The Student Room Group

Choosing A Levels

Is it bad to have three essay based A Levels? I'm currently thinking Law, English Lit and Psychology.

Scroll to see replies

I am in year 13 and did Biology, English LangLit combined and Geography with both geography and English being very essay-based subjects. The only difficulty I have sometimes had is that sometimes different exam boards want you to write in different ways so it can get confusing to remember to use the right techniques with the right subject. It just takes practice but overall I never found any large difficulty in it. :smile:
Reply 2
I have some friends who take all essay-based a levels. They have said though sometimes it can be a struggle, as long as you stay on top of the work load you should be fine. As long as you generally enjoy essay-writing and don't mind writing for long periods, you'll manage. However they have said that if you aren't the biggest fan then maybe switch out one for another subject.

They have also said that some of the skills cross over with other essay writing subjects which may be useful!
Not at all! What future career are you think of? It’s okay if you are not sure!
Reply 4
Original post by Rachelezy
I am in year 13 and did Biology, English LangLit combined and Geography with both geography and English being very essay-based subjects. The only difficulty I have sometimes had is that sometimes different exam boards want you to write in different ways so it can get confusing to remember to use the right techniques with the right subject. It just takes practice but overall I never found any large difficulty in it. :smile:

Okay thank you so much for the advice
Reply 5
Original post by ohnojay
I have some friends who take all essay-based a levels. They have said though sometimes it can be a struggle, as long as you stay on top of the work load you should be fine. As long as you generally enjoy essay-writing and don't mind writing for long periods, you'll manage. However they have said that if you aren't the biggest fan then maybe switch out one for another subject.

They have also said that some of the skills cross over with other essay writing subjects which may be useful!

Thank you, I will bear this in mind while I think it through!!
Reply 6
Original post by 5hyl33n
Not at all! What future career are you think of? It’s okay if you are not sure!

I'm currently thinking a Prosecution Solicitor but I'm not set on it
Original post by NiamhEmma.S
I'm currently thinking a Prosecution Solicitor but I'm not set on it

In that case, those A-Levels are really good and well-suited towards that career! If you need any advice on A-Level Psychology, feel free to PM or mention me on this thread and I will do my best to provide any information on the A-Level.
Reply 8
Is it bad to have three essay based A Levels? I'm currently thinking Law, English Lit and Psychology.

I took psychology, history and business studies which were all essay based and I didnt find it challenging or too much, however it might be best to have perhaps a different subject if you are not sure what career you want to go in. I do law at university now and the essay subjects have helped me a lot!

I took Law, Psychology and RE (all essay modules). I would say that Psychology isn’t an essay subject in the way that RE/History or English lit is. For me, it was more like GCSE science in structure in terms of memorisation e.g. labelling diagrams, short answer questions and then the occasional 8 or 16 mark q. The 8 and 16 mark ‘essays’ were half describing the studies around the topic and half evaluation (although there are literally evaluation sections in the textbooks so this doesn’t need to be too deep). I didn’t find law too strenuous at AS level as it was just a selection of smaller mark questions which were easily predictable and it was clear where marks could be picked up.

I dropped economics after first year despite it appearing to be a less essay-based subject (however I would say it had more challenging essays which required more independent thought and research than the others). Overall, I didn’t struggle with 3 true essay subjects and did well because I enjoyed them!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
In that case, those A-Levels are really good and well-suited towards that career! If you need any advice on A-Level Psychology, feel free to PM or mention me on this thread and I will do my best to provide any information on the A-Level.

Okay thank you so much, will do!!
Original post by FBS2000
I took psychology, history and business studies which were all essay based and I didnt find it challenging or too much, however it might be best to have perhaps a different subject if you are not sure what career you want to go in. I do law at university now and the essay subjects have helped me a lot!

Okay thank you for this advice, I'm also considering politics but I dont know how essay based that is
Original post by lawcalling
I took Law, Psychology and RE (all essay modules). I would say that Psychology isn’t an essay subject in the way that RE/History or English lit is. For me, it was more like GCSE science in structure in terms of memorisation e.g. labelling diagrams, short answer questions and then the occasional 8 or 16 mark q. The 8 and 16 mark ‘essays’ were half describing the studies around the topic and half evaluation (although there are literally evaluation sections in the textbooks so this doesn’t need to be too deep). I didn’t find law too strenuous at AS level as it was just a selection of smaller mark questions which were easily predictable and it was clear where marks could be picked up.

I dropped economics after first year despite it appearing to be a less essay-based subject (however I would say it had more challenging essays which required more independent thought and research than the others). Overall, I didn’t struggle with 3 true essay subjects and did well because I enjoyed them!

Oh cool! Thank you, that's really helped put me at ease, I'm still gonna have a think but this advice definitely helps me!
Admissions tutors from Oxford have said they prefer to see subjects that nurture a range of skills but honestly, I think those will be fine! Especially if you want to study an essay based degree at university since those subjects will really prepare you. Good luck :smile:
Original post by apolaroidofus
Admissions tutors from Oxford have said they prefer to see subjects that nurture a range of skills but honestly, I think those will be fine! Especially if you want to study an essay based degree at university since those subjects will really prepare you. Good luck :smile:

I dont think I'm good enough to get into Oxford haha, okay cool thank you!

:laugh:, bad for what? Medicine - certainly. History - not so much.

What an odd question.
Original post by Reality Check
:laugh:, bad for what? Medicine - certainly. History - not so much.

What an odd question.

Lucky for me I have no interest in medicine and if I did, english lit and law are certainly not subjects I would choose though thank you for your input!!
No it's not bad
Original post by JayTutor01
No it's not bad

Okay thank you
Reply 19

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just depends on what you want to do for higher education. If you want to pursue a science or mathematical related or even social science like economics, doing all essay writing subjects will severely disadvantage you. But if you want to do law, English, history, politics etc essay writing A level subjects will be ideal. Check the university entry requirements for subjects you are interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest