The Student Room Group

Should I drop History???

I’m in year 10 and I’ve already done a year of my option subjects (French,History,Geography) and Ive done my mocks for them. I got a level 3 in History and I’m used to getting level 5s and I think tackling both Geography AND History is too much. I’ve asked my brother who took Geography, Psychology and French and got As, he’s now in 16+ and wants to study medicine. He says that it would be a wasted year and I can come back from this and still get a pass. I don’t want to give up, but at the same time I’m too stressed to do both especially, because I’m already doing triple science and higher tier maths. I have only Thai chance to change my my options and I’m not sure if I should. Someone please help me and give me advice!!!!!!!!
dont, i can help you where you have problem in.
Reply 2
Thank youuu!! I’ve thought about it more and this definitely helps. I’m going to do lots of revision for the content we’ve done so far during the summer and afterwards, while also going through the new content. I think History and Geography can be easy subjects if you just memorize everything, because that’s basically the only skill you need. Thanks again for the advice 😊
Reply 3
Original post by Jeninjc
I’m in year 10 and I’ve already done a year of my option subjects (French,History,Geography) and Ive done my mocks for them. I got a level 3 in History and I’m used to getting level 5s and I think tackling both Geography AND History is too much. I’ve asked my brother who took Geography, Psychology and French and got As, he’s now in 16+ and wants to study medicine. He says that it would be a wasted year and I can come back from this and still get a pass. I don’t want to give up, but at the same time I’m too stressed to do both especially, because I’m already doing triple science and higher tier maths. I have only Thai chance to change my my options and I’m not sure if I should. Someone please help me and give me advice!!!!!!!!

Right ... Could you list all the subjects you are currently doing? This will help me to advice you on what to do.
Original post by Jeninjc

Speak to your teachers. They will be able to help you far more than anyone on TSR, especially seeing as you haven’t supplied us with a huge amount of information... 😂
Reply 5
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Right ... Could you list all the subjects you are currently doing? This will help me to advice you on what to do.

I’m doing triple science, maths and English, but I have those exams in yr11. I’m also doing French, Geography and History.
Reply 6
Original post by Jeninjc
I’m doing triple science, maths and English, but I have those exams in yr11. I’m also doing French, Geography and History.

I doubt they’ll let you drop History as it’s one of your three options though dropping triple Science is possible if the pressure gets too much. See what your school says anyways. Btw, I can help with History. :smile:
Reply 7
I doubt they’ll let you drop History as it’s one of your three options though dropping triple Science is possible if the pressure gets too much. See what your school says anyways. Btw, I can help with History. :smile:

I’m planning on keeping triple science, plus I’m going to be studying for maths and science almost everyday, as they’re the most important, but tips can you suggest for me.
Reply 8
Original post by Jeninjc
I’m planning on keeping triple science, plus I’m going to be studying for maths and science almost everyday, as they’re the most important, but tips can you suggest for me.

For History, knowing the content isn’t enough and I recommend practicing exam questions as often as possible - even planning them is fine. Can send you exam board specific stuff if you want once I’m back later.
Reply 9
For History, knowing the content isn’t enough and I recommend practicing exam questions as often as possible - even planning them is fine. Can send you exam board specific stuff if you want once I’m back later.

Yeah sure that would help to see what I can improve in and how the mark scheme works.
And I have a revision guide for the American West and Nazi Germany with info on events, names and dates, with exam questions so I’m planning on going over those through the summer. But I also have exams for Elizabethan England and Medicine through time so I’ll try finding some for those online. Thanks!
Reply 10
I posted this two years and thought I’d update on how I did in these exams last year (year 10).

History - 8 (doing a level history starting September)
Geography- 5
French - 5
English Lang - 6

It’s funny considering I wanted to drop history and I’m now taking it at a level. Once I started revising for it regularly I started really enjoying the content. I always found it interesting but I think due to the stress it just drowned out my love for the subject.

Thank you for everyone who encouraged me to keep studying history and geography together. Goes to show it’s possible to study and do well in both.

Also, in year 11 I ended up doing combined science, instead of triple, English lit (also doing at a level), maths and citizenship.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
I loveee history too and started it for alevel but then dropped it like 2 months ago because it was too much alongside my other 3 alevelsDo you want to do medicine too now
Reply 12
Original post by Yasmin.123
I loveee history too and started it for alevel but then dropped it like 2 months ago because it was too much alongside my other 3 alevelsDo you want to do medicine too now

Nope that was something my parents wanted me to do. Now that I’m thinking about what I WANT I know I wanna do something like English Literature at university since that’s one of my favourite subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending