship is only for the second year - but really need to look into it. I don't see myself applying for other courses at this stage.

Happy that you have outdoor space! In London it is just so crowded especially in parks, so very grateful for the outdoor space. Going to have a few glasses of wine and do a quiz this evening!

Best of luck with your applications etc and would love to hear from you re Bristol or the course!
Reply 11
Hey,

I thought they were super welcoming too :smile: That is really promising and encouraging to hear - Thanks! Sounds like you have so much experience which will be amazing preparation for the course!

I am not from Bristol - so will be moving there which is a little daunting but also exciting! Any general Bristol or course tips will be very well received so in that sense I very much welcome you to pm me :smile:

Nice - which department do you work in? That's understandable but I imagine frustrating since it's so unforeseen. My background is a bit different - Biology grad working in finance in London atm but a career change seemed the right thing.

I think the sponsorship is only for the second year - but really need to look into it. I don't see myself applying for other courses at this stage.

Happy that you have outdoor space! In London it is just so crowded especially in parks, so very grateful for the outdoor space. Going to have a few glasses of wine and do a quiz this evening!

Best of luck with your applications etc and would love to hear from you re Bristol or the course!

Hello!

I think because the University campus is relatively small (healthcare course wise) it makes the experience very personal. The cohort is quite small too - my friend is currently in her second year and she said that as a group they are close and very supportive.

Clinically/hands on experience I am quite lucky, however, the thought or writing another dissertation (eeeeeek) and I need to brush up on my foundations of anatomy and physiology etc.

I will drop you a PM and see what I can do to help :smile:

My background is A&E and major trauma/urgent care. I've been redeployed as I am on the vulnerable/at risk list so I am currently in a liason team responsible for supporting families/relatives of COVID positive patients and supporting grieving families/breaking bad news over the telephone (which is an emotional and challenging experience). Sadly due to the outbreak all communication is via phone or video call.

Very much so. I also do not want to delay starting the course for another year thus very frustrating.

That is a change! But why not! If you feel this is the right decision for you then go for it... life is about getting out of your comfort zone. You'll be great, I'm sure.

There was VERY limited information given about it when I had my interview as it seems very subjective depending on whether they want to offer the sponsorships each academic year. With the COVID the trust's may pull the sponsorship due to redirecting of finances/resources.

Did you apply to any other PA courses?

That must be very challenging! Windows open, get some fresh air in :smile: Enjoy that wine and quiz night!

Thank you! I will drop you a PM soon :smile:
Original post by PA-RN23
Hello!

I think because the University campus is relatively small (healthcare course wise) it makes the experience very personal. The cohort is quite small too - my friend is currently in her second year and she said that as a group they are close and very supportive.

Clinically/hands on experience I am quite lucky, however, the thought or writing another dissertation (eeeeeek) and I need to brush up on my foundations of anatomy and physiology etc.

I will drop you a PM and see what I can do to help :smile:

My background is A&E and major trauma/urgent care. I've been redeployed as I am on the vulnerable/at risk list so I am currently in a liason team responsible for supporting families/relatives of COVID positive patients and supporting grieving families/breaking bad news over the telephone (which is an emotional and challenging experience). Sadly due to the outbreak all communication is via phone or video call.

Very much so. I also do not want to delay starting the course for another year thus very frustrating.

That is a change! But why not! If you feel this is the right decision for you then go for it... life is about getting out of your comfort zone. You'll be great, I'm sure.

There was VERY limited information given about it when I had my interview as it seems very subjective depending on whether they want to offer the sponsorships each academic year. With the COVID the trust's may pull the sponsorship due to redirecting of finances/resources.

Did you apply to any other PA courses?

That must be very challenging! Windows open, get some fresh air in :smile: Enjoy that wine and quiz night!

Thank you! I will drop you a PM soon :smile:

Hey :smile:. Do you know how many people are on the course in your friends year? Am a little apprehensive going back to uni (even though I am only 26)… Also not sure if I should look into finding a place in Bristol or wait it out until lockdown is at least over. I also really need to brush up on my physiology but I spoke to a friend who said the best way is to see the course structure / layout and hit the ground running from the first couple of weeks.

I haven't applied for any other courses which I know is bold. Not sure if having choices is a good or a bad thing at this stage... When you received your offer did the uni send you additional information etc...?

Wow, well that is an amazing thing you are doing, and I am sure that you are doing an absolutely incredible job! Can I ask what motivated you to apply for the course out of curiosity? I think wherever you decide to go will be happy to have you!

Of course feel free to pm whenever :smile:
Hi everyone!

I am a current biomed student at UWE and I am due to start the PA course with you guys! Ask me anything, I might be able to help with a few queries regarding the PA course :smile:

You can also PM if you like!
Reply 14
Hey :smile:. Do you know how many people are on the course in your friends year? Am a little apprehensive going back to uni (even though I am only 26)… Also not sure if I should look into finding a place in Bristol or wait it out until lockdown is at least over. I also really need to brush up on my physiology but I spoke to a friend who said the best way is to see the course structure / layout and hit the ground running from the first couple of weeks.

I haven't applied for any other courses which I know is bold. Not sure if having choices is a good or a bad thing at this stage... When you received your offer did the uni send you additional information etc...?

Wow, well that is an amazing thing you are doing, and I am sure that you are doing an absolutely incredible job! Can I ask what motivated you to apply for the course out of curiosity? I think wherever you decide to go will be happy to have you!

Of course feel free to pm whenever :smile:

Hey! Did you get my essay of a PM?

Original post by WonderWoman98
Hi everyone!

I am a current biomed student at UWE and I am due to start the PA course with you guys! Ask me anything, I might be able to help with a few queries regarding the PA course :smile:

Also PM'd you :smile:
Original post by PA-RN23

UWE have 20-25 places each year - last year they had 150 applicant!
Original post by PA-RN23

I did :smile: Thank you so much - All super helpful! I think The content of my message autosaved and didn't post so I am sorry about that, have replied to you :smile:
Original post by WonderWoman98
Hi everyone!

Hey!
Will be nice to chat to future course-mates :smile: What made you choose UWE? I am just looking into accommodation etc now. I graduated from my degree around 3 years ago so would welcome any tips of what to brush on / resources haha. Do you know the funding situation for the second year / how many people would be in our intake / the age range of students? Do you think we will start on time due to COVID?
Feel free to PM, apologies for the overload of qs haha and looking forward to meeting you in August (hopefully)…
Hello :smile:

I chose UWE because I’ll be an alumni here so I’ll get 15% off the first year tuition fee for PA and I love Bristol, it’s a nice city to have a student experience in!

In terms of funding for second year rumour has it that there are 2 funded places available subject to working in Yeovil for a few years.

There will be between 20-25 people in our cohort, and I can confirm that there’s about 5/6 course mates of mine from UWE biomed, who will also be doing the PA course. - so the current age range is 21-27

In terms of what to brush up on I heard that we need to know our anatomy really well! - what was your previous degree? Also brushing up on things like how to interpret blood results would be very helpful!

And in terms of COVID - I really don’t know what will happen, but UWE have postponed our graduation that normally occurs in July, so I don’t know whether courses will also be delayed.

I hope this helps! I’m happy to answer anymore questions! :smile:

Ps. I don’t know what to do in terms of buying a stethoscope and book? - some unis give our free stethoscopes to students, I don’t know whether UWE will.
Hey I’m a second year PA at UWE just coming to the end of the course, you absolutely need a stethoscope they won’t provide them - I recommend the Littmann classic 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending