The Student Room Group

iPad Pro 2020 with Apple Pencil and magic keyboard or MacBook

Hi,
My current MacBook needs upgrading and I’m looking for a new device to use for uni. I’m going to be doing economics and management. Is it best typing or writing notes in lectures? I wrote my notes at A Level and found it helped me remember the information. What would you recommend? The new iPad Pro is super expensive. Do you think it can replace a computer?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you can, get a MacBook Pro for work outside of the lectures, and get an entry level iPad and pencil for lecture notes. Thats what I do.
I would recommend going for it. There's a new magic keyboard coming with a cursor which makes it even better. Its almost as good as the MacBook and comes with more advantages because its much more portable.
Original post by Charlie101998
If you can, get a MacBook Pro for work outside of the lectures, and get an entry level iPad and pencil for lecture notes. Thats what I do.

But surely it would be better to have a 2 in 1, such as the new iPad Pro. Is the iPad Pro not a replacement to a MacBook Pro?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous_4657
But surely it would be better to have a 2 in 1, such as the new iPad Pro. Is the iPad Pro not a replacement to a MacBook Pro?

The issue with using an iPad Pro to replace a full desktop experience, is the lack of software support. I'm a computer science student so I need full development suits and that just not a thing you can get on a table such as the iPad.
The issue with using an iPad Pro to replace a full desktop experience, is the lack of software support. I'm a computer science student so I need full development suits and that just not a thing you can get on a table such as the iPad.

But I’m not gonna be needing to do heavy stuff such as coding.
But I’m not gonna be needing to do heavy stuff such as coding.

Then I suppose if you're only using it for taking notes and reviewing lectures and stuff, it might be okay.
Original post by Angelj16
I would recommend going for it. There's a new magic keyboard coming with a cursor which makes it even better. Its almost as good as the MacBook and comes with more advantages because its much more portable.

What device do you currently have? Do you think that it could fully replace a laptop? I would use it for writing essays, taking notes, browsing the web and watching Netflix. Or would you recommend a MacBook and an iPad Air.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Hiya, i use the ipad pro 2018 at the moment for school although i have a laptop as well. I find the ipad really good for notes as everything is so organised and in one place (including handouts from teachers), but i do find that i like to have the laptop as well. The ipad is great for notes but typing large amounts of texts on it is really not fun and much slower than on a laptop (and i make more errors). I also find that if you truly use your ipad as a notebook and have all notes on there that i cant google information and also have notes open (with split screen you can technically but everything is abit small to properly do work for an extended period of time). I usually use my laptop to read textbooks / google things and then have my ipad just as i would have a notebook for writing and keeping notes in, but i guess thats just personal preference. Also obviously as everything on the ipad is app based you dont have 100% the same access to all software. Although i cant recommend an iPad enough it was the best switch ever! (And yes netflix on the 12.9 inch is amazing haha)
Then I suppose if you're only using it for taking notes and reviewing lectures and stuff, it might be okay.

It’s a hard decision. Do you think it’s better physically writing notes or digitally writing them?
It’s a hard decision. Do you think it’s better physically writing notes or digitally writing them?

I use my iPad to take notes on what my lecture says during the lectures but my revision notes are all handwritten
Original post by Fizzacer
Hiya, i use the ipad pro 2018 at the moment for school although i have a laptop as well. I find the ipad really good for notes as everything is so organised and in one place (including handouts from teachers), but i do find that i like to have the laptop as well. The ipad is great for notes but typing large amounts of texts on it is really not fun and much slower than on a laptop (and i make more errors). I also find that if you truly use your ipad as a notebook and have all notes on there that i cant google information and also have notes open (with split screen you can technically but everything is abit small to properly do work for an extended period of time). I usually use my laptop to read textbooks / google things and then have my ipad just as i would have a notebook for writing and keeping notes in, but i guess thats just personal preference. Also obviously as everything on the ipad is app based you dont have 100% the same access to all software. Although i cant recommend an iPad enough it was the best switch ever! (And yes netflix on the 12.9 inch is amazing haha)

So would you recommend getting it instead of a new MacBook. The new magic keyboard looks sick and will basically make it into a laptop. What things would I need to do which I can’t on an iPad.
(edited 4 years ago)
Personally i would recommend it yea, what course are you studying? Like someone mentioned above as long as theres no computer sciencey programs or graphic design things you will nerd to have the ipad should be great! I do recommend the 12.9 not the 10 inch one tho - much better size for writing notes and stuff. As for essays, i guess i would prefer a laptop but the new keyboard looks alot better than the 2018 apple one (and i guess if you dont get along with it you can just buy a different bluetooth keyboard and use that to type essays on if you find youre more efficient that way)
Original post by Fizzacer
Personally i would recommend it yea, what course are you studying? Like someone mentioned above as long as theres no computer sciencey programs or graphic design things you will nerd to have the ipad should be great! I do recommend the 12.9 not the 10 inch one tho - much better size for writing notes and stuff. As for essays, i guess i would prefer a laptop but the new keyboard looks alot better than the 2018 apple one (and i guess if you dont get along with it you can just buy a different bluetooth keyboard and use that to type essays on if you find youre more efficient that way)

I will be doing an economics and management degree. Is word, PowerPoint etc. good on an iPad Pro? Also how good is the file system on the iPad Pro? It’s just I don’t know if I would need a Mac and obviously I don’t want to get both due to cost.
(edited 4 years ago)
I will be doing an economics and management degree. Is word, PowerPoint etc. good on an iPad Pro? Also how good is the file system on the iPad Pro? It’s just I don’t know if I would need a Mac and obviously I don’t want to get both due to cost.

I mostly use the google system so everything is backed up online automatically so I havent actually downloaded word, powerpoint, etc. But the google docs, and slides apps work seamlessly - really easy to use and transfer power points into notability to annotate them and send back as a PDF once finished, honestly everything on the ipad is super user friendly and seems to work very well. The file system is good but you need to organise it really well and keep it very clean and tidy so that you can always find things. Again i would recommend google drive as a file system instead to be honest, everything is automatically saved as you’re working on and you can make folders and things with all your different types of files in it. And with google drive you can also log in on other devices really easy and have all of your stuff there which isnt quite as easy as using files (and totally agree about the cost! Our school provides us with laptops but i got the ipad for myself because i was sick of having so much junk in my bag for all the different classes)
To be honest I prefer the Apple software. Also I was going to sell my MacBook to be able to afford the iPad Pro. I’m wanting a 12.9 inch screen so I can do split screen more easily and it will make taking notes much easier. What are your views?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
I have an iMac (desk at home), 2015 MacBook Pro and 2018 iPad Pro. The iPad would be good for lecture notes and light, quick tasks but I absolutely would not recommend it as your only device. I can't imagine trying to write essays and work on assignments without a computer so if you're only going to have one, make it a MacBook. Purely on the basis of value for money, I'd recommend the new 2020 MacBook Air with quad-core processor.
Original post by ROC10
I have an iMac (desk at home), 2015 MacBook Pro and 2018 iPad Pro. The iPad would be good for lecture notes and light, quick tasks but I absolutely would not recommend it as your only device. I can't imagine trying to write essays and work on assignments without a computer so if you're only going to have one, make it a MacBook. Purely on the basis of value for money, I'd recommend the new 2020 MacBook Air with quad-core processor.

What if I got the magic keyboard. Then would I be able to write essays easily?
Hi,
My current MacBook needs upgrading and I’m looking for a new device to use for uni. I’m going to be doing economics and management. Is it best typing or writing notes in lectures? I wrote my notes at A Level and found it helped me remember the information. What would you recommend? The new iPad Pro is super expensive. Do you think it can replace a computer?

Honestly, to be as efficient as possible, get both if you can
Original post by Hopefully a doc
Honestly, to be as efficient as possible, get both if you can

If I get the new magic keyboard it will basically be a computer. I don’t see why I need both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending