The Student Room Group

Blacklisted??

Hey so basically someone sent me money from a fraudulent account and i sent it bank so now santander has put a mark on my name wrongfully and closed off my account completely. I complained to every single operation which could help me and they all denied me. What does it mean to have a mark on my name and am I basicaly blacklisted?? The bank is not giving me any information and this has jus brought so much stress onto me and my family does anyone know how long this mark will be there and can i open an account with any other bankss? How bad is this going to be for mee??

Scroll to see replies

there is no such thing as a blacklist. If you have a CIFAS fraud marker then that is an issue.
Do you know the person that sent you the money? How do you know the sending account was fraudulent - what do you mean by that?
Did you report the fraudulent activity to the police or your bank?
Original post by Theofficialpv
Hey so basically someone sent me money from a fraudulent account and i sent it bank so now santander has put a mark on my name wrongfully and closed off my account completely. I complained to every single operation which could help me and they all denied me. What does it mean to have a mark on my name and am I basicaly blacklisted?? The bank is not giving me any information and this has jus brought so much stress onto me and my family does anyone know how long this mark will be there and can i open an account with any other bankss? How bad is this going to be for mee??

Looks like you got a cifas marker that lasts 6 years other banks are most likely to decline you
How do they know if they have a cifa marker? And are they likely to give him a cifa marker straight away? Or will it just be a business decision to leave him go and not offer him banking facilities and to go elsewhere?
Original post by Username9999
How do they know if they have a cifa marker? And are they likely to give him a cifa marker straight away? Or will it just be a business decision to leave him go and not offer him banking facilities and to go elsewhere?

I’m sure banks would leave you go as a business reason rather than place a cifa marker against you??? They usually say on the letter they give you 65 days until the account closes

If your bank account gets closed the letter would usually look like this and they give you usually 60 days to bank elsewhere
Attachment not found
I can’t open the attachment it’s not leaving me. So if they give you 60 days like that they’d usually put a cifa against you would they? With you regarding to open a new bank account I thought they close all your other accounts? Or is it only if you’re trying to open new accounts
Original post by struggler07
If your bank account gets closed the letter would usually look like this and they give you usually 60 days to bank elsewhere
Attachment not found

To what I was saying, I thought it’d be better for banks just to let you go as a business decision rather than give cifas out? Is it true that once you have a cifa that all your other banks will close? Cause I’ve heared that’s a load of rubbish by some people.... asking for a friend btw.
I can’t open the attachment it’s not leaving me. So if they give you 60 days like that they’d usually put a cifa against you would they? With you regarding to open a new bank account I thought they close all your other accounts? Or is it only if you’re trying to open new accounts

Let me attach it again, yeah they would after 60 days and most of the times they would alert other banks and close your bank account and if your trynna open a new bank account it’s gonna be near impossible for 6 years mate
To what I was saying, I thought it’d be better for banks just to let you go as a business decision rather than give cifas out? Is it true that once you have a cifa that all your other banks will close? Cause I’ve heared that’s a load of rubbish by some people.... asking for a friend btw.

Yeah thats right but banks have fraud protection policies and most likely your other banks will close banks check cifas and it’s not a load of rubbish some peoples other accounts dont get closed but banks clock on most of the times
Let me attach it again, yeah they would after 60 days and most of the times they would alert other banks and close your bank account and if your trynna open a new bank account it’s gonna be near impossible for 6 years mate

My bank account hasn’t closed yet, I’ve still got about 30 days left, if I prove that I wasn’t frauding will I get away with it or will it 100% close? I’ve got a NatWest savings account so I’m worried they’re going to close that.
Yeah thats right but banks have fraud protection policies and most likely your other banks will close banks check cifas and it’s not a load of rubbish some peoples other accounts dont get closed but banks clock on most of the times

So nobody really knows if your other banks will find out??? Is savings account too?? Like help to buy isas
My bank account hasn’t closed yet, I’ve still got about 30 days left, if I prove that I wasn’t frauding will I get away with it or will it 100% close? I’ve got a NatWest savings account so I’m worried they’re going to close that.

If you prove to them you wasn’t fraud they might not close the account it’s up to them and if your bank account closes that will probably close sooner or later
So nobody really knows if your other banks will find out??? Is savings account too?? Like help to buy isas

They probably will find out banks share information with other banks and if you get a cifas marker that will probably go aswell it’s important to ring your bank and say your not involved with any fraud ASAP before its to late
They probably will find out banks share information with other banks and if you get a cifas marker that will probably go aswell it’s important to ring your bank and say your not involved with any fraud ASAP before its to late

How do you even know if they will place a cifa against you? If your account is to do with fraud will they definitely put one against you?
And is that even if you’ve got really good relationships with the other banks that you’re using?? I’ve never even used my savings account with NatWest so I don’t see why they’d shut that? Just deposit money in there with a standing order every week.
Reply 16
And is that even if you’ve got really good relationships with the other banks that you’re using?? I’ve never even used my savings account with NatWest so I don’t see why they’d shut that? Just deposit money in there with a standing order every week.

Mainstream banks don't like fraudsters.. opens up a level of risk..
Original post by IWMTom
Mainstream banks don't like fraudsters.. opens up a level of risk..

Literally sold 1 thing and it wasn’t even a fraud so I’m trying to sort it and I hopefully will. My 2 other accounts have been absolutely fine too so worst comes to worst if my Lloyd’s does close I hope the other 2 don’t..
Reply 18
Literally sold 1 thing and it wasn’t even a fraud so I’m trying to sort it and I hopefully will. My 2 other accounts have been absolutely fine too so worst comes to worst if my Lloyd’s does close I hope the other 2 don’t..

If you have a CIFAS marker, expect all accounts with mainstream banks to close in a similar fashion.
Original post by IWMTom
If you have a CIFAS marker, expect all accounts with mainstream banks to close in a similar fashion.

I don’t even know if I’ll have a cifa marker, I’ve had a letter saying my Lloyd’s account will be closed in 65 days