The Student Room Group

UCAT prep

Hi guys,
Hope you are all well, especially during this hard time.
I'm 23 yrs old and plan to try my best to get in medical school in 3 yrs, cause after that I think I won't have support from my family.
Currently I would like to take UCAT in 2020 (actually no idea will they still hold the test). I started to work on it today, a few VR tests and not suprisingly, really bad lol only 50% accuracy.
I felt down for hours and decide to carry on tomorrow (I have two kids to look after so I can only practice at night).
I will post things I find useful/funny or difficult to tackle.
I hope I can go through this, last time I have to study intensively I became super depressed and barely finished my degree, I hope this won't happen this time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by YuanG
Hi guys,
I'm 23 yrs old and plan to try my best to get in medical school in 3 yrs, cause after that I think I won't have support from my family.
Currently I would like to take UCAT in 2020 (actually no idea will they still hold the test). I started to work on it today, a few VR tests and not suprisingly, really bad lol only 50% accuracy.
I felt down for hours and decide to carry on tomorrow (I have two kids to look after so I can only practice at night).
I hope I can go through this, last time I have to study intensively I became super depressed and barely finished my degree, I hope this won't happen this time.

Heya, posting to say good luck! I don’t the UCAT (was called UKCAT then) and I know it’s a difficult test. If you need any help please don’t be afraid to ask! Have a good night
Reply 2
Medify is really good for improving your UCAT. I would work through that there are hundreds of questions.
Heyyy!! I’m in college right now and gosh darn the quantitative reasoning questions I’ve been doing are bleghhhh! However, I shalt not give up and neither shall you!!!! Keep trying hard and good luck!:smile:
Reply 4
My most desperate problem for VR is timing. Today I tried 20 questions and used 14 mins with accuracy 50%. After that I practiced few single paragraphs, every time the time is just enough and the accuracy is also 50%.
I think I will keep trying the way to read question and statements first then find keywords in the paragraph.
Hope this will work!
Reply 5
Original post by S_x_x
Heya, posting to say good luck! I don’t the UCAT (was called UKCAT then) and I know it’s a difficult test. If you need any help please don’t be afraid to ask! Have a good night

Good night to you!
Reply 6
Original post by R1DANCJC
Medify is really good for improving your UCAT. I would work through that there are hundreds of questions.

Thank you! I read that from other posts and yes I will use that about two to three weeks before real exam.
Reply 7
Original post by YuanG
Thank you! I read that from other posts and yes I will use that about two to three weeks before real exam.

Definitely get it earlier there are enough questions and 8-10 full mock exams! For VR, I’d try reading the question and answers before reading the passage, for lots of reasons this improved my score. Also learning that skipping questions is a skill. Aim to get through all the ones you can definitely get right first and go back to more difficult questions at the end, this works for all sections!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ArtmisKco
Heyyy!! I’m in college right now and gosh darn the quantitative reasoning questions I’ve been doing are bleghhhh! However, I shalt not give up and neither shall you!!!! Keep trying hard and good luck!:smile:

QR part I found is basically depends on practice, it is not hard for me maybe because I'm Chinese? lol
I haven't go to College yet, applied for 2020 entry. But the medical school I would like to go suggest me to apply in 2020 for 2021 entry which is kinda weird. Anyway I decide to give it a go, Hope we can both get what we want!
Reply 9
Original post by R1DANCJC
Definitely get it earlier there are enough questions and 8-10 full mock exams! For VR, I’d try reading the question and answers before reading the passage, for lots of reasons this improved my score. Also learning that skipping questions is a skill. Aim to get through all the ones you can definitely get right first and go back to more difficult questions at the end, this works for all sections!

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely consider this and probably give it one and a half months. I would like use that mock exams when I have basic ideas about the topics.
Reply 10
Do you have any particular unis in mind? I know its early and the UCAT should be used strategically in applying, but does somewhere take your fancy?
Original post by YuanG
QR part I found is basically depends on practice, it is not hard for me maybe because I'm Chinese? lol
I haven't go to College yet, applied for 2020 entry. But the medical school I would like to go suggest me to apply in 2020 for 2021 entry which is kinda weird. Anyway I decide to give it a go, Hope we can both get what we want!

Haha! I loved gcse maths, it was fun and not that hard. However I’m not having much fun with QR but you’re right it all does depend on practice. So I won’t give up!
Reply 12
Original post by S_x_x
Do you have any particular unis in mind? I know its early and the UCAT should be used strategically in applying, but does somewhere take your fancy?

The place I want to go is Bristol, I live nearby so basically that is the only place I could go lol I know this sound crazy but unfortunately I don't have many option.
Reply 13
OK I tried a few AR before bed now I'm worried about my consistance thinking. Why I can never find the pattern? Heard some was borned with ability to notice this realllllly jealous.
Good night everyone
Reply 14
Haha! I loved gcse maths, it was fun and not that hard. However I’m not having much fun with QR but you’re right it all does depend on practice. So I won’t give up!

One silly question, have you register and book the exam for 2020 yet? I have no idea where can I book it but some people said they already have scheduled date? really confuses me.
Original post by YuanG
One silly question, have you register and book the exam for 2020 yet? I have no idea where can I book it but some people said they already have scheduled date? really confuses me.

Ah it shouldn’t be possible to have it booked yet. Registration opens in the middle of May I believe and due to corona it might open in June. Then you can book from anywhere between July-and the middle of October
Reply 16
Ah it shouldn’t be possible to have it booked yet. Registration opens in the middle of May I believe and due to corona it might open in June. Then you can book from anywhere between July-and the middle of October

Thanks!
Original post by YuanG
My most desperate problem for VR is timing. Today I tried 20 questions and used 14 mins with accuracy 50%. After that I practiced few single paragraphs, every time the time is just enough and the accuracy is also 50%.
I think I will keep trying the way to read question and statements first then find keywords in the paragraph.
Hope this will work!

Just to clarify, if you are talking UCAT this year then it can only be used this admissions cycle, so you'd need to be 2021 entry or 2022 entry (deferred).
Timing is the hard part for everyone, but tbf 50% isn't actually that bad. You can google to see what score that would convert to out of 900
good luck!!
Original post by YuanG
Hi guys,

There is lots of discussion and tips on this thread.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6282054&p=88129646&page=11#post88129646

If you are looking to go to med school in three years time there’s little point in doing the UCAT this year. It needs to be done in the year prior to actual entry. Also Bristol is a very UCAT heavy medical school and has one of the highest cut off scores.

Latest

Trending

Trending